MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Surrounded by Box Elder bugs

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Surrounded by Box Elder bugs

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I feel like I'm in a horror movie over here. They haven't hit the house too bad yet but from the garage on back to the yard, they are literally EVERYwhere. The weather has been a perfect storm for them this year, and it doesn't help that I have a box elder tree in the yard, but this is by far the worst I can remember. Anything I set down in the yard for more than five minutes gets set upon.

I've gone through one spray bottle of insecticidal soap, but I don't think it even made a dent. I think they might win if they want to.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Surrounded by Box Elder bugs

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:23 pm

They get into the office building where I work. They'll be still alive and crawling around in there in friggin' February.
Also they bear more than a passing resemblance to some of the bugs in Starship Troopers. Coincidence?
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Surrounded by Box Elder bugs

Postby snoqueen » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:22 pm

They'll win, unless you cut down that tree. Consider it -- those aren't good yard trees, they have softer wood even than a silver maple, tend to tip or break in storms, and have babies everywhere so you're always digging out little seedlings. Of course, if it shades your house well enough that you don't need AC, it's a hard choice to make.

If you cut it down, you'll have to get the stump grubbed out as well or it'll send up shoots for the next twenty years. The one reason I love those trees is they've got almost as much survival energy as willow. I respect that.

One of my earliest childhood memories is of our neighbor (and landlord) at the time attacking the box elder bugs on the tree in front of our place. He was using a flame thrower, or what passed for a flame thrower in about 1950. There was fire going all over. I remember my dad saying he was nuts and the bugs would be back in a couple days. They were.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All