MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:43 am

HawkHead wrote:If your current real estate tax rate is too high move to a lower tax rate district.

Okay. And if you don't like the new political reality in Wisconsin, move to Illinois.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:47 am

lukpac wrote:Are K-12 teachers moochers because they don't directly bring in money to school districts? Police officers?

Some were, but not because they didn't bring in money.

Many of those who were moochers have taken early retirement.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:58 am

Meade wrote:Some were, but not because they didn't bring in money.

Many of those who were moochers have taken early retirement.

What does early retirement have to do with anything?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Meade wrote:
HawkHead wrote:If your current real estate tax rate is too high move to a lower tax rate district.

Okay. And if you don't like the new political reality in Wisconsin, move to Illinois.

I could if I wanted to. I choose to live in Wisconsin.

See, that really is the issue isn't it?

As long as Wisconsin stays a great state to raise a family and have a good standard of living I will stay here. When it doesn't we will move. I choose to live in Wisconsin partially becasue of its high tax rate and the wonderful services we enjoy.

As a resident of the state I am allowed to vote for who I want, protest who I want and recall who I want as long as I follow the guidelines in our Constitution.

What I was trying to point out, but apparently you don't want to address with this "sidestepping" of the real issue, is why if the Rs believe in local governmental control of services why can't each school district vote on what it wants and then adjust real estate taxes accordingly. Scott Walker has denied the local governments a way to increase the revenues they bring in thereby taking away the local control he espouses.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Mad Howler wrote:Ling,
I do get what you are talking about. Google our friend Ron John with one of the Koch twins in Tampa. It is kind of a punch to the gut as these guys put the knee jerk pointing to "liberal" think tanks and major donors in a very different light.

Sa la vie?
MH

Ron John is a horrible Senator.

I have a couple of issues I lobby the government on. I sent letters and e-mails to George, Barack, Tammy, Russ and Herb over the last 8 years.

I get back template letters saying we are doing x,y and z about that issue. Not one politian refuses to answer. Tammy actually gave links to update me on current legislation by both parties in her e-mails.

Ron John responded something along the lines of, I am too busy and have too many things on the plate to look at what you are talking about or get one of my staffers to do it like the others above. I was completely miffed.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Ron John responded something along the lines of, I am too busy and have too many things on the plate to look at what you are talking about or get one of my staffers to do it like the others above. I was completely miffed.

It takes a lot of work to go in everyday and mindlessly vote party line.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Here is part of the actual response.

Because of government's intrusion into our lives, there are literally thousands of issues that might be debated in the U.S. Senate. It is impossible for me to have a position on all of them. Should your issue or concern come before the Senate, I will review the correspondence I have received and take your views and opinions into consideration.

Well Senator it has been in front of the Senate for the last 6 years.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Here is some more.

Unfortunately, the federal government has expanded far beyond its enumerated powers. The size, scope, and cost are threatening America's future prosperity. The main reason I ran for office is because we are bankrupting America and mortgaging the future of our children and grandchildren. This continues to be my primary focus and should be the number one issue on everyone's agenda in Washington.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Come on, are those for real?!?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:34 pm

HawkHead wrote:why if the Rs believe in local governmental control of services why can't each school district vote on what it wants and then adjust real estate taxes accordingly. Scott Walker has denied the local governments a way to increase the revenues they bring in thereby taking away the local control he espouses.

Direct answer to the question you accuse me of "sidestepping": Because, unlike Ds, Rs also believe in limiting government at every level - federal, state, and local. Ds believe in continual expansion of government at every level.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Meade wrote:Because, unlike Ds, Rs also believe in limiting government at every level - federal, state, and local.

So they state government is taking more control away from the local government in turn giving the state government more power. This equals more state government interference, not less.

And if it's REALLY what they want, how come people like Paul Ryan are taking stimulus money. Shouldn't they be setting an example or is it just smoke and mirrors.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Meade wrote:
HawkHead wrote:why if the Rs believe in local governmental control of services why can't each school district vote on what it wants and then adjust real estate taxes accordingly. Scott Walker has denied the local governments a way to increase the revenues they bring in thereby taking away the local control he espouses.

Direct answer to the question you accuse me of "sidestepping": Because, unlike Ds, Rs also believe in limiting government at every level - federal, state, and local. Ds believe in continual expansion of government at every level.

Much like religion, Rs believe things that absolutely defy logic and practical application. Ds understand that every level of government MUST grow as the population grows.

In other words, Rs believe things; Ds know things.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:22 pm

wack wack wrote:Come on, are those for real?!?

Those are taken exactly out of the e-mail Ron Johnson sent to me in response to my e-mail.

-----Original Message-----
From: Senator Ron Johnson <no-reply@ronjohnson.senate.gov>
Subject: Responding to your message
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Meade wrote:

I thought it was about local control. Let the people directly involved determine the size of the "government" they wanted. So the Rs are using state powers to "choke" the local governments. How are expanded state powers smaller government?
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:56 pm

HawkHead wrote:How are expanded state powers smaller government?

State powers were not expanded. The state government of Wisconsin has no more power over its people than it did before Act 10 was passed. The people of Wisconsin lost zero constitutional rights against the powers of the state.

The reduction of power was experienced, appropriately, by the disgusting public sector unions who had, in collusion with Democrats and other politicians, for decades, abused their power to apply special statutory rights such as collective bargaining (now, thankfully eliminated) to extort ever-increasing unjustifiable benefits from the subgroup of the people of Wisconsin known as state income tax payers.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government