MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

New Lien Rd Roundabout

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: New Lien Rd Roundabout

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:47 pm

I think it does make sense to yield to a driver on an inner lane when you're using the outer lane, because that inner-lane driver may be about to exit across the outer lane.

Another way of putting it is that there is a single established order, just as if there were only a single lane. The driver on the inner lane is ahead of you and you need to yield if your paths happen to cross.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:18 pm

Okay, we've figured out that you're supposed to yield, you can't fix stupid, and Madison drivers suck.

I'm more curious about what that roundabout was supposed to fix. If the 2010 crash report has no mention of that intersection, and the 2011 report lists it as the worst crash site in the entire city, what the hell was it fixing?

Is it there to be the buffer, the zone of dumb drivers, to get everyone else used to the idea?

If a traffic construction is supposed to make things better, what's gotten better? If a traffic construction's main effect is to give dumb drivers something to hit, what good is it doing?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:24 pm

rabble wrote:I'm more curious about what that roundabout was supposed to fix. If the 2010 crash report has no mention of that intersection, and the 2011 report lists it as the worst crash site in the entire city, what the hell was it fixing?

Not sure about accidents, but there's definitely less congestion. When there were lights there backups were frequent.

Anecdotally I'd say left turns seemed pretty dangerous there, but alas I don't have any sort of data or analysis to back that up.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Wasn't that area closed much of 2010 for construction?
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:44 pm

Jesus Christ. I feel like I'm going to die every time I get behind the wheel in this town.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Ninja wrote:Jesus Christ. I feel like I'm going to die every time I get behind the wheel in this town.
Well, please don't use the roundabouts until you're better ...
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:51 pm

So, to sum up: we can add "driving in a circle" to the list of Things Too Hard for Modern Citizens to Comprehend.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 pm

fennel wrote:
Ninja wrote:Jesus Christ. I feel like I'm going to die every time I get behind the wheel in this town.
Well, please don't use the roundabouts until you're better ...

Yeah, I don't really think the transit situation in Madison is funny, or cute, or quirky. I think it's fucking pathetic. I've never seen adults behave like this in my life. If it weren't for remdial speed limits and traffic engineering I suspect it would be a bloodbath.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Ninja wrote:
fennel wrote:Well, please don't use the roundabouts until you're better ...

Yeah, I don't really think the transit situation in Madison is funny, or cute, or quirky. I think it's fucking pathetic. I've never seen adults behave like this in my life. If it weren't for remdial speed limits and traffic engineering I suspect it would be a bloodbath.

My, my! Where else have you driven?

My first impression of Madison was that it needed courtesy cops – like the white-gloved pushers in a Tokyo subway – to give a wake-up bang on waiting cars to let them know when the light had turned green.

On the other hand, after six years I somehow found myself on the beltway during rush hour. That really is a clusterphoque. It's like a Dantean circle of hell surrounding an oasis.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:11 pm

fennel wrote:On the other hand, after six years I somehow found myself on the beltway during rush hour. That really is a clusterphoque.

I still don't understand this. So it slows down for, maybe 30-60 minutes a day during the week? I think of large stretches of the Eisenhower and Kennedy in Chicago that are stop and go (or close to it) for large chunks of the day, even on weekends.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:17 pm

lukpac wrote:I still don't understand this...

Why do you complain when I chop off your thumb? I could just as well lop off you're entire forearm.

I don't understand this.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 pm

snoqueen wrote:But all lanes don't yield the way they should, resulting in the wrecks shown by the data. I would like to see the breakdown of types of crashes, but I bet I'm describing it correctly.

How else are they crashing? It's not like people try to go around clockwise or something.

I have seen this -- a driver making a left turn by short-circuiting the roundabout clockwise. Makes it exciting for other drivers!

The biggest problem with roundabouts is the utter lack of public education. They certainly didn't teach me about them in Driver's Ed as they didn't exist around here back then. I hope they're teaching about them now. But they really need to get a big PR campaign out to all drivers.

I've learned more about how to use roundabouts in this thread than everywhere else combined.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:38 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:I have seen this -- a driver making a left turn by short-circuiting the roundabout clockwise. Makes it exciting for other drivers!

I've seen that with those glorified islands in residential areas, but never with the true roundabouts like on Thompson. The entrance angle on those makes it pretty much impossible anyway.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:31 am

lukpac wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:I have seen this -- a driver making a left turn by short-circuiting the roundabout clockwise. Makes it exciting for other drivers!

I've seen that with those glorified islands in residential areas, but never with the true roundabouts like on Thompson. The entrance angle on those makes it pretty much impossible anyway.

Yeah I don't remember where it was ... either near East Towne or over by Greenway (but not Thompson).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:59 am

lukpac wrote:

And it is completely legal around those neighborhood intersection obstruction islands.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe