MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

RwP: Top 5 Movie Flops

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

RwP: Top 5 Movie Flops

Postby Schabow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 am

Shit!!!! I just noticed you kind of had a thread like this with best bad movies. This, I suppose, is a little different. My brother and I discuss our top 5 movie flops. The criteria is that it had to be a box office flop, but also critically panned, it also couldn't be a cult classic or a deliberatly trashy movie like a Roger Coreman movie.

Anyway, here it is on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87M9D4iRd2A

Here it is directly from my blog.
http://www.shabhead.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... flops.html
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Re: RwP: Top 5 Movie Flops

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Nicely done. Not since Christopher Lloyd in BTTF has a hat been worn so well as yours is.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:00 am

OK, so here was the list...

Jeremy’s List (My Brother)
5. Boat Trip
4. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
3. The Pirate Movie
2. Superman 4
1. RV
Honorable Mention: Xanadu

My List
5. Masters of the Universe
4. What Planet Are You From
3. The 13th Warrior
2. Dead Bang
1. Death to Smoochy
Honorable Mention: Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Batman & Robin (actually walked out of that one)
Waterworld
Godzilla
(the 90s version)
Cowboys & Aliens
John Carter
(didn't see it, but the "flop" buzz was impossible to miss)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Believe it or not, these are actually Top 5 Movie Flops that we liked...and perhaps a bit embarrassed that we like.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Ah, gotcha, I thought you meant floppiest. Favorite flops is tougher...
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Wait, Death To Smoochy makes the cut, but not Cabin Boy, a far superior but equally-floppy Adam Resnick movie? And what list of greatest flops is complete without Shakes The Clown? (Or any of Bobcat Goldthwaite's other directorial efforts, for that matter.)

I'd also include The Kids In The Hall's Brain Candy. (Even The Kids themselves say it's bad. THEY ARE WRONG!)
Then there's the king of flops, The Big Lebowski, which was roundly snubbed by critics and ignored at the box office when first released. Does its subsequent acceptance disqualify it from consideration?

BTW -- Smoochy is easily the best movie on your list. I have particular loathing for What Planet... as it was a primary component of one of the worst dates of my life.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Wait, Death To Smoochy makes the cut, but not Cabin Boy, a far superior but equally-floppy Adam Resnick movie? And what list of greatest flops is complete without Shakes The Clown? (Or any of Bobcat Goldthwaite's other directorial efforts, for that matter.)

I'd also include The Kids In The Hall's Brain Candy. (Even The Kids themselves say it's bad. THEY ARE WRONG!)
Then there's the king of flops, The Big Lebowski, which was roundly snubbed by critics and ignored at the box office when first released. Does its subsequent acceptance disqualify it from consideration?

BTW -- Smoochy is easily the best movie on your list. I have particular loathing for What Planet... as it was a primary component of one of the worst dates of my life.

Cabin Boy, Shakes the Clown and Brain Candy, I considered them all cult classics. We steered away from cult classics.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Run Ronnie Run. Bob and David hated it. I still love me some Three Time One Minus one.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seemunkyz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Schabow wrote:Believe it or not, these are actually Top 5 Movie Flops that we liked...and perhaps a bit embarrassed that we like.

You should have specified! You had me a bit worried with Death to Smoochey on the list. That is an awesome movie. For me it could also go on the list of movies I can watch over and over...

I was also wondering how everyone already forgot about the most recent flop: Battleship. That had sooo much hype then disappeared faster than cake in front of a fat kid...
seemunkyz

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:31 pm

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Hands down, favorite flop is "The Princess Bride". Most people don't even know that it was a flop, but despite being directed by Rob Reiner, this amazing movie took in a pathetic $206k in its opening weekend. Word apparently spread that it was pretty good and it managed to recoup its cost of $16 mil and went on to gross $30 mil total, but really, that's still pathetic considering that virtually everyone you know owns a copy of this movie.

Perhaps having been released in 1987 hurt "The Princess Bride" as I think it may be the most impressive year of movie releases in history. To put its floppiness in perspective, 35 movies grossed more than "The Princess Bride" in 1987.

The top grossing movies of 1987
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:44 am

Wow...I actually didn't know that was a flop!
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:56 am

Dunno, I think if a film recouped its costs in its first run, it wasn't a flop.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:38 am

One of my picks, The 13th Warrior cost $160 million and only made $60 million. Of course, if you do the math, the movie studio lost $100 million on the movie. That's awful. The thing is, the money doesn't even show on the screen. It's very gritty, hand held kind of cheap looking movie.
Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies