MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Beef Brisket & Boston Butt

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Beef Brisket & Boston Butt

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:05 am

I bought a new smoker and am looking for a good place in Madison to buy brisket and bone-in pork shoulder. I've never seen these cuts at Woodman's -- East. If they do carry them, it must not be very often.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Re: Beef Brisket & Boston Butt

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:08 am

The first place I'd look for that on the east side would be Ken's on Monona Drive. I have no idea if they'd have it, I just know so many people who love that place that it always comes to mind.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:47 am

You could try Knoche's. I don't know if they have it so I would call, but they are a good butcher shop in town. It can be a bit pricey, but I've always had good meat from there.

http://www.knochesbutchershop.com/
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:18 am

I believe Metcalfe's Sentry will special order whatever you ask for. I know they've been able to get specific kinds of fish in for me and I've seen other people picking up special orders. Also, Jordanal sells their meat at the downtown market and they've got a restaurant in Verona now and I'm sure they could get you whatever cut you want if you call ahead. Both of those are probably more of a drive than you were looking for though.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby rogue » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:24 am

I usually end up getting my Boston Butt or bone-in pork shoulder at Copps. For some reason it's almost always on sale. The brisket at Copps is usually cut into small chunks so I stay away from it there. I don't think Ken's carries any cuts as big as a pork shoulder or brisket. I've found good brisket and beef short ribs at Hy-vee. They're also a good place for any kind of pork.
rogue

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:22 am

rogue wrote:I usually end up getting my Boston Butt or bone-in pork shoulder at Copps. For some reason it's almost always on sale. The brisket at Copps is usually cut into small chunks so I stay away from it there. I don't think Ken's carries any cuts as big as a pork shoulder or brisket. I've found good brisket and beef short ribs at Hy-vee. They're also a good place for any kind of pork.

Thanks! I'll check out Copps for a Boston Butt. That's what I was planning on smoking first, anyway. Sounds like I may have a harder time finding a whole brisket. This isn't BBQ country up here, so I knew that it might be a challenge to find these traditional 'cue cuts.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen briskets at Knoche's. Definitely check them out, they can be a little bit more expensive but the quality is well worth it.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:28 pm

UW Provisions is our two reliable "smoking meat" and "grinding meat" source for good prices on all things beef and pork, including rarer items such as pork bellies. Costco is also a good source if you are into that kind of thing.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:32 pm

You can also call Jacobson's on Sherman Avenue - I have preordered both from there several days ahead of time for special events.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:46 pm

I've had the guy at the counter at Copp's help me out before, but never with a brisket.

And Costco definitely has some HUGE cuts, like roasts twice the size of what you'll see at Copp's.

My fiance is a vegetarian, which means I have to very diplomatic when I want to smoke a pork shoulder, but it is so damn good! I just use my Weber grill and it seems almost impossible to screw it up. Justifying the 4-6 hours of sitting around and drinking beer is what's tough.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:06 pm

I also recommend UW Provision. The bone-in pork shoulders come in packages of two and are of good quality. Last time I bought some they were only $1.69/lb. They have whole beef briskets, too.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Jenny Market always hooks me up.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:31 am

Wino wrote:I also recommend UW Provision. The bone-in pork shoulders come in packages of two and are of good quality. Last time I bought some they were only $1.69/lb. They have whole beef briskets, too.

I've been there a couple of times, but I never thought of UW provisions for some reason, thanks! A $1.69/lb for pork shoulders :shock: That's crazy cheap!! There are two racks on the smoker, so a two-pack should be fine. I've heard a lot of BBQ enthusiasts saying that they're often sold that way. Now I just gotta find a good recipe for coleslaw to go on my pulled pork sandwiches :wink:
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby joey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:33 pm

keep in mind that you read the package! dont use anything with a hormel label. it has a 15% solution of weird chemicals and salt. Hormel pork is all they have at hyvee and copps (at least at the north side one) The packs labeled "chairman bob approved" are hormel.
If you want to spend a few bucks for some amazing heritage pork my favorite pork supplier is fountain prairie farms. John and Dorothy are great people as well. Heres the website:
http://fountain.zanne.com/default.jsp
my second favorite is knoches on the west side. great pork as well. if you call any real butcher--not grocery store, you can get these cuts whatever size you want very readily. just make sure you check to see that they're not pre-marinated or brined or "enhanced".
as for uw provision i've never heard of it and it sounds like i'm missing out!!
p.s. your boston butt is also called pork shoulder or butt roast or a picnic roast depending on how its cut.
and yes i'm obsessed with pork and cook, smoke, and braise all sorts..
joey

Postby Bbqking » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Knoche's always has butts and briskets. The butts are packed 2 in a cryovac. Knoche's will let you buy just one, at UWP you have to buy the whole pack. Knoche's carries Premium Standard Farms pork butt, for my money the best of "industrial farmed pork". Lately UWP has had whole packer briskets and brisket flats. UWP also carries Humphrey lump charcoal and hardwood briquettes.

Enjoy your new smoker. My bbq obsession is going on 10+ years and about 30 extra pounds.

Have fun.

ML
Bbqking

Return to Cooking & Food issues