MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Uh oh. Romney's pro-life extremism revealed

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Uh oh. Romney's pro-life extremism revealed

Postby wack wack » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:15 am

Meade wrote:Okay, DCB, completely out of touch? I think a reasonable person would see it as a difference of opinion.

No, completely out of touch is correct.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:25 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Do you object to women having a legal abortion for rape, incest or other pyschological reasons? Please clarify.

Is that sentence missing a couple commas or do you think that rape and incest are psychological reasons?

In any event, could you elaborate? What "psychological reasons" do you have in mind?

And will you not permit an abortion if you do not agree with the psychological reasons the woman wants it? I am guessing no but it is not clear from your words.

Are you OK with a woman aborting a fetus that she suspects (for whatever reason) is will grow up gay?

Are you OK with a woman aborting a boy baby because she wants a girl baby? Or vice versa?

Suppose she has a good reason for wanting a girl baby (maybe she already has 3 sons). Some people say that this would be OK even though they would otherwise prohibit abortion for sex selection.

How say you?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:26 am

As for Stu having the guts to say what he thinks, I'll have to take your word for it, b. As you probably know, I'm a relatively recent immigrant to Madison so I'm still learning about who's who. I've gathered that Stu Levitan has been something of a celebrity in these parts for three decades or so. Would you call him, what, a Madison rock star?

Whatever. The Stu Levitan I know directly is Stu Levitan, the foron, who trades in desperate election day rumors and then tries to weasel his way out of it when his actions are scrutinized.

Want to know a Dem/Prog Wisconsin politician I have respect for?

Fred Risser.

Fred Risser sat across his desk from me and told me squarely he favors raising taxes on Wisconsin citizens. Looked me straight in the eye and said it without apology. I think he was dead wrong but I have complete respect for him as a politician who shoots straight.

Stu Levitan, you sir, are no Fred Risser.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:38 am

Meade wrote:*The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Vilas is that his name wasn’t Henry Vilas.

Not true, Meade. We do know somewhat more about Henry Vilas.

He is or used to be a schoolteacher

He told us he went to an ed school. Someone mentioned that he is now retired. If so, that means he most likely is old enough to have gone to a teacher's college or even a normal school. These were schools for those not up to the academic rigors of a community college. Current ed schools are the dumbed down versions.

He picks the name of a zoo for a screen name.

And we should pay attention to him because...?

Other than his comic stylings, of course.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:53 am

You two really deserve each other!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:10 am

A new law was signed by Arizona Governor Jan Brewer and went into effect on Thursday that has abortion advocates up in arms. The new law, titled Women’s Health and Safety Act deems a woman pregnant 2 weeks before conception.

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-law ... #fc56f1044

How 'bout them apples. I guess it answers our question of when a babies life begins.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:23 am

At first I thought that was another Onion story, especially with the attractive shot of Jan Brewer's wrinkled cleavage.

But no. By law, in Arizona all menstruating women are now pregnant at any and every point in time.
Last edited by snoqueen on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 am

Stebben84 wrote:How 'bout them apples. I guess it answers our question of when a babies life begins.

Did you read the article you linked to? "What do you think? Should gestational age be figured from the first day of the last menstrual cycle or from the date of conception?" "Gestational age" is important because it has to do with determining "viability" - something the Supreme Court is, and Stu Levitan seems to be, concerned with.

What do you think, Stebben84? Should there be a limitation on when a woman can have a legal abortion? And if you believe there should be, at what point in gestation would you place that limit?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:25 am

snoqueen wrote:But no. By law, in Arizona all menstruating women are now pregnant at any point in time.

You don't really understand menstruation, do you?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:28 am

You really don't understand life.

And that's not a question.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:30 am

*Sigh* It's true. You're right. It's life's illusions I recall.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:32 am

snoqueen wrote:You really don't understand life.

And that's not a question.

Come on Sno. Meade's an older man. He knows a hell of a lot more about Women't health than you do. Sheesh.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:37 am

Well I wouldn't go that far. However, I did take a course in Feminist political theory when I was in college back in the 70's. So there is that.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:54 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Do you object to women having a legal abortion for rape, incest or other pyschological reasons? Please clarify.

Is that sentence missing a couple commas or do you think that rape and incest are psychological reasons?

Having an abortion after being raped or being a victim of incest isn't usually for reasons of physical health (unless the victim is very young). The reason for the abortion would be for the pyschological health of the pregnant woman. Don't you agree?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:56 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Having an abortion after being raped or being a victim of incest isn't usually for reasons of physical health (unless the victim is very young).

Thank you, Henry Akin.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government