MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

(Purported planned threat of) Capitol "crackdown"

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: (Purported) Capitol "crackdown"

Postby athabasca » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:19 pm

The situation would be better described by the term Threatened.

Or, Planned.

Contingent upon accuracy being your actual aim in changing the thread title...
athabasca

Re: (Purported planned threat of) Capitol "crackdown"

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:06 pm

How's that?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Definition of purport:
To have or present the often false appearance of being or intending; profess:

Here's another one:
to claim (to be a certain thing, etc.) by manner or appearance, esp falsely
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Mind if we call you "Henry Purporter"? Professor Henry Purporter, creepy guy.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Only if it's creepy to point out that you use words without understanding their meaning.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Meade wrote:
athabasca wrote:[...]the ACLU has a lawsuit ready to go should the crackdown actually occur.

Noted contingency reflected in edited topic title.

Gee, Meade, nothing to say about the rest of athabasca's post, which directly addresses questions you've been asking others?

What a surprise.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:42 pm

minicat wrote:Gee, Meade, nothing to say about the rest of athabasca's post, which directly addresses questions you've been asking others?

What a surprise.

She should link to some evidence for her two-point assertion. Prior restraints on political speech would certainly be a problem, constitutionally.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Only if it's creepy to point out that you use words without understanding their meaning.

Okay, then we'll go with Professor Henry Purporter, pedantic creepy guy.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Capitol crackdown

Postby DCB » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The new Capitol police chief says "name calling" will not be tolerated.

But punching (protesters) is just fine.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Meade wrote:
minicat wrote:Gee, Meade, nothing to say about the rest of athabasca's post, which directly addresses questions you've been asking others?

What a surprise.

She should link to some evidence for her two-point assertion. Prior restraints on political speech would certainly be a problem, constitutionally.

From the Daily Page website, posted December 7, 2011:

New Wisconsin Capitol access policies raise First Amendment concerns

New Wisconsin Department of Administration rules about who can access state facilities and at what cost are riling everyday visitors like the Solidarity Sing Along, who have been holding forth at the Capitol since the winter, and raising constitutional questions.

One provision specifies that permits are needed for groups of four or more who gather at the Capitol or other state facility.

"You obviously have to draw the line somewhere, but four seems like an awfully small group," says Larry Dupuis, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin Foundation. Dupuis and others, including state Rep. Chris Taylor (D-Madison), say the new rules (PDF) are unclear on whether groups that lobby lawmakers at the Capitol need to obtain a permit for that purpose.

Dupuis says the ACLU's major concern centers on the new fees imposed for those seeking permits -- one for securing a permit and another if the state determines more police are needed for an event. Neither has an exception for those who don't have the ability to pay.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Meade wrote:Good point, Jason.: Solidarity Singers = 1965 Bob Dylan

Maybe they could plug in and add Maggie's Dairy Farm to their next sing-a-long session. They could then segue into Like a Rolling Segway Boy followed, finally, by It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It takes a High-Speed Rail Train to Cry.

That would cause Governor Scott "Pete Seeger" Walker to emerge from his office and ax their power cord. Presto - instant statewide sympathy for the corrupt teachers' union!

http://www.news.com.au/national/it-just ... 6283852843

"It just makes me happy when I can make someone angry. It sounds weird but I kind of feed off their anger. The angrier I can get them, the better I feel," he told news.com.au.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Who can forget the time Bob Dylan applied for and received a permit to use electric amplification at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival?

Leading to purist Alan Lomax to pull the plug and get into a fight with Dylan's manager, Albert Grossman.

Lomax did get into a fight with Grossman (during one of Paul Butterfield's sets), but he didn't pull any plugs.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:42 pm

lukpac wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Who can forget the time Bob Dylan applied for and received a permit to use electric amplification at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival?

Leading to purist Alan Lomax to pull the plug and get into a fight with Dylan's manager, Albert Grossman.

Lomax did get into a fight with Grossman (during one of Paul Butterfield's sets), but he didn't pull any plugs.

Yes, that is what the authoritative source says. Great book, btw. But rumors persist.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Only if it's creepy to point out that you use words without understanding their meaning.

Way too soon after your Miscegenation thread Hen.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
New Wisconsin Department of Administration rules about who can access state facilities and at what cost are riling everyday visitors like the Solidarity Sing Along, who have been holding forth at the Capitol since the winter, and raising constitutional questions.

One provision specifies that permits are needed for groups of four or more who gather at the Capitol or other state facility.

"You obviously have to draw the line somewhere, but four seems like an awfully small group," says Larry Dupuis, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin Foundation. Dupuis and others, including state Rep. Chris Taylor (D-Madison), say the new rules (PDF) are unclear on whether groups that lobby lawmakers at the Capitol need to obtain a permit for that purpose.

Dupuis says the ACLU's major concern centers on the new fees imposed for those seeking permits -- one for securing a permit and another if the state determines more police are needed for an event. Neither has an exception for those who don't have the ability to pay.

I know, I know - the Supreme Court has roundly rejected prior restraint:
Waitress: Could you please keep your voices down--this is a family restaurant.
Walter: Oh, please dear! I've got news for you: the Supreme Court has roundly rejected prior restraint!
Dude: Walter, this isn't a First Amendment thing.
Waitress: Sir, if you don't calm down I'm going to have to ask you to leave.
Walter: Lady, I got buddies who died face-down in the muck so you and I could enjoy this family restaurant!
Dude: All right, I'm leaving. I'm sorry ma'am.
Walter: Don't run away from this, Dude! Goddamnit, this affects all of us!... Our basic freedoms!... I'm staying. Finishing my coffee... Finishing my coffee.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government