MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Meet Paul Ryan

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Meet Paul Ryan

Postby wack wack » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:27 am

Huckleby wrote:The Ryan Budget is the motherlode of golden opportunities. Everybody knows that the Democrats will run half-true, exaggerated attacks to persuade stupid voters. This election is all about attracting the thin slice of mostly ignorant people who are still undecided.

Why do you believe the undecideds are made of mostly ignorant people? In my experience, the most ignorant voters made their choices based on social issues long ago.

I think this pick signals that Romney isn't serious about wanting to be President. That, or he is delusional in believing his base is big enough to win an election.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:34 am

I think this pick signals that Romney isn't serious about wanting to be President. That, or he is delusional in believing his base is big enough to win an election.

I think it signals that they are pretty sure they can just buy the office and riling up the base is a great way to raise more funds.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:04 am

It isn't just forons who thinks Ryan will hurt Romney's campaign.

USAT/Gallup Poll: Paul Ryan gets low marks for VP

Americans don't believe GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney hit a home run with his choice of Paul Ryan as a running mate, a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, with more of the public giving him lower marks than high ones.

Ryan, a Wisconsin congressman, is seen as only a "fair" or "poor" choice by 42% of Americans vs. 39% who think he is an "excellent" or "pretty good" vice presidential choice.
The USA TODAY/Gallup survey also finds 48% of Americans view Ryan as qualified to be president if something should happen to Romney, while 29% do not and 23% were undecided. Only Palin, then the governor of Alaska, and Quayle, a two-term senator from Indiana, were rated lower than Ryan.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 am

I fully expected to come in here today to a whole bunch of "oh, Dems are shaking in their boots now!" posts. Good to see that even most conservatives know that would be ridiculous.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:34 am

wack wack wrote:Why do you believe the undecideds are made of mostly ignorant people? In my experience, the most ignorant voters made their choices based on social issues long ago.

Are you suggesting that pro-choice, pro gay marriage advocates who would never vote Republican because of these views are ignorant? I'm guessing not, more likely you define those who thinks differently from yourself as ignorant.

My view that most independents are ignorant comes from the deep polarization of the Democratic and Republican parties on issues. Related to that, anybody who pays attention knows that the Republicans in particular are voting as a bloc in both state and national legislatures. So voters are not choosing a person, they are choosing a party.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:36 am

ArturoBandini wrote:I'm wondering if there is any chance that Romney strategically releases his tax returns at a key point in the election season, and they aren't that bad, making him look good and the Returners like idiots. I would find that entertaining to observe.

That has been my thesis all along and I even have a $5 bet going on about it.

Perhaps he will release his college transcripts and medical records as well.

Would that put Obama on the defensive about releasing his? I've never understood what he is hiding there.

Lots of speculation but I've seen nothing concrete. Perhaps, like Romney's tax returns (I suspect) there is a whole lot of nothing there.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 am

fennel wrote:Romney and Ryan is an anagram for Romney Ayn Rand. That can't be an accident.

Sounds good to me. Not good enough to pry me from Obama but good. I just don't think it is true about Ryan. Certainly not true about Romney.

Not that I am an Ayn Rand fan. Much, perhaps most of what she wrote, is crap. Three of her books, Anthem, We the Living and particularly Atlas Shrugged, are near perfect gems.

I used to use Atlas as the text in a capstone course I taught "Business Government and the Environment" (Environment in this case being society)

It is a wonderful road map.

In all the times I've read the book over the past 40 years, I think I've managed to get through "The Speech" once, though.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 am

Huckleby wrote:
wack wack wrote:Why do you believe the undecideds are made of mostly ignorant people? In my experience, the most ignorant voters made their choices based on social issues long ago.

Are you suggesting that pro-choice, pro gay marriage advocates who would never vote Republican because of these views are ignorant? I'm guessing not, more likely you define those who thinks differently from yourself as ignorant.

My view that most independents are ignorant comes from the deep polarization of the Democratic and Republican parties on issues. Related to that, anybody who pays attention knows that the Republicans in particular are voting as a bloc in both state and national legislatures. So voters are not choosing a person, they are choosing a party.

Are you suggesting there's a large block of pro-choice, pro gay marriage advocates waiting to vote Republican?

I am basing my view on my personal experience, people I know: the people who say "I'm not sure yet" are generally aware of what they're not sure about. Which is why I said, "in my experience," rather than, "my opinion, based on what I read regarding politics..."

There are plenty of people I disagree with who are intelligent, far more intelligent than I'll ever be. Paul Ryan is one of them. Philosophically abhorrent, completely lacking when it comes to understanding (or caring about) the America that a majority of us have to live in, but intelligent? No doubt.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:52 am

wack wack wrote:I think this pick signals that Romney isn't serious about wanting to be President. That, or he is delusional in believing his base is big enough to win an election.

I've been hearing this for months about both Obama and Romney. I've seen them compared to the Olympic badminton teams, both of whom were trying to throw the match. John C Dvorak and Adam Curry were just discussing this on yesterday's No Agenda Podcast ( http://www.seanhannity.com )

The reasoning is that as far as the faltering economy goes, you ain't seen nothing yet. Both sides know that they can't fix it and want the other side in office to take the blame.

I think Ryan is probably the best we could expect from Romney. Nowhere near good enough but the best we could expect.

The only bright spot is that he will likely get the Tea Partiers fired up and out voting in TP sympathizers in House, Senate and state races. If we have any hope at all, it will be there.

Under Rombama we are so screwed.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 am

I think this is what really impressed Romney:
Under Paul Ryan's plan, Mitt Romney wouldn't pay any taxes for the next ten years -- or any of the years after that.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... n/261027/#

Because 14% is waaay too onerous.
Last edited by DCB on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 am

wack wack wrote: Are you suggesting there's a large block of pro-choice, pro gay marriage advocates waiting to vote Republican?

a quick google:
22% of registered Republicans are pro-choice
30% of registered Republicans support gay marriage

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... oll-finds/
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79389.html
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:06 am

Ryan vs. Slo Joe in a debate....that should be interesting.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:34 am

wack wack wrote:I fully expected to come in here today to a whole bunch of "oh, Dems are shaking in their boots now!" posts.

Democrats are shaking in their boots! Ryan will definitely bring over the moderates, especially in swing states like Florida.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:35 am

What a class act:

Video from 2011 has surfaced of several of his constituents being arrested for speaking out of turn at a public luncheon. In one instance, with video provided on the left side of this article, a 71-year-old man was thrown to the ground by police and placed in handcuffs. Moments after the incident Paul Ryan joked, "I hope he has taken his blood pressure medication."

http://www.examiner.com/article/video-p ... -questions
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:51 am

Stebben84 wrote:What a class act
Did you watch the video? This video/incident would have been more effective at discrediting Ryan had the guy asked an incisive question in a civil manner, instead of loudly interrupting like an idiot. It does seem skeevy that Ryan had preemptively ruled out questions from the public. I don't attend high-profile political events, but I would think that this is standard operating procedure - no unsolicited questions or statements.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government