MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

U.S. Senate - next big local election

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: U.S. Senate - next big local election

Postby gargantua » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Anyone else going to cross over to the GOP primary to try to pick Tammy's opponent? All I know is I want Hovde to lose. It would be quite an embarrassment to put yet another Ron Johnson in the Senate.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:24 pm

If we're going to do that we probably need to unite behind one candidate, not just scatter. Thompson is the least disgusting.

Who do you think Walker will endorse? I'm thinking it's Hovde. They seem to be cut out of the same piece of cloth.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:16 pm

snoqueen wrote:Who do you think Walker will endorse? I'm thinking it's Hovde. They seem to be cut out of the same piece of cloth.

I'm wondering if he's going to endorse any of the primary candidates. He might be thinking it's safer to sit back and let it happen. That way it's easier to spin some kind of strategy to rally behind whoever wins. Without a doubt, though, Fitz was likely counting on the primary nod from Scooter.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:24 pm

snoqueen wrote:If we're going to do that we probably need to unite behind one candidate, not just scatter. Thompson is the least disgusting.

Who do you think Walker will endorse? I'm thinking it's Hovde. They seem to be cut out of the same piece of cloth.

That (Thompson) is how I'm leaning. My theory is to try to support the least objectionable prospect in the event Tammy loses.

If Walker endorses, I'd be shocked if it isn't Hovde. I don't know what he stands to gain by making an endorsement though.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:37 pm

In the Senate race, Baldwin was tied with Thompson at 47 points apiece, while she led hedge fund manager Eric Hovde 47-43 and former Congressman Mark Neumann 48-45.

The three Republican candidates, as well as Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald, will face off in a partisan primary Tuesday.

Officials said in a release the polls, which were conducted between July 31 and Aug. 6, have a margin of error of 2.6 percent.

I see this poll didn't bother to ask about Fitzgerald.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Hovde gains a little respect from me by refusing to sign Norquist's no tax pledge.
He is one of a very small group of Republican candidates who refuse to sign the Americans for Tax Reform’s “Taxpayer Protection Pledge,” which commits candidates to opposing any legislation that would result in any type of tax increase.

All three of Hovde’s opponents in the GOP primary have signed the pledge, which has become nearly a prerequisite for a successful Republican candidate due to the power of ATR’s leader, Grover Norquist, in conservative politics.
In explaining his opposition to the pledge to Green Bay conservative radio talk show host Jerry Bader, Hovde argued, as have many liberals, that Norquist’s pledge simply protects the status quo, in which politically connected corporations carve out giant loopholes in the tax code. When anybody attempts to close those loopholes, Norquist brands them as “tax hikers.”

“Behind the story with Grover Norquist is he’s funded by giant corporations that have created loopholes in our tax system,” said Hovde. “We need to lower the rates, but we also have to get rid of the corporate welfare. How is a small business going to compete if they’re trying to compete against General Electric, that in some years, pays nothing because they can buy off Washington politicians?”
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:35 pm

I gotta say I also liked that Hovde refused to sign. I will also admit that he does his ads really well. He delivers his message with confidence and an ease that I think will draw people to him.

Doesn't mean I'm voting for him.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government