MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Adam Powell on the state of online community

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Adam Powell on the state of online community

Postby amused2death » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:21 pm

To quote Sam Axe " Bunch of whiny little bitches "

I have been around here for about 8 years (7 of them under a different name ) and haven't posted in awhile for various reasons but in those years i have seen numerous posters that weren't worth my time to read or respond to. So you know what i did and continue to do? Skip passed their posts and don't respond to them. It's actually pretty simple of a solution and i don't understand why that seems so hard for others?
amused2death

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:28 pm

I don't understand it either. But it's there. It's getting to the point where there's nothing to skip to. All of it's troll or troll feeders and the trolls are pretty damn motivated.

How come we can't do something with that like/dislike thing on some of the other forums? If enough people dislike a post, it disappears. And if enough people dislike a poster, he can't post.

Then it would be all, you know, democracy and stuff. Wouldn't that help?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:48 am

Meade wrote:Word.

"Everyone knows that the bird is the word"--by (fittingly, given I'm responding to Larry) the Trashmen.

Let it Meade.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:06 pm

rabble wrote:How come we can't do something with that like/dislike thing on some of the other forums? If enough people dislike a post, it disappears. And if enough people dislike a poster, he can't post.

Then it would be all, you know, democracy and stuff. Wouldn't that help?

Maybe that's why Larry or Cbread or somebody (can't remember who, it was so dumb) made a whole bunch of new accounts the other day.

Somewhere on the internet is a site where these types all get together and dream up new ways to wreck other people's conversations, and on that site a person posted "make a whole bunch of new accounts so you can be ready if they institute a thumbs-up/down system."

And on that very day his followers went out forthwith and carried out the will of the lord, smiting many with the Axe of Wrath. Or somethin'.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:22 pm

snoqueen wrote:Maybe that's why Larry or Cbread or somebody (can't remember who, it was so dumb) made a whole bunch of new accounts the other day.

The other one was bdog. He's quite the follower.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:57 pm

Posted today by my pal Waggy Jim:

WELL Community Members Create For-Profit Corporation in Bid to Buy The WELL
http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2012/08/the-we ... unity.html

It's short. Read it yet? OK.

I think the question we all have to ask ourselves after reading this: how much do we really care? Enough to raise more than $100,000 and form a corporation?

Say, for example, Isthmus decides Forum is more trouble than it is worth and shuts it down. (Entirely possible that this transpires; it's a profit/loss consideration on the balance sheet at Isthmus and no more from a purely financial standpoint.)

How much would you kick in to save it? $1000? $500? $50?

And before you all say "that's crazy talk, I wouldn't pay a dime!" remember that this is exactly how members of the WELL were forced to evaluate their community: in dollars.

One time payment. What's it worth to you?
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:41 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Maybe that's why Larry or Cbread or somebody (can't remember who, it was so dumb) made a whole bunch of new accounts the other day.

Henry WHAT THE FUCK are you talking about?

Are you accusing me of creating new accounts?

Or is this your usual gibberish?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:46 pm

I don't know anything about a wave of sockpuppets, but I can tell you that it'd be really easy to find spammers by skimming through the Members list and picking out the ones with spam URLs attached to their accounts.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:05 pm

bdog wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

Henry WHAT THE FUCK are you talking about?

Are you accusing me of creating new accounts?

Or is this your usual gibberish?

There were only three forons posting in the meaningless threads about new accounts. Two were identified by sno. You were the other one. Maybe you were just playing toadie to the other two, as you are wont to do when you "welcomed" those sockpuppets.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Henry Vilas and snoqueen are being trollish bullies, making false accusations based on no evidence. They apparently have no shame.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm sure Meade will have no trouble proving that he didn't create all those new accounts.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Adam Powell wrote:Say, for example, Isthmus decides Forum is more trouble than it is worth and shuts it down. (Entirely possible that this transpires; it's a profit/loss consideration on the balance sheet at Isthmus and no more from a purely financial standpoint.)

How much would you kick in to save it? $1000? $500? $50?

I'll tell you just as soon as Isthmus shares with me their financial balance sheet and profit and loss statement.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Detritus wrote:I'm sure Meade will have no trouble proving that he didn't create all those new accounts.

I'm sure Detritus will have no trouble proving he isn't a pedophile.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:45 pm

...as soon as Isthmus shares with me their financial balance sheet and profit and loss statement.

He wasn't suggesting somebody buy Isthmus. He was suggesting somebody buy the Forum from Isthmus, I thought.

I didn't think it was the greatest suggestion, due to the fact the forum's value is mostly through its being part of Isthmus's web presence and part of what people can choose to look at when they go to thedailypage.com. Ideally, the forum draws people to the Isthmus pages and its advertisers, and vice versa, to mutual benefit. The forum wouldn't be worth much as a standalone because there are so many other ways to engage in web discussion for free.

The Well is a whole 'nother critter, in reputation, in venerability, and in size and scope.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:There were only three forons posting in the meaningless threads about new accounts. Two were identified by sno. You were the other one. Maybe you were just playing toadie to the other two, as you are wont to do when you "welcomed" those sockpuppets.

There were at least 4 Henry. You posted in my "Welcome DixieMilano" thread (that I created several months ago btw).

Are you my toadie now?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com