MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Meet Paul Ryan's wife

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Meet Paul Ryan's wife

Postby Shorty » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 pm

I wouldn't have guessed this. Ryan's wife comes from a Democratic family in Oklahoma. How could she have messed up so badly in her husband choice? I suppose we will be hearing a lot about her the next few months.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Ryan-s- ... index.html
Ryan's wife comes from storied Okla. Dem. family

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/meet ... 08522.html
Meet Janna Ryan: The smart, down-to-earth wife of Paul Ryan

"The daughter of two lawyers, Ryan grew up in Madill, Okla., in a family steeped in politics. Her uncle is a former governor of Oklahoma, and her first cousin, Dan Boren, is a retiring Democratic congressman from the same state. In 1987, Ryan left small-town Oklahoma for Wellesley, a selective women's college located outside of Boston, where her mother also went. Ryan majored in Spanish."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Meet Paul Ryan's wife

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:37 pm

She may have majored in Spanish, but she minored in rolling her eyes. She should get together with Ann Althouse. I'm sure they'd have a lot to talk about.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Shorty wrote:I wouldn't have guessed this. Ryan's wife comes from a Democratic family in Oklahoma. How could she have messed up so badly in her husband choice?

I am guessing that people inside politics are much more tolerant of opposing viewpoints than people realize. Politics, poker, and life are all games where you have limited information available, and have to extrapolate. Two intelligent people can reach differing conclusions given the same data.

I had no right to be choosy - there is only one political issue that I can think of that would have been a deal breaker for me. I certainly was not going to cast aspersions based on someone's thoughts on tort reform, corporate taxes, or the Trilateral commission.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Now he's bringing his mother into the campaign. If his mom relies on it, and his grandma did, why does he want to end it?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/paul ... 40518.html
Paul Ryan makes personal appeal to Florida seniors on Medicare

"Standing between two signs that read "Protect and Strengthen Medicare," Ryan made the most personal case for overhauling Medicare yet during his time on the campaign trail. With his mother, 78-year-old Betty Ryan Douglas, standing near him on the stage, Ryan discussed how the Medicare program has played a role in his own family's life. "Like a lot of Americans, when I think of Medicare, it's not just a program. It's not just a bunch of numbers. It's what my mom relies on. It's what my grandma had," Ryan said. He told of how is grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and moved into his mother's home when he was in high school. "Medicare was there for our family, for my grandma, when we needed it then. And Medicare is there for my mom while she needs it now and we have to keep that guarantee." Hundreds of seniors from the neighborhood came out in support of Ryan, while a few protestors stood on the outskirts holding signs against against Ryan's Medicare plan. A small plane flew over the rally carrying a banner reading, "Paul Ryan: Keep Your Hands Off My Medicare!"
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Has politics become so cynical that a Randian accolyte, a man who has utter disdain for all social programs, would stand at a podium feigning respect for an institution he fully intends to dismantle? Have we come to a point in democracy where campaigns are no longer about selling your ideas to the voters and hoping that the voters support your agenda? Do politicians fight for voters or simply for votes?

Are we left with nothing but charlatans and demagogues? Do we blame the liars or do we blame ourselves for believing the lies?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:55 pm

pjbogart wrote:Are we left with nothing but charlatans and demagogues? Do we blame the liars or do we blame ourselves for believing the lies?

Pretty much, and it's our fault. Not for believing them....how many people do you know actually take what a politician says at face value?

It's our fault for not demanding better. And it's our fault because we want all of our entitlements, and good police and fire protection, and good roads, and so on. And we want them for free, or to be paid for by someone else.

We've been on this road since Walter Mondale was honest and said "I'll raise your taxes" and got drubbed for it. No one has dared to be honest with the American electorate after that example.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:17 am

gargantua wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Are we left with nothing but charlatans and demagogues? Do we blame the liars or do we blame ourselves for believing the lies?

Pretty much, and it's our fault. Not for believing them....how many people do you know actually take what a politician says at face value?

Sometimes the politicians are just telling you what they think you want to hear.So, nobody believes them.

And sometimes they take positions so extreme, nobody believes them.

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/ ... ician.html
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:49 am

Has politics become so cynical that a Randian accolyte, a man who has utter disdain for all social programs, would stand at a podium feigning respect for an institution he fully intends to dismantle? Have we come to a point in democracy where campaigns are no longer about selling your ideas to the voters and hoping that the voters support your agenda?

Yep, I think so. It's all coming down to advertising, who can buy advertising, and who will watch/hear certain ads.

I think what you're seeing is campaigning targeted to various groups without any continuity at all among the messages. Ryan can, for example, make a speech or a video addressing retired people and saying he'll protect Medicare with no changes forever. Then he can turn around and make an ad targeting 20-something voters that says everyone will be on their own and they can buy some kind of vouchers, and he'll set up a wonderful voucher system as soon as he's elected. And he can make more ads targeting other constituents that say something totally different. "Ryan is compassionate!" "Ryan is just like you!" "Ryan is one smart guy!"

What he can count on is almost nobody's paying enough attention to compare all the messages' content (if any) and realize the content doesn't add up. Those who are paying attention are told the message is "evolving" and not to think too hard. Attention spans are so short and people are so preoccupied they're expected believe the most recent ad they viewed and, supposedly, remember it when they vote. Or they'll believe the most recent negative ad they viewed and not vote.

I think that's the plan.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Now the top story on yahoo news is that Paul Ryan had a black girlfriend in college. Does that matter? “Political pundits may wonder how Ryan will use this relationship to advance himself or to make himself more credible,” writes Mr. Chatz. “Ryan is now placing himself way beyond the ‘I have black friends’ category and entering a world where few would dare to tread.”

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/paul-ryans-bla ... y%3Doldest
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Shorty wrote:“Ryan is now placing himself way beyond the ‘I have black friends’ category and entering a world where few would dare to tread.”

What is that supposed to mean?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:15 pm

I think he means most Americans, especially prominent politicians, marry within their race. Right? How many prominent US politicians that married outside their race can you name?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:38 pm

Shorty wrote:I think he means most Americans, especially prominent politicians, marry within their race. Right? How many prominent US politicians that married outside their race can you name?

Nothing in that quote about interracial marriage, and the context is specifically white men and black women, so Thomas Jefferson comes immediately to mind. More to the point, though, is why "fear?"
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:55 am

pjbogart wrote:She may have majored in Spanish, but she minored in rolling her eyes. She should get together with Ann Althouse. I'm sure they'd have a lot to talk about.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Ah, the old irrelevant, unflattering picture response.

Ned, you've been particularly lazy lately.
I'm telling your handlers.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Bland wrote:I'm telling your handlers.

That's fine.

Just don't tell my fondlers
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government