MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Prosser is charged

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Prosser is charged

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:47 am

found the article in JSOnline that explains Prosser's reasoning.

Prosser said in a motion that Justice N. Patrick Crooks had to recuse himself from the case because he was present in February 2010 when Prosser called Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson a "bitch." Prosser said the state Judicial Commission, which has filed the ethics allegations against Prosser, is likely to call Crooks as a witness.

"As a material witness and, in effect, an accuser of Justice Prosser, Justice Crooks cannot sit in judgment of Justice Prosser and thereby serve to judge the accuracy of his own accusations and testimony," said the motion filed by Prosser's attorney, Kevin Reak.

The allegations against Prosser mention the dispute with Abrahamson but centers on a different incident, in June 2011, when Prosser put his hands on the neck of Justice Ann Walsh Bradley as they argued over a case. Prosser has said he put his hands up in a reflexive gesture when Bradley quickly confronted him face-to-face.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:41 am

"I've lost confidence in your ability to lead this court," Justice Prosser told the chief justice, just before Justice Bradley rushed toward him to get him to leave, according to a report from the Dane County Sheriff. Justice Bradley admitted getting into Justice Prosser's face, but said she was merely pointing at the door. Other justices said she shook a fist in his face, the report said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 16036.html
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:50 am

Looks like the fix was on:
Former Prosser aide made recommendations for judicial panel

Gov. Scott Walker relied on recommendations from a former Assembly speaker who once worked for state Supreme Court Justice David Prosser in appointing members of a commission investigating Prosser, newly released records show.

Three of the five people Walker appointed to the state Judicial Commission earlier this year were presented to the governor by former Assembly Speaker John Gard, the president of Wisconsin Businesses Inc. and a former lobbyist for school voucher proponents School Choice Wisconsin.

Gard told an aide to Walker that he had found people for the commission who were "fiercely conservative" and "will never wimp out," according to an email recently released along with other documents under the state's open records law. Gard also wrote that he'd told one of the appointees "what we were looking for and (he) said he would do it if needed," but Gard's email didn't provide more specifics than that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:33 pm

I love it! If 2 or more citizens get together and conspire to break the law, they get charged with conspiracy (in addition to what ever laws they supposedly broke). However, when a former politician and a sitting Governor get together and conspire to influence a judicial commission in favor of a colleague, no one worries about it very much. Has anyone seen former Louisiana Gov. Edwin Edwards lately?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Prosser gets defensive.

State Supreme Court Justice David Prosser has re-christened his campaign finance account as a defense fund, which he said he is considering using to fight allegations that he violated judicial ethics rules by putting his hands on the neck of a fellow justice last year.

The Government Accountability Board, which oversees the state's ethics and elections law, approved Prosser's plans earlier this year, the agency confirmed Monday. But others - including the former top lawyer for the accountability board - questioned its views on how the fund could be used.

The defense fund could give Prosser a way to pay his legal bills without having to bear them personally. But his campaign account has just $1,145 in it and is already laden with a debt of about $229,000 from a recount last year.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:59 pm

How many of us voted for him last year? 752,694?
If each contributes just one dollar, we can retire his debt and build up a decent defense fund for him.
Come on forons, let's do our part to put the divisiveness of 2011 behind us and bring Wisconsin back together!
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:27 pm

The saga continues...
Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Annette Ziegler has stepped down from considering a disciplinary case against fellow Justice David Prosser.

Ziegler on Friday filed paperwork with the court announcing her recusal. She joins Justice Pat Roggensack in stepping down from the case. Prosser has also asked the four other justices not to hear it.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Off the record, Henry, what do you really think - did Prosser get Walsh Bradley in a chokehold like she claimed he did? Did he get his hands around her neck and squeeze until she couldn't breath? Was he trying to murder her? You've been following the saga pretty closely, right? What do think really happened?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:14 pm

I don't know as I wasn't there. But does Prosser's argument mean that any justice can assault any other justice as long as she/he has a quorum who witnessed the attack (and no outside witnesses)?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I don't know as I wasn't there. But does Prosser's argument mean that any justice can assault any other justice as long as she/he has a quorum who witnessed the attack (and no outside witnesses)?

No, if there was credible evidence of a crime being committed the justice could be charged with a crime. I suppose if Prosser had been charged, and then found guilty, he could have attempted to appeal it up to the SC, which would then have recused itself, leaving in place the findings of the lower court (which since he would have been appealing, would not have been in his favor).

The recommendation of the Judicial Panel has always struck me as cynical at best. They had to know that there was a legitimate argument for a majority of the justices to recuse themselves, rendering the court unable to proceed. Maybe they felt they had to do something regardless of the SC's ability to act on it.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:They had to know that there was a legitimate argument for a majority of the justices to recuse themselves,

Which is what again?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I don't know as I wasn't there. But does Prosser's argument mean that any justice can assault any other justice as long as she/he has a quorum who witnessed the attack (and no outside witnesses)?

I'll go a step further and get past Meade's deflection.

You can do something that doesn't rise to the level of a punishable event by the law and still violate the ethical responsibility of your job.

Judges and lawyers have an ethical responsibility to protect the legal system. Putting your hands around someone's neck doesn't advance the best interest of the courts. I am not saying that the other Justice did or didn't meet that level with her actions.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:42 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:50 am

Now that Gablemann has reclused himself, there is no quorum to hear the discipline case.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:40 pm

Anyone have an update on this fiasco? I haven't seen anything.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government