MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Mitt Romney 2012

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Mitt Romney 2012

Postby pjbogart » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:07 am

I understand that Romney really needed to shore up his conservative credentials and I think Paul Ryan will give some energy and enthusiasm to the Republican base, but will he garner any new voters? In Presidential elections, candidates typically woo the base to win the primary, then woo the moderates to win the general. Paul Ryan, like Sarah Palin before him, seems like a primary move after the primary is done.

Mittens should have made his announcement from Waterloo.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:28 am

Two guys with budget plans that coddle the rich, gut the safety net, who won't tell us what tax loopholes they intend to close and who can't find one nickel of waste in the Defense budget. Hope our lazy media wakes up and asks these guys some questions.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:42 am

The "Dyin' With Ryan Plan" now applies to not only to the Republican's Medicare and health care ideas, but to Mitt's hopes to win. It's over. Obama wins.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:13 am

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:28 am

Donald wrote:The "Dyin' With Ryan Plan" now applies to not only to the Republican's Medicare and health care ideas, but to Mitt's hopes to win. It's over. Obama wins.

Yep, it was a complete relief when I heard that he was going to pick Ryan, because it meant that Romney really has no chance at all of winning now.

My worry is what the nutcase rightwingers will do when Obama wins again. Ted Nugent is not the only wingnut who has explicitly said that he will do something violent if Obama wins. You don't even have to go to rightwing websites to see such comments--Yahoo news article comments have plenty of examples of people advocating armed revolution if Obama wins again.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Galoot wrote:You don't even have to go to rightwing websites to see such comments--Yahoo news article comments have plenty of examples of people advocating armed revolution if Obama wins again.

I quit using Yahoo as a source of news articles a few months ago and I'm pretty happy with the results. While they do a reasonable job of collecting various viewpoints, they do a horrible job of filtering those viewpoints and taking out the propaganda. I'm sorry but the Daily Caller is not news, nor are links to Newsmax or Powerline. Furthermore, the commentary setup has attracted oodles of doltish right-wingers, or perhaps professional spammers who make it seem as though the nation has been taken over by conservatives.

I use Google now for my news clearinghouse and with the exception of their anemic sports reporting, they perform pretty admirably. You can still find your Daily Caller propaganda, but it's never promoted as front page news.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks, Peej! I don't follow sports at all, so the lack of sports coverage doesn't bother me much. I hadn't used Google News before, but I checked it out and immediately customized it for my preferences, including some Brazil news. Did you know that the International Poultry Conference is here in Salvador this week?

I put it on my Chrome bookmarks bar, and I'm going to try staying away from the cesspool that is Yahoo News.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Galoot, Google will know when your heart skips a beat, then cross-reference that with your current news intake and send an automated notice to your health insurance company. And that modern model of free-market efficiency will then encourage you to read only approved news sources as a way of avoiding increases in your health premiums.

"We're here to help."

[appropriate emoticon]
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:12 pm

The chatter now is that Paul Ryan was a good pick to energize the base but will cost Mitt Romney the State of Florida and without Florida Romney can't win. While his campaign stumbles have cost him a few percentage points in the popular vote, particularly his debacle in Europe and his continued refusal to release his tax returns, his electoral college map is looking more and more dismal. Even if you swing Wisconsin onto his map with the Ryan choice, Romney is still struggling in key States, namely Florida, Ohio and Virginia. Obama has the luxury of sapping Romney's considerable campaign war chest by challenging him in traditionally Republican States, a point that is beginning to sound like 2008 all over again.

I would anticipate that the grumbling over the Paul Ryan choice will commence shortly. Have we ever seen a Presidential candidate yank his Veep? Romney needs a Southerner who not only talks about smaller government but votes for it as well. Ryan's about as fiscally conservative as The Shrub, despite all his rhetoric.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:40 am

pjbogart wrote:Have we ever seen a Presidential candidate yank his Veep?

Thomas Eagleton.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:16 am

As an aside, Friends don't let friends use Google.

I use Privatlee ( www.privatlee.com ) which searches both google and Bing but does it via proxy. I've not found any difference in speed or results. The only difference is that since Privatlee thinks I am in Dubuque IA, I tend to get ads and some local results for Dubuque.

But what I really wanted to ask about is Romney's income taxes.

In all the foofaraw about Romney's tax returns I don't think anyone has said that he did anything illegal with his taxes. I don't think anyone has claimed that he owes taxes.

I think the complaint has been mainly that he has paid what he owed but some think he should have paid more.

So a question for all here: Do any of you knowingly pay more taxes than you owe?

Why not?

And if that policy is good enough for forum members, why should anyone expect Romney to pay more taxes than he owes?

At the extreme, if he has arranged his life so as to owe no taxes at all, why should anyone see that as a problem?

I am assuming legality, of course. If he did anything illegal I will be the first to cry for his head on a pike. (Figuratively speaking, of course)

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:25 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:I am assuming legality, of course. If he did anything illegal I will be the first to cry for his head on a pike. (Figuratively speaking, of course)

John Henry

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if he was within the letter of the law. I'd just like to know what percentage of his real income he paid in taxes compared to my 20 or 25 percent.

And I'd like to know why the more money you have, the less taxes you pay, and why, if they need that money to create jobs, they haven't been creating any jobs.

"Well, it's because we still pay too much taxes. Just cut our taxes and we'll create some jobs."

"Okay, there you go. Got any jobs?"

"Nope. Too much corporate tax. Need to cut that."

"There. Better?"

"Damn, that inheritance tax is just killing us. Can't create any jobs till we deal with that."

Rinse, repeat.

So, John Henry is asking us, "well, if you had a license to steal, wouldn't YOU use it? You silly kids."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:26 am

When your entire platform is tax cuts for the rich it is helpful to get an accurate picture of what the rich actually pay in taxes. There's also the question of when he left Bane, and what charitable contributions might have been given. Aside from giving boatloads to the Mormon Church (something I don't consider a charity at all) word is Mittens has given to some very liberal causes that don't mesh with his new found Teabagginess. Aside from that we've had 4 years of right wing outrage over the supposed non-vetting of Barack Obama the least Mittens could do is provide the American people what he provided John McCain in 2008.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:46 am

rabble wrote:
And I'd like to know why the more money you have, the less taxes you pay, and why, if they need that money to create jobs, they haven't been creating any jobs.

Generally speaking nobody pays federal taxes on the "money they have". You sound confused here.

Perhaps you mean "the more money they earn?"

So assuming that is what you mean, let's talk about that.

I agree with you. But we probably disagree on the other side. Do you think that the more money someone earns the more taxes they should pay?

Even under a flat tax they would do that.

Or do you think that the more someone earns the greater percentage of their earnings they should pay?

If so, why?

Suppose Romney has no income. He made a pile of money, suppose he has it in gold in a vault and is simply drawing down his capital. (Or cash in a non-interest account)

Do you think he should be paying income tax?

Or suppose he it taking a risks and helping cities out by having his money in municipal bonds. The interest paid on these is non-taxable (federally) are you saying he should pay tax on it anyway?

Or perhaps he is lending it to the govt in the form of treasury notes and bills. Presently, these are paying a negative interest rate. Should be pay income taxes on the money he is losing here?

I am not clear on what you are asking of him.

Please elucidate.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:56 am

fisticuffs wrote:There's also the question of when he left Bane...

Ha! Excellent!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government