MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Obama

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Meade wrote:But here is the essential truth: Barack Obama will not be fully satisfied until the American middle class is reduced to the economic level of the Kenyan middle class. Barack Obama hates the American middle class. You think he loves you. He doesn't. He. hates. your. very. guts. He was brought up that way and he has not changed one iota.

Hates your middle class guts.
^Wow! lol!!!

Can you name a time when wealth redistribution to the top coupled with deregulation of the financial industry has worked in America? Please have at it...
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Obama

Postby Meade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Just as Obama hates Israel.

Hates. Israel.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Obama

Postby Meade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:09 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:wealth redistribution to the top

Never been done. The only "redistribution" has been top to bottom.

Distribution of wealth, goods, and services has always been most free during times of low regulation and low taxation. See Kennedy, J.F.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Obama

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:13 pm

Israel~ Hmm, that must be why he's given Israel more weapons than Bush. And, despite the rhetoric, hasn't changed any policies in regards to Israel and even vetoed another UN resolution that attempted to bring Israel in compliance with International laws.

Kennedy lowered taxes on the top, but he also eliminated the loopholes so that the top paid close to the same overall, so that doesn't fit the criteria.

Deregulation and low taxes on the top, preceded/caused the Great Depression, the recession of 1991, and this recession. Unless you have something specific...
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Obama

Postby Meade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Rejection of over-regulation, reducing socialism, freeing markets, and lowering taxation has preceded every economic boom everywhere.

See Clinton, William Jefferson.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Obama

Postby Sandi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Never been done. The only "redistribution" has been top to bottom.


Correct, and 47 percent don't pay any federal income tax at all. They get enough breaks to cancel their taxes out.

So we have 53 percent carrying the 47 percent whiners.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Obama

Postby DCB » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Meade wrote: All I know is, I am well below ruling class.

Which is a consequence of the extreme economic inequality in the US. Even incomes in the top 20% ( > $90K, very well off) are tiny compared to the ruling class.

But the median income in the US is around $44K.

The $250K cut-off in the Obama proposal applies to less 2% of households in the US, which can't be considered 'middle class' by any rational person.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Obama

Postby DCB » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Sandi wrote:
Never been done. The only "redistribution" has been top to bottom.


Correct, and 47 percent don't pay any federal income tax at all. They get enough breaks to cancel their taxes out.

So we have 53 percent carrying the 47 percent whiners.

Right, that's why there are so many wealthy poor people.

What an idiot.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Obama

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Meade wrote:Rejection of over-regulation, reducing socialism, freeing markets, and lowering taxation has preceded every economic boom everywhere.

See Clinton, William Jefferson.
The only straw you have I guess. Clinton raised taxes on the top from 31% to 39.5%. Alan Greenspan had this to say about that:
“The single most crucial element in creating the surplus was Clinton’s stimulus package of 1993”
(in Washington Monthly)

Since tax revenue from the top was the same under Kennedy due to the elimination of many of the loopholes (no one paid 91% anyway), and Clinton raised taxes, not lowered them, when has lowering taxes created an economic boom?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Obama

Postby Meade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Wrong, DCB. The reason I am below the ruling class is because we have no ruling class in this country. You'd like to think we do because it would explain your disappointments in life. What we have is a representative democracy and it rules at the consent of the governed. We are all middle class. Some have more wealth than others. If you want more wealth, you are free to apply your talents to its pursuit. But you and Obama will need to give up trying to create a class war where there isn't one. And get off your ass and produce something someone else wants.

Tough world, huh?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Obama

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Sandi wrote:
Never been done. The only "redistribution" has been top to bottom.


Correct, and 47 percent don't pay any federal income tax at all.
They get enough breaks to cancel their taxes out.

So we have 53 percent carrying the 47 percent whiners.
False. How many people pay federal FICA taxes, which aren't included in that total?

How many who pay federal FOCA taxes of nearly 14% (when you include the employers share of the SS tax, which would otherwise be in your check), but pay no federal progressive tax, are paid so little that they can't afford top pay the Fed progressive tax? How did that happen? Employers have a choice: Pay their employees enough so they can be taxed, or skim the money made off their labor and pay more themselves. The rich have chosen to shortchange their employees then whine about paying more taxes, "Only WE pay taxes!" But that's their choice. Pretty sick, huh?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Obama

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Meade wrote:Wrong, DCB. The reason I am below the ruling class is because we have no ruling class in this country. You'd like to think we do because it would explain your disappointments in life. What we have is a representative democracy and it rules at the consent of the governed. We are all middle class. Some have more wealth than others. If you want more wealth, you are free to apply your talents to its pursuit. But you and Obama will need to give up trying to create a class war where there isn't one. And get off your ass and produce something someone else wants.

Tough world, huh?
That explains why there are more millionaires in America, yet the median income is flat or less. And it completely explains this: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... hart-graph

Wouldn't it be wise for you at least attempt to have a grasp on reality BEFORE you post?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Obama

Postby DCB » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Meade wrote:Wrong, DCB. The reason I am below the ruling class is because we have no ruling class in this country. You'd like to think we do because it would explain your disappointments in life. What we have is a representative democracy and it rules at the consent of the governed. We are all middle class. Some have more wealth than others. If you want more wealth, you are free to apply your talents to its pursuit. But you and Obama will need to give up trying to create a class war where there isn't one. And get off your ass and produce something someone else wants.

Tough world, huh?

The only disappointment I have is that you believe this shit.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Obama

Postby david cohen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:46 pm

You should really try yachting.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: Obama

Postby Sandi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:57 pm

False. How many people pay federal FICA taxes, which aren't included in that total?


Ah yes: when your argument is destroyed compare apples to oranges. I didn't even mention FICA taxes, my post was ONLY about income taxes ( taxes on wages if you need it spelled out ). I didn't say they pay not taxes at all. Sheesh!

Employers have a choice: Pay their employees enough so they can be taxed, or skim the money made off their labor and pay more themselves.


Haven't you heard? Class warfare doesn't work. lol
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar