MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Eye care and veterinarian recs for low-income people

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Eye care and veterinarian recs for low-income people

Postby zeropoint » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Hello!

I live on SSDI and often have trouble finding healthcare providers for me and my cat. (I haven't lived in Madison long enough to know all the ins an outs.)

My insurance situation is complicated--I either have straight state assistance (non HMO Medicaid) or Medicare now; things got complicated recently. I need to get an eye exam and order new contacts. Can someone recommend a good place to go, preferably on the east side or downtown, that is affordable and quality?

Second, my cat is overdue for his annual because I haven't been able to afford it, but I'm thinking there must be some way of getting low-cost veterinary care. He is a strictly indoor cat in good health who just needs a checkup and routine vaccinations.

Any recommendations for either would be appreciated. Thanks!
zeropoint

Re: Eye care and veterinarian recs for low-income people

Postby seemunkyz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:30 pm

zeropoint wrote:Hello!

I live on SSDI and often have trouble finding healthcare providers for me and my cat. (I haven't lived in Madison long enough to know all the ins an outs.)

My insurance situation is complicated--I either have straight state assistance (non HMO Medicaid) or Medicare now; things got complicated recently. I need to get an eye exam and order new contacts. Can someone recommend a good place to go, preferably on the east side or downtown, that is affordable and quality?

Second, my cat is overdue for his annual because I haven't been able to afford it, but I'm thinking there must be some way of getting low-cost veterinary care. He is a strictly indoor cat in good health who just needs a checkup and routine vaccinations.

Any recommendations for either would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know about specific locations in Madison, but here is a website that has a list of groups that help pay for eye-care.

http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/financialaid.asp

I couldn't find much for the Cat, but I assume you should call up the Dane Co. Humane Society. If they can't provide direct care for the Cat, they might know who can.
seemunkyz

Postby sadiekat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:03 pm

One thought for eye care would be to check Shopko and/or Walmart, assuming that your needs are pretty routine. Both of these stores offer decent pricing on hardware (glasses/contacts), etc., and are priced for mass-market, not boutique services.

I'd second the Humane Society as a resource for vet care- another potential resource is the WI Humane Society- they have a low-income program that might help: http://www.wihumane.org/services/vap.aspx
sadiekat

Postby skrattypants » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:35 pm

The best low-income vet in town is Kim Berglund at Candlin Pet Hospital, easily accessible by bus at 1244 S Park St. Beyond the fact that their rates are great, Petrus loves going to see Dr Kim. She just has a bond with animals and will work something out with you, I'm sure. Just be straight-up and tell her that your income is limited, but Mr Cat needs some overdue attention.

I'm not all that DCHS.
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:56 pm

As to eye care, is the Lion's Club still around? They helped me get eye surgery for my daughter when I couldn't afford it and didn't have adequate health insurance.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zeropoint » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks, all!
zeropoint

Return to Town Vibe