MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby HawkHead » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Earlier in the year I could have sworn that I remember the Republicans getting all up in arms because Obama was going to have a campaign event in a high school. It was a hot topic for a while and the Fox NN condemned it if I remember correctly.

But Janesville Craig High School was used for the Ryan send off and we hear nothing.

I don't think that either side is wrong in using a public building as long as the proper permits are secured. I am more wondering where the same people who were screaming at Obama were for the Ryan deal.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby Sandi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:04 pm

I don't think that either side is wrong in using a public building as long as the proper permits are secured.


I agree. However I never seen any complaints about Obama's use either.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby HawkHead » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:36 pm

I found this on google in 2 seconds but it deals with Mrs. Obama.

But Republican members of the Miami-Dade school board feigned outrage about it and urged the school board’s attorney to cancel the event because who does the First Lady think she is anyway? “The use of public schools whose only focus should be to educate our children for political gain is downright wrong. Don’t these liberals have boundaries? Our schools are places for learning, not places for politicking,” whined Renier Diaz de la Portilla.

“Allowing the first lady of the United States to use one of our schools explicitly to benefit the president’s reelection campaign is inappropriate and sends the wrong message to our students, employees, and to taxpayers – even if the president’s campaign is willing to pay for all costs resulting from the event,” complained Carlos Curbelo in a letter to the school board’s attorney, Walter Harvey.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby Sandi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:38 pm

But Republican members of the Miami-Dade school board feigned outrage about it and urged the school board’s attorney to cancel the event because who does the First Lady think she is anyway?


The point is moot as well as this thread. There are important issues to discuss without such insignificance.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby HawkHead » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:40 pm

Sandi wrote:
But Republican members of the Miami-Dade school board feigned outrage about it and urged the school board’s attorney to cancel the event because who does the First Lady think she is anyway?


The point is moot as well as this thread. There are important issues to discuss without such insignificance.


Wow, I guess this topic must strike a nerve.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Sandi wrote:
But Republican members of the Miami-Dade school board feigned outrage about it and urged the school board’s attorney to cancel the event because who does the First Lady think she is anyway?


The point is moot as well as this thread. There are important issues to discuss without such insignificance.


Wow, 17 posts in and you know what's best for this forum. Can't wait to join yours...No one ever said.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4813
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby HawkHead » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Wow, 17 posts in and you know what's best for this forum. Can't wait to join yours...No one ever said.


Yeah it's got to suck when you say that didn't happened and someone else on the forum gets a direct quote from the Republican source in 2 minutes.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby Sandi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:58 pm

I didn't say, nor do I know what is best for this forum. That was putting words in my mouth.

I just don't think it matters much whether it was Obama or Ryan who the complaint is against as it doesn't matter to me ( and perhaps most ).
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Sandi wrote: ...it doesn't matter to me.

So you say in your third post on this matter.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19730
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:10 pm

The system says you created the Sandi account in July 2005, and you haven't used it in seven years. And you still remember the password for the account, which would a wonder in itself for most people.

Care to tell us what motivates you to resurrect the Sandi account in August of 2012?

And this forum spends whole days discussing things that don't matter, so what's unusual about that?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11401
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Sandi is another refugee from the failed madison.com forum.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19730
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:36 pm

HawkHead wrote:Earlier in the year I could have sworn that I remember the Republicans getting all up in arms because Obama was going to have a campaign event in a high school.

HawkHead wrote:I found this on google in 2 seconds but it deals with Mrs. Obama.
...But [2] Republican members of the Miami-Dade school board...

When you said "the Republicans" the first time, did you really mean just the few Republicans on the Miami-Dade school board who actually said something about this matter? All of the links I've found about this story only quote the same two school board members named in your quote. How many unique news blurbs qualify as "all up in arms", in your opinion?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby bdog » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Sandi, since you are new please read the rules below courtesy of the Great harrissimo!


harrissimo wrote:Your web forum experience will improve greatly if you keep the following in mind:

Assholes are just trying to get attention. If you ignore them they will go away. I know when I'm being an asshole I go away when I'm ignored.

You will never win an argument here. Don't even try.

You will never have the last word. Don't even try.

Nobody freakin' cares if your feelings get hurt. Don't be a cry baby.

Whatever band you like somebody will think they suck a big dick.

You will contradict yourself and then TheBookPolice or Henry Vilas will search and search until they discover your contradiction and expose you for the hypocrital idiot that you really are. Brace yourself. It's just a matter of time before this will happen.

Party On People!

bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby Sandi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks. Because I needed and deserved that. :oops:

The fact that it has been a bad day elsewhere is no excuse.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Ryan's Use of Janesville High School

Postby TeachInPeace » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Meanwhile, Michelle Obama was at Bradley Tech High School in Milwaukee last week. NBD. Next red herring, plz.
TeachInPeace
Senior Member
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:12 am

Next

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar