MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Politics of Beer

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

The Politics of Beer

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm sure you all remember the beer summit and the last few weeks we've seen trickling stories about a specially brewed White House beer, a rather unusual topic of conversation during a Presidential race. So the President sat down and answered some questions on Reddit, presumably another effort to reach out to the younger generation, and promised that the White House will release their beer recipe soon.

So, is Obama simply playing up his "regular guy" status or is this a not-so-sinister dog whistle in pointing out that Mitt Romney, as a Mormon, is forbidden to drink alcohol?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Politics of Beer

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:28 pm

Well, since Mormons are also forbidden to drink coffee if Obama starts mentioning his special White House blend then you'll have your answer.

Or if he brags about his ability to consume scalding hot soup.

Or if he comments on all the room he has in the White House basement because he doesn't have to keep a year's worth of food handy.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Wow. That strikes me as altogether too fanciful to have occurred to you without prompting. Are you working from a punch list? And is this the best it had to offer?

Have you not noticed there's been a growing interest in the Craft Beer movement over the last 30 years and that, perhaps many of those most engaged with that movement don't typically lie within the GOP demographic? (But may cross over.)

I mean, imagine enjoying a beer that no major corporation had even thought of. That's subversive in Willard's World.

Romney's beer would be Coors N.A. He would drink it from Waterford Crystal, naturally, while wearing thin white gloves that he borrowed from his wife's dressage retinue.
Last edited by fennel on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 pm

fennel wrote:Wow. That strikes me as altogether too fanciful to have occurred to you without prompting. Are you working from a punch list? And is the best it had to offer?

Yeah, you got me. I'm a secret Republican operative pushing talking points. Like that Mitt Romney is a fucking douchebag who took a $100k tax credit for his dancing fucking horse. Douche.

Or that he appointed Eddie Munster as his running mate, a brain dead Ken doll who thinks that Ayn Rand is some sort of genius even after he paid for college with the social security money that he got when his father died.

Those kinds of talking points?

No, I'm serious. Will the Obama camp use dog whistle politics to point to Romney's quirky religion? Is the bizarre talk about White House beer simply an effort to paint himself as a regular guy, or is there some calculation that it reminds people that Mitt Romney is a Mormon who doesn't drink beer (or coffee)?

And hey, I think Obama would be hilarious complimenting some small town diner owner on her delicious coffee. "It's delicious... someone told me that Mitch didn't like it." Rimshot.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:03 pm

OK, let's just say, then, that you are fanciful indeed. But "Dog whistle??" (As if those who might listen to the president have a Pavlovian response to reason.)

But there's really no need to malign Eddie Munster. He never tried to conceal his true intentions.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Obama, I think, has never felt uneasy being himself. He may have had an intellectual and emotional struggle coming to terms with his racial identity and his mother's priorities, but he's never pretended to be anything but a regular guy who likes a beer now and then. If it gets him a few votes from the beer drinking crowd, it might lose him some votes from the temperance types.

I think Romney's problem is that he seemingly can't be himself. He's fake, and that has nothing to do with drinking or not drinking a beer. While Obama was both an athlete and a stoner in high school, Romney was a spoiled, rich kid who bullied someone he suspected of being gay. Obama honestly confesses his stoner past, while Romney "forgets" about his past bullying. Romney is a the guy you stayed away from in high school. Obama is the guy you wanted to get to know.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:54 pm

fennel wrote:OK, let's just say, then, that you are fanciful indeed. But "Dog whistle??" (As if those who might listen to the president have a Pavlovian response to reason.)

But there's really no need to malign Eddie Munster. He never tried to conceal his true intentions.

By "dog whistle" I mean that you're saying something without really saying it. You don't come out and say, "Hey, this kook is a Mormon!" You say things that might remind people that he's a Mormon, similar to how Republicans accidentally remind people that Obama is black and has a Muslim sounding name.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government