MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Dane County Clerk on Aug 14

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Dane County Clerk on Aug 14

Postby Shorty » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:53 pm

There are four Democrats (and no Repubs) running for County Clerk. Who is best to vote for?

Santiago Rosas
Mike Quieto
Diane Hermann-Brown
Scott McDonnell
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dane County Clerk on Aug 14

Postby gargantua » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:27 pm

I can't honestly say I know who'd be best but I can tell you who I wouldn't vote for: Scott McDonell.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Shorty wrote:There are four Democrats (and no Repubs) running for County Clerk. Who is best to vote for?

Santiago Rosas: http://www.santiagorosascountyclerk.com/
Mike Quieto: http://mike4daneclerk.com/?page_id=18
Diane Hermann-Brown: http://dianefordanecountyclerk.com
Scott McDonnell: http://scottmcdonell.com/

http://lwvdanecounty.org/content/dane-county-clerk

Based on all that and on no insider information whatsoever I'm leaning toward Diane Hermann-Brown because it sounds like she's got the most relevant background and knows the information system she'll be working on, so hopefully we won't get another Kathy Nickolaus. Also I gave her points for not padding her statements on the LWV questionnaire.

Anyone else?
Last edited by snoqueen on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:29 am

Hermann-Brown, for similar reasons.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby burstingsun » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:59 am

Listen to what Diane Hermann-Brown has to say in this press conference held by the Brothers Fitzgerald and other Republican legislators opposing a bill to expand voter access. Hermann-Brown's piece starts exactly 6 minutes in, and she twice repeats her sentiment, "Voting is a right. Absentee voting is a privilege."

She forgets that to exercise the right to vote, some voters must vote absentee. Absentee voting is a tool to ensure the right to vote, not just a privilege.

In the video, Hermann-Brown also complains that Clerk's offices should not be open for absentee voting the weekend before the election. Her rationale? She's salaried meaning that, "After 4:30, I'm an indentured servant to the community."

I want a clerk that will work to expand access to the polls so that everyone can access their right to vote, not one who actively works with Scott and Jeff Fitzgerald to squash that right.
burstingsun
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:21 am

burstingsun wrote:In the video, Hermann-Brown also complains that Clerk's offices should not be open for absentee voting the weekend before the election. Her rationale? She's salaried meaning that, "After 4:30, I'm an indentured servant to the community.

She is also wrong. If she were hourly, then her week would be done at 4:30 on Friday. But since she is salaried, her day is done when her work is done. If she has to work all weekend to accomplish that, then she has to work all weekend. That's what the rest of us salaried folk do, and we don't get paid time-and-a-half or overtime to do it. If we're lucky, our employer lets us take some time off in compensation, but they are not legally required to do so.

If working all weekend a couple times a year strikes her as unfair, then maybe she should find another line of work.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:19 pm

All good points, but I would like to know if burstingsun has any personal connection to another candidate in the race. I totally disagree that absentee voting is not a right. It's legal, and availing oneself of a legal alternative to a right is, well, also a right.

Also, is there a missing link to a video or a transcript in b-sun's post?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby burstingsun » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:43 pm

Snoqueen,

I forgot to include the link to the video, apparently. Here it is: http://www.wiseye.org/videoplayer/vp.html?sid=3694

Full disclosure: I am Mike Quieto's campaign treasurer. I am supporting him and agreed to take on the role of his treasurer because of Mike's strong background in election law, his experience working in the City Clerk's office in Madison, and his work fighting to ensure access to the right to vote and against voter suppression laws, among other things. Mike has dedicated his career to this work making him the one candidate who is both well-prepared for the office and committed to the values I expect in a County Clerk.
burstingsun
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:13 pm

http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-electi ... oting.aspx

A list of state absentee voting rules.

Do the states that require an excuse to vote absentee violate voting rights? If so, there seems to be a lot of disenfranchising going on.

Herman-Brown's stated "indentured servant" logic, if that's what she said ( I can't see the video), is obviously pretty dumb. But saying that closing the absentee window by a weekend (a move that county clerks of both parties say will make preparing for elections easier) violates a right is also pretty dumb.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:23 pm

SlayerDave wrote:Herman-Brown's stated "indentured servant" logic, if that's what she said ( I can't see the video), is obviously pretty dumb. But saying that closing the absentee window by a weekend (a move that county clerks of both parties say will make preparing for elections easier) violates a right is also pretty dumb.

Elections, and election rules, are not there to make life easier for clerks. They are there to ensure free and fair elections, and (until recently) to encourage the largest percentage of the electorate to exercise their right to vote. Clerks serve the electorate, not vice-versa.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Detritus wrote:
SlayerDave wrote:Herman-Brown's stated "indentured servant" logic, if that's what she said ( I can't see the video), is obviously pretty dumb. But saying that closing the absentee window by a weekend (a move that county clerks of both parties say will make preparing for elections easier) violates a right is also pretty dumb.

Elections, and election rules, are not there to make life easier for clerks. They are there to ensure free and fair elections, and (until recently) to encourage the largest percentage of the electorate to exercise their right to vote. Clerks serve the electorate, not vice-versa.

Yes, obviously. I didn't mean easier in the sense that clerks could go home over the weekend and sip mimosas. I meant easier in the sense of keeping them from getting overwhelmed on Monday when they have all sorts of things to be getting ready for the election on Tuesday.

Unlike what has been implied, this is not an entirely recent idea. Note this State Journal article from 2009:

Most absentee ballots would have to be cast no later than the Friday before Election Day under proposals endorsed by the state Government Accountability Board.

The board is recommending that the Legislature and Gov. Jim Doyle set a deadline for in-person absentee ballots of 5 p.m. Friday before a Tuesday election. The current deadline is 5 p.m. the day before an election.

Dozens of local elections officials had asked for the change, saying they were overwhelmed by the number of voters who came in just before the November 2008 election to cast absentee ballots.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt ... 03286.html
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:42 pm

SlayerDave wrote:
Detritus wrote:Elections, and election rules, are not there to make life easier for clerks. They are there to ensure free and fair elections, and (until recently) to encourage the largest percentage of the electorate to exercise their right to vote. Clerks serve the electorate, not vice-versa.

Yes, obviously. I didn't mean easier in the sense that clerks could go home over the weekend and sip mimosas. I meant easier in the sense of keeping them from getting overwhelmed on Monday when they have all sorts of things to be getting ready for the election on Tuesday.

Then get them more staff or better resources for handling the elections. That strikes me as a better solution than limiting absentee voting. Voting is supposed to be the core act of our representative democracy, after all.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm not really seeking to argue the policy. I was fine with it before, I'm fine with it now. You clearly dislike it, so vote against H-B on primary day. That's what elections are for.

I was only making two points. One, absentee voting is not a"right" in the sense that there can be no restrictions put upon it. Some states, as show in the link I posted earlier,are pretty restrictive about it. And two, to insinuate that H-B, with her support of the change, is somehow a Fitzgerald ally, is silly. The changes were asked for by county clerks in 2008, and recommended by the GAB in 2009, long before most Wisconsinites had heard of the Fitzgeralds.

As for the subject of early voting more generally, I'd encourage you to read this op-ed by Eliot Cutler: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 00112.html

Cutler was a left of center independent who lost a three way race for Maine Gov. to a Tea Partier after early voters voted for the Democrat, who later faded. I like voting as close to election day as possible, so voters have all possible info. Just my two cents though.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby SlayerDave » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Has Quieto been endorsed by Pocan and Risser?
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:10 pm

SlayerDave wrote:Has Quieto been endorsed by Pocan and Risser?

Here are the endorsements from his website.

Neither Polcan nor Risser are listed, but I just got a campaign flyer in the mail and both of them are pictured with Quieto.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government