MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison oh Madison

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Madison oh Madison

Postby rabble » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:54 am

Point. When it's that obvious that he really isn't listening when he rants, just pointing it out should have been enough.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:06 pm

This thread has devolved.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:05 pm

Police: Persons of interest identified in Ball attack

Back in the day they were called suspects.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Great link/news henry. Really.
Allow me to quote myself here:
[cornbread]
Always amusing when people put themselves in full action figure of an event they know nothing about.

From your link:

Police said there was a fight on the Friday before Ball was attacked Wednesday

So people were attacking each other before ball was "attacked"?
Or was it just a continuation of a fight? :lol:
I'm always amused how creative writers, aka agenda driven performers, aka, journalists, formerly known as reporters shade and slant "news", making them into little more than stories.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ralphie w » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:03 am

I love this thread--almost everyone is on my currently ignore list.
ralphie w

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:01 am

rabble wrote:I'm sorry. I should have said "Thanks Captain Obvious, no one understood what hyperbole was till you explained the difference."

Could you spout some more platitudes? Cause they really help to prove whatever the hell point you're trying to make. At least, I think you're trying to make a point other than "I like guns."

Ah! Just a critique of my writing style, or as I said: pointless.

Thank you, Shakespeare.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:41 am

bdog wrote:Dman in what scenario does a gun help? Seems like in most of these cases the perps begin the encounter by asking for a cigarette, then proceed to a beat down a second later. The only time I've heard this work out well for the victim was the Bernie Goetz case.

But Bernie started shooting before any harm was done to him.

What if they really are just asking for a cigarette?

In what scenario does a gun help? When it saves your ass. If you need to look back as far as Bernie Goetz, you aren't following the news. I posted quite a few more recent examples in an old thread.

You are correct, attacks often do start with a request for a cigarette, a light, a request for the time or spare change: any seemingly innocent excuse to allow a person to close the distance to you and to distract your attention away as you look down at your watch or search for a lighter or smoke. This is exactly why when I'm teaching a defensive shooting class I emphasize the need to be particularly alert during such requests and not to lower the eyes to your watch or pockets or anywhere other than the person or persons around you, and to not allow them to get too close to you. If you get a request for the time, don't look down at your watch, raise it up in front of your face so the other person is still within your visual field. This is all part of practicing good awareness skills that I emphasize. I don't think it means you need to walk around feeling that you're about to be jumped at any moment. I recommend maintaining the same level of awareness that you have in traffic on the roads: observing what is around you on all sides, the direction of travel, the speeds involved, sudden changes or motions, potential blind spots ahead. These are all equally valid concepts on foot as well as on the road.

My friend, who is an advanced martial arts practitioner as well being an advanced combat shooter and fellow instructor, likes to point out that it's perfectly acceptable to just say "no" to random requests on the street and to keep moving. She'd rather be perceived as rude than be an easy target. She is certainly not an easy target. No no no, not at all.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Montee was jumped from behind by five guys. What could he have done to save his own ass?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Montee was jumped from behind by five guys. What could he have done to save his own ass?

Once he was jumped off guard, perhaps very little. But you can lessen your vulnerability by 1-- not walking alone, 2-- staying sober 3-- remaining alert and not letting people get behind you 4-- learning the signs of an impending attack 5-- staying off the streets at bar time 6-- getting some defensive training 7-- carrying a weapon (a force multiplier) anything from a can of pepper spray to a knife or gun -- or an improvised weapon such as a flashlight, 8-- putting some thought into your route of travel

add to this: 9-- fighting back like a son of a bitch.

Remember Reagan was protected by the Secret Service, arguably the best trained, equipped and prepared protective detail in the world, and he nearly died. There's never a guarantee of your safety, but there are plenty of things you can do to enhance it.

I'd put #3 and #9 as the most important because other than staying sober the others may not always be available options.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Once he was jumped off guard, perhaps very little. But you can lessen your vulnerability by 1-- not walking alone, 2-- staying sober 3-- remaining alert and not letting people get behind you 4-- learning the signs of an impending attack 5-- staying off the streets at bar time 6-- getting some defensive training 7-- carrying a weapon (a force multiplier) anything from a can of pepper spray to a knife or gun -- or an improvised weapon such as a flashlight, 8-- putting some thought into your route of travel

add to this: 9-- fighting back like a son of a bitch.

Agreed. Though in my 26 years of living downtown, I've ignored 1, 2, 5, and 7 on many occasions (unless walking with a house key poking out between the fingers of my closed fist counts for #7), and only once had to use 9, and it wasn't so much fighting as being loud and angry.

I'd add: walking fast and purposefully, and being tall (not an option for Mr Ball, unfortunately). It's not a given, but in general, the less you look like a victim, the less likely you are to be one.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Ducatista wrote:walking with a house key poking out between the fingers of my closed fist counts

Nah, that was just a feel good thing for you.

I'd add: walking fast and purposefully, and being tall.

lol, "purposefully tall".
I think this guy was tall:

http://truxter.org/2012/04/04/baltimore-mugging/

in general, the less you look like a victim, the less likely you are to be one.

Now that's something most people can agree with !
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:58 am

Dangerousman wrote:And Jesus H. Fucking Christ, another pointless post from you?

Sorry to degenerate from a previous page, but I really would like to know ...

What does the "H." stand for? What was Jesus' middle name?

My guess: Holy

Anyone know? It's a question that's been floating around in my brain since at least 2000.

Thanks in advance, and carry on.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:51 am

Have you seen pictorial representations of Jesus? The H stands for Hairy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 am

city2countrygal wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:And Jesus H. Fucking Christ, another pointless post from you?

Sorry to degenerate from a previous page, but I really would like to know ...

What does the "H." stand for? What was Jesus' middle name?

My guess: Holy

Anyone know? It's a question that's been floating around in my brain since at least 2000.

Thanks in advance, and carry on.

The only time I ever saw it written out, it was Horatio.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:56 am

You guys going to do Muhammad next?

Yeah - didn't think so.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines