MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Sikh temple shooting

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Sikh temple shooting

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Cornbread, be nice!
Last edited by Radical Cheerleader on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:07 pm

Why are you scolding Cornbread, Radical Cheerleader? Go to page 1 of this thread and you'll see that it was Cornbread who was the first to condemn the murderer as aa "evil, law breaking murderer".

By contrast, Henry Vilas, in the second comment of the thread, took the opportunity to use the murder to fling an aspersion at a fellow member of the forum. But you have no reproach for Henry Vilas?

Edit to add: Interesting that Radical Cheerleader scrubbed all that after being challenged. In his original comment, among other things, I remember he called Cornbread a "sociopath".
Last edited by Meade on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:23 am

Clearly M'waukee has racial issues. And guns aren't the problem. Recall the mass beatings of whites by blacks at the State Fair and the Milwuakee mall riot last year.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:35 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Clearly M'waukee has racial issues. And guns aren't the problem. Recall the mass beatings of whites by blacks at the State Fair and the Milwuakee mall riot last year.

Ned's right. Clearly this man killed a bunch of people at a Sikh Temple because of the Negroes who got all uppity at the State Fair. I mean, the man practically had a right to kill those Sikhs. If someone beats up someone who looks like you, the proper course of action is to go kill six people who don't look like you.

Or were you just trying to change the subject?

By the way, Ned, when you bring up "black on white" violence in response to a situation like this, it seems almost as though you're justifying the crime. Perhaps you should revive your "Enemies Among Us" thread.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:52 am

pjbogart wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Clearly M'waukee has racial issues. And guns aren't the problem. Recall the mass beatings of whites by blacks at the State Fair and the Milwuakee mall riot last year.

Ned's right. Clearly this man killed a bunch of people at a Sikh Temple because of the Negroes who got all uppity at the State Fair. I mean, the man practically had a right to kill those Sikhs. If someone beats up someone who looks like you, the proper course of action is to go kill six people who don't look like you.

Or were you just trying to change the subject?

By the way, Ned, when you bring up "black on white" violence in response to a situation like this, it seems almost as though you're justifying the crime. Perhaps you should revive your "Enemies Among Us" thread.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:58 am

You're seriously trying to justify the shooting by blaming it on black people?

The strife between whites & blacks in Milwaukee has nothing to do with why a white supremacist would kill peaceful Sikhs while praying in their temple. Sikhs are about the most friendly and welcoming people you could ever meet. The killer was playing out a narrative in his sick mind to justify his actions, and it had little connection with reality.

Clearly you don't understand white supremacy. Being a white supremacist and being bitter toward just black people are not the same. White supremacists are always in fear that people of all other races are going to wipe out the white race. Just look at Hitler. White supremacists are called neo-Nazis for a reason.

Guns are always part of the problem when somebody commits a mass shooting. Dealing with the problem is the hard part.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:23 pm

I doubt that the majority of mass murderers, at least in the U.S., are making political statements, most are making a "look at what kind of shit can happen when a crazy person falls through the cracks" statement. When a person is both crazy and political, then you get something like the Sikh shooting which was probably still 90% crazy and 10% political. In the U.S. most highly political people of any persuasion, even those with extreme political opinions, are not motivated to acts of extreme violence due to their politics.

Note to Snoqueen. I have never claimed that guns are the answer to society's problems. I have repeatedly maintained throughout my time writing on the Daily Page that the answer to the problems include improved economic conditions, a vigorous educational system, a more effective judicial system, a strong mental health program, and people caring about each other and not ignoring warning signs in family members and close friends.

In regards to crime, guns are only a possible last-resort solution, regrettably, to the immediate problems faced by individuals in certain unfortunate situations that perhaps would not occur with such frequency if there were improvements in the areas listed above. I repeat, the problems faced by individuals, not society as a whole.

I would appreciate you not continuing to present a distorted caricature of my opinions.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Radical Cheerleader wrote:

Clearly you don't understand white supremacy.

New here, huh?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdincan69 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 pm

What's in the mind of these people nowadays? First the batman incident and then this? How many more will die? Well, these questions will be left unanswered until pretty soon I guess. :|
bdincan69

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Note to Snoqueen. I have never claimed that guns are the answer to society's problems. I have repeatedly maintained throughout my time writing on the Daily Page that the answer to the problems include improved economic conditions, a vigorous educational system, a more effective judicial system, a strong mental health program, and people caring about each other and not ignoring warning signs in family members and close friends.

And more guns.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:34 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Note to Snoqueen. I have never claimed that guns are the answer to society's problems. I have repeatedly maintained throughout my time writing on the Daily Page that the answer to the problems include improved economic conditions, a vigorous educational system, a more effective judicial system, a strong mental health program, and people caring about each other and not ignoring warning signs in family members and close friends.

And more guns.

Not at all. Just protection of the rights of people who choose to have and use them lawfully. It's a freedom of choice issue. People who are pro-choice for abortion don't advocate that there be more abortions, just the right to choose. I take the same stance on guns as I do on abortion. Pro choice. What do you have against choice?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Oh, I don't, Dangerousman. But I've never been injured, nor have I heard of someone being injured by someone else's aborted fetus. To the best of my knowledge no one has ever used an aborted fetus to hold up a bank, accidentally shot themselves with an aborted fetus or stormed a Sikh temple with a backpack full of aborted fetuses. It would seem that aborted fetuses make terrible weapons.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Dangerousman wrote: What do you have against choice?

Says the guy who thinks the choice should include chemical, biological and even nuclear weaponry.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Note to Snoqueen. I have never claimed that guns are the answer to society's problems. I have repeatedly maintained throughout my time writing on the Daily Page that the answer to the problems include improved economic conditions, a vigorous educational system, a more effective judicial system, a strong mental health program, and people caring about each other and not ignoring warning signs in family members and close friends.

In regards to crime, guns are only a possible last-resort solution, regrettably, to the immediate problems faced by individuals in certain unfortunate situations that perhaps would not occur with such frequency if there were improvements in the areas listed above. I repeat, the problems faced by individuals, not society as a whole.

I would appreciate you not continuing to present a distorted caricature of my opinions.

I didn't mean to. Incomplete, maybe, but not distorted. I can agree a whole lot of other social changes are part of the solution, and it's helpful to note individual solutions are not societal solutions until some critical mass is reached, and I don't think it's been reached here. I hope we don't do anything to nudge it closer to the line, any of us.

When I read the bio of the Milwaukee shooter, I saw that he'd had a really sad life with a lot of rejection, family stuff, other grief from start to finish. A lot of people would wind up with mental health problems coming from a background like that. Maybe mental health problems isn't the right term and I should say a lot of anger, sadness, and hate. I have no idea how anyone could help give an individual like that something positive to live for. For some, religion is an answer. It's interesting to note he decided to shoot up the meeting place of a religion that seems to have a lot of internal strength and a strong community: exactly what he himself was missing.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: What do you have against choice?

Says the guy who thinks the choice should include chemical, biological and even nuclear weaponry.

Says the guy who can't find where I ever said that. But I do recall saying it's a moot point since you won't be getting a nuke either way.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines