MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Meet Paul Ryan

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Meet Paul Ryan

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:02 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:This video/incident would have been more effective at discrediting Ryan had the guy asked an incisive question in a civil manner, instead of loudly interrupting like an idiot.

True, but Ryan could have refrained from his "blood pressure" comment.

Also, did these people NEED to be arrested.

ArturoBandini wrote:I don't attend high-profile political events, but I would think that this is standard operating procedure - no unsolicited questions or statements.

It seems like many politicians are opting for these paid lunch events vs. town hall meeting because then people don't get to ask questions.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:05 pm

Stebben84 wrote:It seems like many politicians are opting for these paid lunch events vs. town hall meeting because then people don't get to ask questions.
Which isn't a bad strategy because "people" often include a lot of people who are even bigger idiots than the politicians onstage.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Also, did these people NEED to be arrested.
Probably not, but it depends on the context of the event, and we only got to see a few seconds. If it was made clear at the start of the event that any outbursts or interruptions will be dealt with by removing the person from the premises under threat of arrest for trespassing (or something similar), then this guy got what he deserved (and probably what he wanted).
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:25 am

I know that some people are looking forward to a great philosophical debate between big ideas. That sounds great. But we don't have enough hours in the day to waste on this. There is no 'there' there. And we have real issues to worry about.

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/ ... ld-be.html
In short, Ryan's incoherent Randian notions - they're not even ideas - can and should be dismissed. Instead of having a debate, which merely elevates the status of his nonsense, we should mock him, jeer him, laugh at him, and react with disgust that our discourse has sunk to such a level that such garbage has been adopted as sober policy by a once-great political party.

But don't dismiss the impact of the marketing and packaging that enabled Ryan's stupidities to gain such traction.

Ryan wants to cut the safety net for the poor and the elderly so he can transfer more wealth to the rich. There is not much more to it than that. Its a morally and economically bankrupt notion.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 am

We have now seen the Ryan-Romney Budget released in versions 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Path_to_Prosperity

Version 1.0 of the RR Budget came in 2011, the Republican party got cocky after the 2010 congressional election sweep and committed a gaffe. A political gaffe is when politicians accidently tell the truth. The Republicans revealed their long term intention to convert Medicare to a voucher system.

After the blowback, they realized they had to scramble for cover. In 2012, they re-released the budget proposal making the voucher program optional.

After Romney chose Ryan, he announced that Republicans would be running on yet a third budget proposal. That proposal is so vague as to be immune from criticism.

These budget proposals, even when introduced in the form of a congressional bill, have zero chance of becoming law, and should be read as the policy of the party. The party showed their true colors in 2011, and will not be able to run away from the truth with sanitized re-releases.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:26 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:I used to use Atlas as the text in a capstone course I taught "Business Government and the Environment" (Environment in this case being society)

It is a wonderful road map.

In all the times I've read the book over the past 40 years, I think I've managed to get through "The Speech" once, though.

John Henry

You could have handed out the Cliff's Notes version:

1. Heroine lives in dystopia

2. Heroine wakes up in utopia

3. Heroine discovers that the great men have given up on their nation, and are stashing their wealth in a secret overseas location

4. Leader of utopia gives a long boring speech

The one thing I admire Rand for is her smackdown of William F. Buckley.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:53 am

"PAUL RYAN TO DEMOCRATS: Admit It, I Scare The Ever-Loving Shit Out Of You, Don’t I? “I’m young, I’m handsome, I’m smart, and I’m articulate. And that scares the ever-loving shit out of you. You can pretend like you have this thing in the bag, but you know good goddamn well that this race just got real interesting, real fast.”

Sometimes, The Onion is way ahead of Politico. This is one of those times."
Instapundit
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:03 am

Ryan's qualities as a politiican have been widely acknowledged by Democratic partisians.

The opportunity to remind voters that Romney is a Republican, and Republicans have embraced Paul Ryan's extreme class warfare, that's what makes our nipples hard.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:47 am

Filibustering your own "town hall" meeting is as articulate as all get out. The great news is that now we don't have to worry about if Romney can carry Janesville.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:28 am

If Ryan had any integrity this piece wouldn't be in the Onion.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/ryan-b ... use,29179/
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Bill Lueders: Ryan’s actions help his investments

Ryan’s support for subsidies that arguably abound to his own benefit draws a pointed response from Craig Holman, government affairs lobbyist for Public Citizen, a nonpartisan advocacy group based in Washington, D.C.

“Without a doubt this is a very serious conflict of interest,” Holman tells the Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism. “He’s making himself rich off his own budget proposals.”
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:28 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:You could have handed out the Cliff's Notes version:

1. Heroine lives in dystopia

2. Heroine wakes up in utopia

3. Heroine discovers that the great men have given up on their nation, and are stashing their wealth in a secret overseas location

4. Leader of utopia gives a long boring speech

Sounds like you have not even read the Cliff Notes. Either that or the Cliff Notes are wildly wrong. (I've not read them myself so don't know).

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:02 pm

It's bad enough that he wants to essentially gut Medicare by turning it into a block grant. His intentions for Medicaid and Social Security appear to be even worse. Now Paul Ryan has informed us, the American Public, that he will only release two years of his tax returns, same as job-killer supreme Mitt Romney. Reminds me of something Repubs and other "national security" aficionados said in 2001, after the vast majority of Congress-critters voted to pass the PATRIOT Act, most of them not having read the entire bill. They told people (like myself) who are concerned about the fate of the Bill of Rights that "if we weren't doing anything wrong, we have nothing to worry about." They steadfastly maintained that the intelligence community had a desperate need to "sneak and peek" search our houses, without a warrant and while we were away from home. They told us that the FBI must be able to tap your phone and read your email, also without a warrant demonstrating probable cause. They said it was alright for the spooks to acess your library records -surely you have nothing to hide, eh? According to the Modern McCarthyites, Repub AND Democrat, "Sunlight is the best disinfectant." OK, I admit that's all water under the bridge. Nonetheless, now is the time those two Republican candidates for high office to shed some badly-needed light on their own activities! Come clean Paul Ryan! Disclose your tax records for the last twelve years, Mitt Romney!
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:42 am

Huckleby wrote:My view that most independents are ignorant comes from the deep polarization of the Democratic and Republican parties on issues. Related to that, anybody who pays attention knows that the Republicans in particular are voting as a bloc in both state and national legislatures. So voters are not choosing a person, they are choosing a party.

Unless you believe the slogans on their posters, none of these campaigns from either political party are movements but, instead are marketing efforts masquerading as movements. They are brands deliberately manufactured to which folks can attach imaginary and desirable qualities like compassion, opposition to war, less gov interference in your life etc.. The goal is to deliver their voting constituencies to their campaign contributors, the corp Wall St. banker elites and military industrial surveilance security complex, which seems to always win no matter what. This is why the run-n-fetchits for the plutocratic plantation sound different when campaigning, but govern in substantially the same way.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 am

Wonderful how Ryan's big rally was in Waukesha instead of his poor beat-up hometown:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... f887a.html
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government