MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Republican Demoted for Pushing Republican Agenda

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Republican Demoted for Pushing Republican Agenda

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Sorry, I know this conversation is already started in the "Headlines" section, but if it wasn't national politics as of this morning, it is now.

The avalanche of criticism has been strangely bipartisan following Todd Akin's assertion that women's bodies will resist pregnancy after a "legitimate rape". But where did Representative Akin go wrong? Is the term "legitimate rape" simply too loaded? Surely Akin's dunderheaded ignorance of biology isn't enough to suffer the wrath of the entire Republican Party. Republicans say stupid shit like this all the time and Todd Akin is one of their own Representatives on the Science and Technology Committee!

While Mitt Romney may be a Johnny-come-lately to the world of militant anti-abortion politics, his running mate Paul Ryan is no stranger to the subject, nor is he a stranger to Todd Akin. Are you going to tell me that in co-drafting a "Personhood Amendment" Todd Akin and Paul Ryan never spoke about the issue of rape? I find that absolutely impossible to believe.

So why the outrage now? Why, when a respected member of the Republican caucus accidentally says something he's probably said 100 times before, is there such an outcry of condemnation that he's being pushed out of his own party for expressing the views of many within his party?

What Akin apparently fails to understand is this: Just because colleagues like Ryan share his views, that doesn’t mean he can talk about them when there’s a presidential race going on -- especially a race in which his party’s candidate is fudging his views on the subject in hopes of attracting moderates.

With all due respect to Margaret Carlson, that should be "his party's candidate(s) are fudging their views on the subject in hopes of attracting moderates." Mitt Romney was pro-choice before he found himself pandering to right-wing idealogues in hopes of winning the Republican Primary. Paul Ryan has been conveniently silent on the topic, strange given that he has been a vocal opponent of abortion, even in the cases of rape and incest.

If you're fighting for what you believe to be moral and just, what you believe to be God's commands, why would you be so quick to bury those beliefs at the first sign of controversy? Which is more important, being true to your God or winning an election?

These men are charlatans, make no mistake about it. Their "principles" are whatever gets them the most votes.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Republican Demoted for Pushing Republican Agenda

Postby bdog » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:04 pm

For more see: Obama's "evolving" position on gay marriage.

Peej, did your subscription to "Duh" magazine run out?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:15 pm

You're flailing, Bad Dog. The whole equivalency thing is such a tired canard (and utterly shameful.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:36 pm

bdog wrote:Peej, did your subscription to "Duh" magazine run out?

In reference to what? My accusation that Republicans are just charlatans? For all of the articles I've read on the Akin controversy, I've yet to see anyone call Republicans out on their failure to stand up for their beliefs. It's all about what Todd Akin meant by "legitimate" or whether his refusal to bow out of the race endangers Republican's chances to retake the Senate.

What say you, bdog? You're a moderate Republican, right? If a candidate believes that abortion is a immoral even in the cases of rape and incest, shouldn't he or she say so publicly?

Why do we have to vote for candidates based upon what they say, even if what they say is different from what they believe? Shouldn't candidates lay it all out and let voters decide who best represents their views?

I'm tired of the lies. I think we all are. Todd Akin said exactly what he believes and a real man stands by his convictions. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan need to tell the voters whether they believe that a woman who is raped should be able to get an abortion. And yes, I understand that it's a lose-lose proposition for them. If they say that abortion should be allowed, they alienate the far right, if they say it shouldn't they alienate the center. But we have a right to know what our politicians think about controversial subjects, don't we?

And that includes Barack Obama's "evolving" position on gay marriage.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:02 pm

I really don't think Romney Ayn Rand care one way or another whether a woman who is raped should be able to get an abortion. They're just following the script, as delivered on a given day.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:44 pm

pjbogart wrote: Surely Akin's dunderheaded ignorance of biology isn't enough to suffer the wrath of the entire Republican Party. Republicans say stupid shit like this all the time and Todd Akin is one of their own Representatives on the Science and Technology Committee!

Wow.
pjbogart wrote: Are you going to tell me that in co-drafting a "Personhood Amendment" Todd Akin and Paul Ryan never spoke about the issue of rape? I find that absolutely impossible to believe.

Good point. Maybe somebody should ask Rep. Ryan about that.
pjbogart wrote:
So why the outrage now? Why, when a respected member of the Republican caucus accidentally says something he's probably said 100 times before, is there such an outcry of condemnation that he's being pushed out of his own party for expressing the views of many within his party?
With all these Republicans distancing themselves from this douche, it would be nice if they would clarify exactly what they find offensive in his statements. Akin's strange understanding of biology? The difference between 'forcible' and other types of rape? Forcing women to bear the child of their rapist?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 am

It broke the rules on "what a gentleman does not say in public but what we all know."

Just a few millimeters away from "what we all know but only refer to in code" which itself is only inches from the Dog Whistle thing and from using nonsensically scrambled versions of somebody's name to express entire paragraphs of contempt.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:21 am

pjbogart wrote:And that includes Barack Obama's "evolving" position on gay marriage.

Well it gives me hope that at least you and I agree on this. Hell, fennel won't even admit they're even in the same universe.

These guys get away with lying because the people on their own team let them get away from it, and because Americans are stupid (R's and D's both).

Maybe lie detector tests are the answer. Live from television city of course. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Added: this is why I like Joe Biden. The man's mental editor is practically non-existent. You want to know what Joe Biden really thinks? Just ask him.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government