MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

madison.com limits viewing

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: madison.com limits viewing

Postby seemunkyz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:22 pm

sadiekat wrote:I did cancel, or technically speaking, not renew, my print subscription the other day. As I was looking at the renewal notice, the subscription fee for the online site just seemed more and more absurd. The girl in the subscription department was nice, although not at all surprised when she found out the reason for non-renewal. I'm sure gonna miss the Target ad in the Sunday paper :(

Ok, the m.host trick is pretty neat! Thanks! Let's just hope that they don't read these threads and block the circle route.

They need... wait for it... more advertising! Any thoughts on having to go through an ad to get to your article? I honestly wouldn't mind clicking the headline, x-out of an ad, then get to read my article. It is a source of revenue, and they don't have to charge, and inevitably alienate customers. And better than either paying or not getting to read. Let some schmuck trying to sell me something buy my news, it's about all they're good for anyway.
seemunkyz

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

I find it interesting that Channel3000.com now has a tv ad campaign touted the fact that their website is free. They do have an unfair advantage that they get money from the tv, but it's a smart hook to play.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I find it interesting that Channel3000.com now has a tv ad campaign touted the fact that their website is free. They do have an unfair advantage that they get money from the tv, but it's a smart hook to play.

For once we agree on something!
seemunkyz

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:42 am

Seems that madison.com is wide open again.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Seems that it AIN'T wide open, and my renewal for 7 days a week just arrived in the mail box...hmmmmm.....
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 am

bdog wrote:Seems that madison.com is wide open again.

No longer a five articles a month limit if you don't register or pay, but a 20 articles limit is still in place.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArnoldHarris » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:55 am

Snoqueen,

For me and my wife, the online age long ago killed off the little interest we had in television viewing. Now, the only times we even see a television set is while exercising on treadmills every morning at the big Princeton Club fitness center on Madison's far west side. Each of the treadmills that my wife and I use has its own small Samsung multi-channel television monitor mounted within arm's reach. I think she watches the National Geographic channel. But all I use the television monitor for a brief look at the weather channel and then more than a half-hour with the classic rock music channel to fill my ears.

In place of broadcast news, we both have solid reading experiences nearly every day with a copy of the Wall Street Journal while sharing coffee and an asiago cheese role at one of the Panera Bread Company sites. That, plus selected www newsites online provide us broad, multi-partisan spectra of news and opinions about events and trends of matters either or both newsworthy or interesting.

And at home, we keep a relatively vast library of books that take up space around almost all the walls of our house; all of which have been read either or both us us.

As could be expected these days, in place of personal discourse, we intervene in online blogsite discussions.

Now that we are senior citizens, nobody can accurately claim that we have not put to everyday use advanced educations that we received many years ago. But we try not to be too smug about that.

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI
ArnoldHarris

Postby amused2death » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 am

If you are too cheap or have some personal reasons for refusing to pay for content then don't read the content. But to openly talk about stealing it and teaching others how to do it is ridiculous.

Just curious Jason. Would you allow posts that teach easy ways to steal from the local hardware store or bar or mom and pop shop?
amused2death

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:59 am

amused2death wrote:If you are too cheap or have some personal reasons for refusing to pay for content then don't read the content. But to openly talk about stealing it and teaching others how to do it is ridiculous.

Just curious Jason. Would you allow posts that teach easy ways to steal from the local hardware store or bar or mom and pop shop?

How is using madison.com's mobile site "stealing"? They are offering it for free.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:39 pm

I think it's like the honor system. We know that newspaper wants us to buy its words, so when somebody finds out there's a place to get its words for free, they're not supposed to tell anybody. And if you already know about it, you're not supposed to read 'em.

Unless you have one of the devices those free words are supposed to be read with, because those free words are intended for those devices.

But if you have other devices, you're supposed to pay to read the words.

I think.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
amused2death wrote:If you are too cheap or have some personal reasons for refusing to pay for content then don't read the content. But to openly talk about stealing it and teaching others how to do it is ridiculous.

How is using madison.com's mobile site "stealing"? They are offering it for free.

There has been an iOS update out for Madison.com's app for the last couple of weeks. I have been reluctant to accept it for fear that it implements this article limit on the app as well.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby amused2death » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Henry, I'm obviously not talking about people using the free content. I am referring to the people posting ways around pay walls on various news websites. Not only are they cheap but they are thieves.
amused2death

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:02 pm

amused2death wrote:Henry, I'm obviously not talking about people using the free content. I am referring to the people posting ways around pay walls on various news websites. Not only are they cheap but they are thieves.

Didn't know that deleting cookies is a crime.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:06 pm

amused2death wrote:Not only are they cheap but they are thieves.

Give me a fucking break. Which newspaper do you work for?

If one were caught doing this, would they get arrested or pay a fine. NO, because it is not a crime. Jeebus Christ what a stupid argument.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Cleaning out the cookies is just good browsing hygiene, like washing one's underwear. In fact, if you delete cookies less often than you change underwear, your internet spoor is all the more pungent.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All