MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Vice Presidency and the path to the White House

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Vice Presidency and the path to the White House

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 am

I saw yesterday where Joe Biden is gearing up for another presidential run in 2016. He claims that being VP positions him well for it.

I've also seen people comment that 8 years as VP for Ryan will leave him well positioned for a run in 2020.

This is not something new. The first election I can really recall as Nixon/JFK in 1960. One of Nixon's strengths was supposedly his VP experience.

We have seen other VPs nominated since, Mondale, Bush, Gore, Ford. Other than Bush, none of them won and Bush could not get re-elected.

Since the founding, we have had 2 sitting vice presidents, Jefferson and Bush, succeed to the presidency. We have had 1 former VP elected president (since 1900) Nixon and look how that worked out.

Since 1900 we have had a 5 VPs become prez on the death of the incumbent (or resignation in Ford's case), None were able to get elected to a second full term. Bush, who did get elected was not able to get re-elected.

In other words, historically, the vice presidency seems to have been a horrible position for those wanting to be president.

Yet we keep hearing this meme year after year after year. I've never been able to understand why.

Anyone have any thoughts?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Vice Presidency and the path to the White House

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:12 am

Well, after Obama drops out, then Biden will be in full force to run for president come this October. That is if the UN doesn't invade the US.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 am

One of my thoughts is: I hope Joe Biden is the Democrats' candidate for president in 2016. That will mean either Obama was reelected and, whad'ya know, things worked out surprisingly well, or Romney will be reelected in a landslide.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:33 am

Stebben84 wrote:Well, after Obama drops out, then Biden will be in full force to run for president come this October. That is if the UN doesn't invade the US.

Yes, as VP he will be the logical candidate. The question is whether he would win.

And if he did, would he win in 2016? Statistically the odds of a 2016 win would be pretty low.

Not even good for a 2012 win. the only other example we have is Ford who lost in 1976.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government