MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Obama

Postby Sandi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:55 pm

HawkHead wrote:Do you have proof of a growing trend or are you repeating what you have heard on conservative "news" programs?

Proof!? How about just taking a look at the growth of mandatory spending and entitlement spending: that should render your question moot at best.

HawkHead wrote:In 2008 we were hit with an almost complete meltdown of the financial industry.

Thanks to Barney Frank with the bill to force banks to lend to high risk applicants.

HawkHead wrote:The issue I have is that in good econmic times the government should be cutting back on services and saving money for a rainny day

Agreed.

HawkHead wrote:Talk to any economist on this. When the economy is going poorly the governments responsibilty is to stimulate the economy.

Yeah well "any economist" who agrees with you I guess. Almost all economic growth comes from taxpayer spending, not government spending.

The military budget could also be cut without cutting much into military projects, by effecient handing of their budget instead of spending with no worry about where the money comes from.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:59 pm

The military budget could also be cut without cutting much into military projects, by effecient handing of their budget instead of spending with no worry about where the money comes from.

Romney/Ryan support mandatory military budget increases in their budget.

Thanks to Barney Frank with the bill to force banks to lend to high risk applicants.

Completely false.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:09 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Completely false.

Why? Because you say so? Google is your friend.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Please show me the Barney Frank Make Bad Loans bill. At the very least reference what the fuck it is you're talking about.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Sandi wrote:Proof!? How about just taking a look at the growth of mandatory spending and entitlement spending: that should render your question moot at best.

Really, so we have the highest level of sustained unemployment in 40+ years and we shouldn't see a corresponding increase in entitlement spending?
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Really, so we have the highest level of sustained unemployment in 40+ years and we shouldn't see a corresponding increase in entitlement spending?

I think the Tea persons think we should see a corresponding increase in people becoming homeless and dieing of exposure.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:44 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

I think the Tea persons think we should see a corresponding increase in people becoming homeless and dieing of exposure.

Except for the survivors, who will all become billionaires.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Yes. This is exactly what Jesus taught on the famous Sermon from the back of a dinosaur.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:08 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I think the Tea persons think we should see a corresponding increase in people becoming homeless and dieing of exposure.

I think you meant to say, "dieting" leading to additional exposure.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:07 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Yes. This is exactly what Jesus taught on the famous Sermon from the back of a dinosaur.

Was that the sermon where He said
"Verily thou dost praise me when thou doth mock and demean the least among you" ?

I'll bet Obama never heard that one from Rev. Wright.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:42 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

After Obama gets re-elected he will begin putting his own brand on austerity, militarism, and the growing police state. Obama will once again pull the Simpson-Bowles Deficit Reduction Act out of his hat and offer it to the GOP as the grand compromise. Even Nancy Pelosi says she now supports the recommendations of the act, $4 trillion in spending cuts which will eviscerate what is left of the social safety net. "Simpson-Bowles was really Obama's vision all the time," says Pelosi.
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:45 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Yes. This is exactly what Jesus taught on the famous Sermon from the back of a dinosaur.

I love it when progressives cite Jesus with no more idea than a billygoat what they are talking about.

Jesus did NOT preach that we should take a gun and force our neighbor to give to the poor. Not as individuals and not through through government.

He taught that we each individually have an obligation to give to the poor of our time and money. He taught that we have an obligation to give 10% of all our income to charity. He taught that we must do it voluntarily.

A long way from what you seem to be preaching.

How about you. Do you tithe your income? Or do you think that using govt to take from others is the same thing? (You don't have to answer the first part if you think it too nosy.)

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Stella, you still haven't stated on whom you are going to waste your vote. Maybe you'll just sit it out at home. If so, your points are moot.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Stella, you still haven't stated on whom you are going to waste your vote. Maybe you'll just sit it out at home. If so, your points are moot.

I will either vote for a 3rd party candidate, vote for Obama, or sit it out.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Stella, you still haven't stated on whom you are going to waste your vote. Maybe you'll just sit it out at home. If so, your points are moot.

I will either vote for a 3rd party candidate, vote for Obama, or sit it out.

Thanks. I wondered how the independent vote would lean.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government