MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Moped restrictions

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Moped restrictions

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 am

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 963f4.html

Interesting story and a policy that I'm sure will be challenged and complained about for months if not years.

There are a ton more mopeds on campus today than when I was in school and use among athletes in particular is near 100%. Check out the scooter parking near Camp Randall some time. And I'm sure those of you who work on campus will testify about the danger of crossing a street between classes and encountering a buzzing herd of scooters, half of which are piloted by kids wearing earphones.

But what if you're an engineering student with an apartment on Doty Street and a job at Frank's Shed (is there still a Frank's Shed?). What if you're an Ag student with a job on State and an apartment on Charter?

I know, I know... get a bike. That's what I had in school and it served me fine (L&S student, apartment on Langdon, job at the Capitol) and you can't ride a scooter as effectively as a mountain bike in winter. But still... lots of kids are going to scoff at this law. Are they all going to be ticketed?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Moped restrictions

Postby Detritus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:04 am

jjoyce wrote:But what if you're an engineering student with an apartment on Doty Street and a job at Frank's Shed (is there still a Frank's Shed?). What if you're an Ag student with a job on State and an apartment on Charter?

Not a problem in either case--the restrictions concern the use of mopeds on campus, not off campus. In other words, ride to campus, park, and walk on campus.

I'm sure the athletic department will find a way of shielding itself from the new rules, probably by buying the permits for the athletes and running interference when they violate the regulations.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:17 am

But what if you're an engineering student with an apartment on Doty Street and a job at Frank's Shed (is there still a Frank's Shed?). What if you're an Ag student with a job on State and an apartment on Charter?
One can play this game with ever-increasing distances between the locations involved, e.g. "what if you're a geology student with an apartment in Middleton and a job in Sun Prairie?" It is still the responsibility of the individual to make sure that their job/school travel plans are feasible within the time allotted. This is true even if all of the locations involved are still "on campus".

Regarding the moped rules, I think they will be an improvement on campus.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:42 am

I agree. When I was part of campus life, a big consideration in picking classes was scheduling things so you could physically get from one to the next.

Maybe the way scheduling options for certain classes have been eliminated makes this harder, but it's still part of setting up a semester.

If you think about it, it's part of training for adulthood, too. Do you really have to live in Sun Prairie and work at Epic?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:58 am

The crackdown has begun. About five minutes ago I saw a UW cop car with lights flashing, pulled over behind a moped near the intersection of Randall and Regent, which is close to but not on campus.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:11 pm

They're worried over the trend of the Freshman 15 slowing becoming the Freshman 50.

Those red booty shorts are getting fuller and fuller.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:23 pm

I think the crackdown will only be on mopeds parked in prohibited spaces. So you get your permit for a lot and that's where you have to park your scooter. Can't park it by the bike rack in front of Van Hise, hop on it after French and ride it over to Humanities and park it there for Econ. Instead, you have to park it in a commuter lot by the Kohl Center or Camp Randall or the Nat and walk to both classes and then back to your scooter to ride it home.

That kid probably got pulled over for a different reason.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:31 pm

jjoyce wrote:That kid probably got pulled over for a different reason.

I'm sure he did. City police don't enforce UW regulations off campus. Or on campus, either. They don't even go on campus unless invited or in hot pursuit.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Detritus wrote:

I'm sure he did. City police don't enforce UW regulations off campus. Or on campus, either. They don't even go on campus unless invited or in hot pursuit.

It was a UW cop car (unmarked, but obvious) and within a block of their station and close to their parking lot.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Detritus wrote:

It was a UW cop car (unmarked, but obvious) and within a block of their station and close to their parking lot.

Ah, well. That's different.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The crackdown has begun. About five minutes ago I saw a UW cop car with lights flashing, pulled over behind a moped near the intersection of Randall and Regent, which is close to but not on campus.

Yes Henry, I'm quite sure you're right. What other possible reason could there be for a cop to pull over a student on campus? Bet the bastard tased 'em too.

This blatant abuse of power/Police State has to end!

I say we rally.
bcs89

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:12 pm

What point are you trying to make? I assume the moper was pulled over because the UW cop observed a traffic law violation.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:35 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:What point are you trying to make? I assume the moper was pulled over because the UW cop observed a traffic law violation.

My bad Henry - I went ahead and made the wild assumption that when you said "The crackdown has begun" you were referring to topic of this thread - new moped parking regs, and enforcement there of..

Obviously you were referring to a different/unspecified thread topic about speeding mopeds.

See folks - this is what happens when you ASSume a foron actually has a grip on reality.
bcs89

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:41 pm

At the beginning of every school year the cops crack down on a multitude of violations by students. Some years they even go after jaywalkers. I have no idea whether or not the stopped moped driver was speeding. But you seem to think so.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Henry, you bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "pompous ass" .
bcs89

Next

Return to Town Vibe