MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Finally... Pedros West closes.

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Finally... Pedros West closes.

Postby Crockett » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:11 am

"Martine vows to reopen a Pedro's location on the West Side. "We have such good, loyal regular customers. The phone's been ringing off the hook. Everybody's very disappointed as I am," he said.

If this is true I've lost a sliver of my faith in humanity.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:12 am

They used to do well with their mugarita's and karaoke. Yeah the food was really, really bad. Still surprised. Not much in the way of nightlife left on the West side.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:42 am

Just another reason for us eastsiders to be smug, WE GOTS A PEDRO'S!!!
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:40 pm

There is still Laredo's, La Mestiza, and Labambas all within a 5 minute drive of Pedro's old spot. Not to mention Pasqual's at Hilldale. We will do just fine as far as Mexican is concerned.
seemunkyz

Postby gargantua » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Stomach wrote:Just another reason for us eastsiders to be smug, WE GOTS A PEDRO'S!!!

Smug? I think a better word is "ashamed".
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:04 pm

okbpinwi wrote:Good. disgusting awful food

Agreed. I'm sorry to hear they vow to reopen a Pedro's location on the West Side. Please close forever.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:20 pm

I always saw big crowds there for half price Margaritas on Thursdays. I was under the impression it was kind of a meet-up time for younger folks. The husband and I went there occasionally to watch Packer and Badger games on the big screen tv's. Nice to enjoy the crowd and the game. The food? Eh. Not so much. Little to no spice in a so-called "Mexican" restaurant is just wrong. And their freebie snacks consisted of left over stale tortilla chips from the day before, with velveeta cheese sauce, rice, and fatty refried beans. I've been to places like this with freebie snacks but they were good. It's like gyros without lamb, Nacho's without cheese, a weekend without fun, Rocky without Bullwinkle, Bugs without Elmer Fudd ... you get my drift. Hint to the owner: hire some Mexican cooks and LET THEM make it right.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:47 am

gargantua wrote:
Stomach wrote:Just another reason for us eastsiders to be smug, WE GOTS A PEDRO'S!!!

Yeah, we need a [sarcasm] tag.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:14 am

ilikebeans wrote:
gargantua wrote:

Yeah, we need a [sarcasm] tag.

It was just a joke. In fairness to Pedro's I haven't been there in many years so my only real opinion about them is I know enough to not want to go there.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby f/k/a Baboocole » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:48 pm

The only thing worth eating on their entire menu was the make your own guacamole. My last experience there was just sad...no amount of half priced margaritas could make up for the food.
f/k/a Baboocole

Postby Lily » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Pedro's owners--please look up some real Mexican recipes. Really, lots of 'em on Google, lots of recipe books at Frugal Muse and Half Price Books, and for goodness sakes bring on the freshly sliced jalapeno!! I can get more spice and flavor at Taco Bell and that's not saying much especially since I don't eat there either.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:14 am

Don't really understand all the hatred for them here... I didn't care for the food much, and rarely went there to eat. The bar was handy for the occasional happy hour for someone at work. But really, if you hate the place, can't you just not go there? I never liked TGI Fridays, but it didn't bother me if someone else did.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:23 pm

Yeah, I don't get the Pedro's hate. If you went there for authentic or tasty Mexican fare, then you deserved what you got.

Big blender margaritas, chips and mass-produced salsa? Not a bad way to spend a happy hour or to watch MMA fights.
AndyMatts

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews