MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

NuVal: Nutrition Made Easy

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

NuVal: Nutrition Made Easy

Postby pjbogart » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Anyone go grocery shopping at Copp's this weekend? Most of the food items have a little score next to the price tag, O being least healthy, 100 being most healthy. Of course the number doesn't tell you specific nutrition information, but it's a quick and easy way to compare, say, apples, pears and grapes. Did you know that carrots are more nutritious than bacon? I didn't know that. How about that salmon fillets are more nutritious than Van de Kamp's Fish Sticks? Well, they are.

Ok, so maybe that stuff is obvious. Did you know that strawberries and blueberries score a perfect 100? How about that sauerkraut is terrible for you? (I think it was a 4, even worse than the bacon) Even supposedly "healthy" breakfast cereal like Kashi is really pretty weak on nutrition. Nectarines are a 99, and I rarely buy them, but I like them and I think I'll buy them more now. I was always told that iceberg lettuce and celery are pretty worthless, but their scores were decent, though I still stuck with romaine.

I guess I found the scores both interesting and really helpful and I'll be the first on board supporting the big brother fascist liberal health czars when they suggest making this a requirement at grocery stores. I'm not sure how much it changed my shopping, though I skipped the pickles and went back for a couple of cucumbers instead, but I can tell you it didn't hurt my shopping (unless your last name is Claussen).

I hope they adopt Nuval or something similar at Woodman's. I tend to go there when I've got a lot of shopping to do.

http://www.nuval.com
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: NuVal: Nutrition Made Easy

Postby bdog » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Little Debbie is not gonna stand for this.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:30 pm

What was the NuVal score for bacon? If it's, say, 20, can I just eat 5 times as much of it instead of a portion of blueberries or strawberries?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Also, if I'm going to obsess over nutrition, shouldn't I just shop at Whole Foods where everything scores 100?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:33 pm

pjbogart wrote: Did you know that strawberries and blueberries score a perfect 100?

I suppose that comparison is based on the ideal that the compared foods are free from contaminants. Otherwise I'd guess that blueberries are much more healthful, because they don't have the pesticide payload for which industrial strawberries are well known.

But notwithstanding how exceedingly rare real strawberries are, I'd be hard pressed to decide which of the two tastes better.

Taste strawberry (ripe red, tender to the core, bright, and juicy): "Oh yes, this is the best."

But then taste blueberry (ripe blue, tender to the core, bright, and juicy): "Oh yes, this is the best."
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Most of the food items have a little score next to the price tag, O being least healthy, 100 being most healthy.

If you believe those tags, I want to talk to you about a great deal on a bridge.

If nutritionists recommend the wrong food and diets because they don't have a cllue, what do you expect will be useful on a tag?
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:13 pm

fennel wrote:Taste strawberry (ripe red, tender to the core, bright, and juicy): "Oh yes, this is the best."

Were they grown on a local, organic farm? Or were they trucked in from California,where they grown with methyl bromide? The trucking will increase global warming. The methyl bromide will increase the ozone hole.

Are you going to put strawberries on your hamburger instead of pickles? I didn't think so.

You might be considering, what should I put on my ice cream? strawberries or blueberries. But this NuVal thing isn't very helpful, is it.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:13 pm

Ok, imagine that you're a complete moron and know absolutely nothing about nutrition. You're standing in front of the frozen fish display and the frozen salmon is an 87 and the fish sticks are a 12. This is very useful information to some people. Will it change what their kids want to eat? Probably not. But I'm sure they'll notice that everything in the produce section is around 90 and everything in the meat section is around 20. I really couldn't help but wander around looking at the numbers.

The only people this could possibly hurt are the people selling you Teddy Grahams.

Leinenkugel's and Camel Lights were not labeled. I'm pretty sure they're both in the negatives, if there is such a thing, but I bought them anyway.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Sauerkraut gets a 4??!!!!

What kind of Commie site is this?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe