MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Sikh temple shooting

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Sikh temple shooting

Postby rabble » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:53 pm

(CBS/AP) OAK CREEK, Wis. - Seven people were killed and at least three people wounded in shootings at a Sikh temple outside of Milwaukee Sunday morning. outside of Milwaukee Sunday morning.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sikh temple shooting

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:59 pm

D-Man will probably blame it on the lack of situational awareness.

channel3000.com
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:48 pm

I was wondering if someone would start a separate thread on this....which should be in the 'gun control' thread because, well, look at old henry chiming in with his one liner logic.

But if this stays a separate subject....

The evil, law breaking murderer was only STOPPED by someone armed with a....dare I say, "gun"!?

In a case like this, I'd recommend the people at the temple would carry semi autos (called "fully automatic" by most leftist media and most silly leftists) that don't have a "safety switch".

Wonder what the cops carried that stopped him?
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:D-Man will probably blame it on the lack of situational awareness.

channel3000.com

No, I'd blame the perpetrator and without more information nothing else.

Having situational awareness is only one of a number of things that will reduce, but not eliminate, your vulnerability. No person is invulnerable, but everyone can take reasonable steps to enhance their security. Or, fail to take reasonable steps and risk the consequences.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Dangerousman wrote:No, I'd blame the perpetrator and without more information nothing else.
...Having situational awareness...fail to take reasonable steps and risk the consequences.

Be interesting to see what the history is with that shooting.

But, always letting leftists give me laughs, anyone wanna bet how soon it will be before some leftists blame conservatives?
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Is it possible that anti-Muslim hysteria, or any hysteria for that matter, combined with easy access to firearms makes situations like this more likely? We need more facts on this specific situation, but as a general principle it seems that demonizing a group of people as an election tactic creates an unreasonable risk that armed vigilantes will commit violence and believe that their violence is justified.

I'm sure Wayne LaPierre will just say that people should start taking their guns to church with them.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:44 pm

pjbogart wrote:We need more facts on this specific situation, but as a general principle it seems that demonizing a group of people as an election tactic creates an unreasonable risk that armed vigilantes will commit violence and believe that their violence is justified.

You're suggesting that Sikh's were targeted because the official Sikh position, by the world's highest Sikh authority, Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti, is that gay marriage is against Sikh code and "the laws of nature"? Addressing Canadian MPs in 2005, Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti said, "The basic duty of Sikh MPs in Canada should be to support laws that stop this kind of practice [homosexuality...] to ensure that Sikhs do not fall prey to this practice."

I suppose you could be right, PJ, this could be a violent subgroup of, for example, the people who are boycotting and protesting that chicken sandwich Christian businessman who expressed similar beliefs in what some people call "traditional values".

"[D]emonizing a group of people as an election tactic creates an unreasonable risk that armed vigilantes will commit violence and believe that their violence is justified."

You might be on to something there, PJ. You just might be on to something.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:06 pm

pjbogart wrote:Is it possible that...

Thank You. :D
Pretty much anything is possible...even an 'honor killing' or what have you. We don't know...but in this time of not knowing is when the demagogues put forth this unknown incident as proof of their whatever viewpoint.

The two things we do know is an armed person came there and killed a lot of people and the only thing that stopped it is someone else with a gun.

I'm sure Wayne LaPierre will just say that people should start taking their guns to church with them.

Off the top of my head, in states I've resided in, there have been two incidents of an armed nutbag going to a 'church' with the intent on shooting as many people as he/she/it can.
I stopped going to crowded places a long time ago due to the violence, mostly shootings. So I don't go to any places that have metal detectors....unless I'm carried in. lol. (I don't think most folks in madison will get that one).

If I were to go to a church I'd seriously think about carrying a firearm. Like I tell some folks, no one knows if I'm carrying and if they find out, they're doing something very bad.......

Wait, ain't that the point?
Or maybe we all should do what the leftist running handgun control incorporated (an evil "corporation"?) said we should do:

When confronted by violent criminals, you should “put up no defense – give them what they want, or run” (Handgun Control Inc. Chairman Pete Shields, Guns Don’t Die – People Do, 1981, p. 125)

So, this begs the question, if a woman is going to be raped, and she follows the leftist creed of "just "give them what they want", what should she think about while her rapist(s) are enjoying themselves raping her?
She can't do anything else but be raped.
So what should an unarmed woman being raped think about while she's being raped?

Really, leftists want to tell a woman she should "put up no defense" when she's going to be raped. So if leftists are going to be so dictatorial in her (non) actions, shouldn't they also tell her what to think about while she's being raped?
Maybe a summer cruise or the like? Or pretend her rapist(s) are her husband/boyfriend/fiancee? Or a movie star hunk?

Is this offensive to people?
Why? Maybe because in theory, it's always "them" or "other people" that have to deal with the consequences of sheltered, isolated and insulated people's rules spouted.

After the CO movie shooting, zerobams brought up his daughters going to movies. He forgot to say that they would have armed people protecting his daughters. Didn't diane fineswine carry a GUN after harvey milk got shot? Yet she's against concealed carry?
So many examples....

Something to think about....
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Meade wrote:You're suggesting that Sikh's were targeted because the official Sikh position...
You just might be on to something.

Meade, I think you're on something. Whatever it is, I don't want it. And when we start legalizing drugs, that shit stays off the list.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Cornbread wrote:
When confronted by violent criminals, you should “put up no defense – give them what they want, or run” (Handgun Control Inc. Chairman Pete Shields, Guns Don’t Die – People Do, 1981, p. 125)

Personal security advice from Pete Shields is like taking dating tips from Ted Bundy.

(Although I'm sure Shields is responsible for a much higher body count.)
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:59 am

Wade Michael Page
Wade had been a member of the racist skinhead band End Apathy, based in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in 2010, said Heidi Beirich, director of the intelligence project at the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Alabama.

Wade also tried to buy goods from the National Alliance, a neo-Nazi group, in 2000, she said.

"That's all we know about Wade. We are still digging through our files," she said.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Well we know he was a private citizen who legally purchased a 9mm semi-auto handgun to use criminally.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:36 pm

david cohen wrote:Well we know he was a private citizen who legally purchased a 9mm semi-auto handgun to use criminally.

Well let's say that's true. Would you have felt better if he had stolen it from a cop? Or used Molotov cocktails?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 pm

It is just barely possible that an attempt to steal a cop's gun might not be successful.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:49 pm

rabble wrote:It is just barely possible that an attempt to steal a cop's gun might not be successful.

Maybe, maybe not.

FBI Releases Preliminary Statistics for Law Enforcement Officers Killed in 2010

Seven victim officers had their weapons stolen; seven officers were killed with their own weapons.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press- ... ed-in-2010
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines