MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Wolf Hunt

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

The Wolf Hunt

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Wolf hunting permit applications top 3,000 in 2 days

Could someone please explain the attraction to killing a wolf? These 3,000 applicants can't all be farmers with livestock at risk, can they? Are the pelts still worth something?

The law setting up the hunt allows hunters to both trap and shoot wolves, attract wolves with bait and hunt at night. Most controversial was a requirement that hunters be allowed to use dogs, making Wisconsin the only state where dogs can be used to hunt wolves.

Oh yeah, this is sporting.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Wolf Hunt

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Some of them are probably bear hunters who sent their dogs out to tree a bear one night and they ran into a wolf pack instead.

From what I understand, wolves don't care how many thousands of dollars a good bear hunting dog cost.

I saw one guy talk about how he lost his gazillion dollar bear dog one night and how them damn wolves was really fucking him up and it just warnt right. I forget what the show was about but damn, he was a funny guy.

Send your dog off to fuck with a fucking bear and get all worked up because some wolves killed it instead of a bear. Life is hard.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:42 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Are the pelts still worth something?

They're worth this photo:

pssst, notice the wolf shirt
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:08 pm

Are there enough wolves in the State of Wisconsin to support hunting by over 3K hunters? Seems to me that more hunters will be injured in this hunt than wolves.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:37 am

Lily wrote:Are there enough wolves in the State of Wisconsin to support hunting by over 3K hunters? Seems to me that more hunters will be injured in this hunt than wolves.
According to the article they've set a statewide quota of 201 wolves out of a population of about 800 and the Chippewas get half of that if they want it.

And they expect somewhere around ten percent of the permits to be filled. So after the Chippewa announce how many wolves they'll take, they'll decide how many permits to issue and hold a drawing in September. Everyone who applies before the end of August is in the raffle.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:08 am

Lily wrote:Are there enough wolves in the State of Wisconsin to support hunting by over 3K hunters?

Yes.

Seems to me that more hunters will be injured in this hunt than wolves.

What are you talking about? Really, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

quick search: 650,000 people deer hunt in WI. (with guns! eek!)

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/cs/reports/2 ... rt2004.htm

The biggest danger to WI deer hunters seems to be an armed hmong from minn using a 'wisconsin' dl to get a hunting license...which he was prohibited from doing, mind you.
Guess he didn't care about the laws. :idea:
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:06 pm

I find it kinda quaint that they're bothering to have a wolf hunt and issue permits when probably a quarter of those 3000 people will just shoot one anyway.

And yeah, those dog assisted bear hunts are just the ultimate example of primal hunter/gatherer acumen. Shooting a bear in a tree from the seat of your ATV. It helps to rest your elbow in your beer can holder, if it's empty, and squeeze off the round between burps.

I have all the respect in the world for Wisconsin's hunting tradition and the camaraderie and kinship of the fall deer hunt looks like something I would thoroughly enjoy if I was a hunter. But treeing bears is a bunch of shit and this wolf hunt thing looks to be just as ugly.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GordonFreeman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:14 am

Heck, Ah 'aints never kilt me a wolf b4, shoulda be a good time! Yee Haw!
GordonFreeman

Postby sylvie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:12 am

Bear hunters, as well as livestock owners, get reimbursed by the DNR for dogs or sheep, cattle, etc. lost to wolves. The funds come from the the sale of the endangered species license plates - the ones with the wolf on it.

I have been told that bear hunters do not avoid wolf habitat but often run their dogs directly through it.
sylvie
Forum Addict

Postby Gibe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:04 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I find it kinda quaint that they're bothering to have a wolf hunt and issue permits when probably a quarter of those 3000 people will just shoot one anyway.

I was just up in the Cable/Drummond area this past weekend and the Wolf hunt is a hot topic with the locals.

Wolves are seen as a nuisance to more than just the bear hunting dog owners. The common saying was "Shoot, shovel and shut up".

I don't think the locals will bother with a permit...
Gibe

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:19 pm

Law suits a-comin'.

Various plaintiffs, including humane societies and organizations, filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and the Natural Resources Board, asking the court to stop the DNR from authorizing the use of dogs for wolf hunting.

The Dane County Humane Society, one of the plaintiffs in the case, said the plaintiffs are seeking reasonable rules to protect dogs from injury or death.
Nationally acclaimed expert in canine training and behavior, Patricia McConnell, Ph.D., also filed an affidavit in support of the plaintiffs' claim to enjoin the use of dogs to hunt wolves in the absence of reasonable restrictions imposed by DNR.

According to McConnell, on-leash requirements for dogs training and hunting wolves, certified training and breed restrictions are all necessary to prevent dogs from confronting wolves and, in turn, from suffering severe injuries and death in the ensuing fight.

McConnell said that, in her professional opinion, without thoughtful and clear regulations, "Wisconsin's wolf hunt will be little more than state-sponsored dog fighting."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sylvie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:10 pm

While I don't want any of these dogs to get hurt going after wolves - something they would probably never do on their own as most animals instinctively avoid those confrontations that could impair their own ability to survive - here is what one poster on the madison.com forum had to say about allegedly valued "gazillion-dollar" hunting dogs.

"Nice try. Maybe bird hunters value their dogs, but some of the dirt bags that live in my county are in a class all by themselves. These guys breed their dogs constantly looking for the best pups. Want to take a guess at what happens to the ones that don't make the cut? Waterboarding. Another one takes the "losers" out for one last ride in the pickup in late fall because he doesn't want to feed them through the winter. Get real, the only thing most hunters care about is their weak little egos."
sylvie
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:37 am

sylvie wrote:here is what one poster on the madison.com forum had to say about allegedly valued "gazillion-dollar" hunting dogs.

"Nice try. Maybe bird hunters value their dogs, but some of the dirt bags that live in my county are in a class all by themselves. These guys breed their dogs constantly looking for the best pups. Want to take a guess at what happens to the ones that don't make the cut? Waterboarding. Another one takes the "losers" out for one last ride in the pickup in late fall because he doesn't want to feed them through the winter. Get real, the only thing most hunters care about is their weak little egos."

The only source I have is one public television show I saw a few years ago when they interviewed bear hunters who had lost dogs. Every one of them said the dogs were purchased from a breeder for X thousand dollars. Can't remember the number. I know I heard thousand, not hundred.

I wouldn't be too awful surprised to hear they were all lying or that most of the dogs lost were the expendable kind he's talking about.

killing the ones that don't measure up is not something that happens only with bear dog breeders, though. That's a fairly common thing even in puppy mills for non-hunting dogs.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:28 pm

The disrespect for wildlife is common everywhere. We don't have wolves (yet) but coyotes are common. The locals don't understand why I don't have a gun to shoot them. I prefer to deter predation by having a couple of big dogs around the farm and keeping my livestock in the barn at night. I also keep some of my farm "wild" so the native animals have a place to survive.

I let certain neighbors deer hunt on our land and will eat the venison they give me in return. I just don't understand not eating what you kill. What a waste! Talk about bad Karma.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:07 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government