MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Dead Garbage Disposal

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Dead Garbage Disposal

Postby iwiw99 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:40 pm

My garbage disposal died yesterday. Any idea where to buy with installation in Madison. It was a result of 60 cents in change and gave off the most disgusting rotten food / burnt smoky smell. Thanks!
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Re: Dead Garbage Disposal

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:43 pm

Any plumber should be able to handle the job.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Did you actually get down and look at how your garbage disposal is hooked up? You can probably pick one up for less than $100 and it takes about 10 minutes to install it. No fancy tools required, assuming you've already got a relatively new unit installed. It's kind of like changing a headlight in your car... after you're done you think, "man, I can't believe I almost paid someone to do that for me."
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:32 pm

It's suuuper easy to replace. It is a bit heavy and helps to have 2 people, but it basically screws onto the drain.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Drive around until you see signs in peoples' yards.

I would think disposing of live garbage would be even more difficult.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Pay a little extra for the good brand name and it will be a lot quieter.
If you plan to upgrade the horsepower, be sure you have the space for a larger unit. You may want to purchase the unit yourself even if you plan to have someone install it. Some plumbers will add their own mark-up to anything they install. If you have a good plumber then leave it all up to him.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:05 am

I also recommend spending a little more if you can. Make sure you get one with the large allen wrench hole in the bottom for loosening minor jams. Some brand at Menard's (GE I think?) don't have them anymore and actually tell you in the directions to stick a broom handle in from the top and try to pry the cylinder loose. That's just bad design.

The replacement isn't hard but you are dealing with wiring and plumbing so you want to get it right. If the old one is plugged in under the sink you can usually switch that cord to the new one. Most now use the screw-on attachment that Stebben mentioned. There are three round steel tubes on the collar that you can stick a phillips screwdriver through to pry it tight. It only goes on about a half turn or so and then it hits a stop tab. Personally I always try to then wire the collar to something so it can't vibrate loose. I've never heard of it happening but these things can vibrate like crazy and I don't believe that it can't happen. Once it's tightly attached you can still turn the unit to line up the plumbing.

If you buy one from Howe Plumbing on Willy st, Regan is great at explaining how to do things.

Sundberg across the street from Howe also sells a nice quality disposer but I can't remember the brand. That's where mine is from and I've had no problems in 5 years.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:12 am

Sounds so simple, but: make sure the replacement you buy actually fits in the space where it will be installed.

Yeah, I thought disposals would all be a standard size, too. Nope.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:21 am

pjbogart wrote:It's kind of like changing a headlight in your car...

Actually, it's not, in that I don't believe there's ever been a case of someone fatally electrocuting themselves changing a car headlight.

I'm not saying it's not easy. I replace outlets and light sockets all the time, but there are cases of people doing themselves in with such "simple" tasks. Some people don't like to fuck with electricity. It should be assumed that those people know their boundaries and, in such cases, it's probably worth the $80 labor charge or whatever.

Insinkerator is the only brand you need to consider, by the way. Proudly made in Racine, WI.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All