MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

which party primary to vote in Tues 8/14?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

which party primary to vote in Tues 8/14?

Postby Big_Sister » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:45 pm

OK....I will admit to being a fairly stereotypical Madison voter.

I need to decide whether to vote in the Democratic or Republican primary on August 14.

It happens I do not have an Assembly option on August 14, so if I spent my vote with the Dems, I would (only) be choosing sides in the Pocan v. Kelda (maddening, embarassing...) mudfight, and splitting hairs in the only contested contests, the (Dane) county clerk and treasuer.

OR, I could vote in the fascinating Republican US Senate primary.

At this time, I am leaning this way. Frankly, I don't think Tammy can win in November, so I am thinking I should vote now for the Repub who would be the least bad, and I honestly think that would be Tommy....if ONLY because at his age, it would be the final act of his career, and he doesn't owe or need to prove anything, and he just might do something interesting, unlike those 3 mean little boys running against him.

What say you?
:?:
Big_Sister

Re: which party primary to vote in Tues 8/14?

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm definitely voting for Tommy next Tuesday as an act of damage control. I want Baldwin in the end, but there's nothing wrong with being strategic and voting for the lessor of the evils in the Repub race.

Does anyone else think that Hovde looks like a zombie?
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:10 am

I'm a Dem who voted for Tommy to stop Hovde. Tommy is the lesser of two evils. Kelda and Pocan are both good so i don't care which of them wins.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Big_Sister wrote:I need to decide whether to vote in the Democratic or Republican primary on August 14.

Can someone explain why it has to be one or the other?
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Top ten things to know for primary day

Number two on the list is that voters may only vote for candidates of one party in the primary.

Elections Division Administrator Nat Robinson said electronic voting equipment is programmed to reject a ballot with crossover votes. “If you make a mistake when voting, you may ask for a new paper ballot, up to a total of three, Robinson said. “In the case of touch-screen voting equipment, the voter will be able to review ballot choices before affirming the final vote.”

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:48 pm

In many states, one can only vote in partisan primaries if they are registered party members (closed primaries). Wisconsin has an open primary system, where one does have have to declare a party affiliation. No state allows voting for candidates from different political parties in the same election.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:21 pm

I think the question is, "why are there party based primaries?"

It isn't in the constitutional mandate that we have primaries. Can we just dump this silly institution?

I will likely be voting for Senate for the same reasons listed above. I don't see how voting for one Democrat over the other will affect our nation or community as much as voting for Tommy over his rivals could affect us.

Neither candidate for Clerk supports my idea of having voters throw darts at baloons as the way of casting votes. Each candidate has his own color of baloon. There is no way to question whether a baloon carcass is either blue or red. You just count up the popped baloons at the end of the election and you have your answer. Also, baloon carcasses last for ever and are easy to store so recounts and data preservation is pretty ease.

(For summer elections you could actually have water baloon fights.)
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:28 pm

Candidates can run as independents with no party affiliation.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government