MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Russia's Pussy Riot

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Russia's Pussy Riot

Postby Beaver » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:19 pm

They get a two year jail sentence for illegal singing and protesting in a church. I think the 5 months they served already is more than enough, so this does sound like Putin's revenge.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/08/1 ... Y420120817

"(Reuters) - Three women from Russian punk band Pussy Riot were sentenced to two years in jail on Friday for their protest against President Vladimir Putin in a church, an outcome supporters described as the Kremlin leader's "personal revenge". The band's supporters burst into chants of "Shame" outside the Moscow courthouse and said the case showed Putin's refusal to tolerate dissent. The U.S. embassy in Moscow said the sentence appeared disproportionate to what the defendants did. The women have support abroad, where their case has been taken up by a long list of celebrities including Madonna, Paul McCartney and Sting, but opinion polls show few Russians sympathize with them...Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 22, Marina Alyokhina, 24, and Yekaterina Samutsevich, 30, giggled as the judge read out the sentences one by one. They have already been in jail for about five months, meaning they will serve another 19."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Russia's Pussy Riot

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of U.S. Rs who would sign on to the Putin approach. Especially if the offenders were associated with the Occupy movement.

"We told you you didn't have permission to protest, after all."

Life is no fun with the U.S.'s Rs.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:42 pm

All R's and D's aside...they suck.

This is the best thing that has happened, or will ever happen, for their careers.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:08 am

So kids, suppression of free speech is okay when the offenders don't meet certain standards of entertainment criteria.

If that's too complicated, just remember: if they suck, jail 'em.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:14 am

I enjoyed hearing the folks on NPR and PBS say the words 'pussy riot' over and over again.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Heh Rabble thinks their music is good. Your taste sucks buddy.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Hah. Bdog thinks it's funny to throw people in prison if he doesn't like their music.

Your priorities suck, asshole.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 pm

bdog wrote:All R's and D's aside...they suck.

This is the best thing that has happened, or will ever happen, for their careers.

Quoted for those with no reading comprehension.

Maybe twice will do the trick Rabble?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:29 pm

bdog wrote:All R's and D's aside...they suck.

Nope. For rabble, at least 3 times.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 22, Marina Alyokhina, 24, and Yekaterina Samutsevich, 30, giggled as the judge read out the sentences one by one.

And you're worried about ME thinking it's funny?

Tell you what fucko, I'll take it seriously when they do.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:08 pm

You really do have a problem with women who do not act within the narrow paths you find acceptable, don't you.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 pm

These girls pulled a pretty lame stunt to purposely get arrested, gain international fame and make careers out of nothing. Did you actually watch the video of what got them arrested? The parishioners, priests, nuns, whatever were obviously very irritated by a bunch of masked imbeciles invading their church, creating havoc and playing mediocre music, and that's being really kind to them.

Two years in prison, time off for good behavior if such a thing exists in Russia, and they're international musical superstars! How many Russian bands do you listen to? One, right? Pussy Riot!

Geez, you'd think Tchaikovsky got arrested for putting Idaho potatoes in his borscht.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Okay, I guess I might have over reacted. I've never seen the video or listened to their music.

I thought two years in a Russian prison was a high price to pay for a shot at fame and fortune.

I mean, yeah it might work but who the hell knows what the market's going to be like in two years, and there was no guarantee it was going to be only a two year sentence, and although I can't think of many cases where somebody else has tried that tactic and succeeded, maybe someone has.

So I guess maybe yeah. It could be that they were askin for it, and it's a brilliant plan to market their lack of talent.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:27 pm

pjbogart wrote: How many Russian bands do you listen to? One, right? Pussy Riot!

On the contrary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrSKG3TS0uE
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:31 am

Great band name, but this is a very odd story that has captured our collective attention. I'm with bdog's sentiment on this one unless someone has some other context.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines