MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Brett Hulsey Story...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

The Brett Hulsey Story...

Postby SlayerDave » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:37 pm

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... 11ccfbb095

Hilarious.

(Or creepy?). One of the two.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Re: The Brett Hulsey Story...

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Not hilarious. Not even funny.

Did he have children of his own playing in the water? That might mitigate things.

But he needs to give a full and honest explanation to those of us in the district he represents. This is not the first time Hulsey has behaved in ways that do not inspire trust: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Brett Hulsey faced down the angry mob converging on Glenn Grothman during the Capitol protests.

He's an honorable man.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Verdict: creepy.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:26 pm

An "honorable man" who, by coincidence, was at a door Grothman was trying to enter just as peaceable assemblers were petitioning Senator Grothman with threats of violence. Nothing Hulsey did protected the senator from the mob. An "honorable man" should know better than to take photos of other people's children without the consent of those parents. It's 2012, honorable man. Think!

Brett Hulsey is an "honorable man" who has some explaining to do.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:02 pm

rrnate wrote:Verdict: creepy.

ditto. Men, it sucks, but you have to use the School Teacher rule these days. "No physical, or verbal contact with minors that could be construed by any interpretation as inappropriate. No matter how innocent it might be. Always have a witness or witnesses present. Never allow yourself to be left alone with a child."

Is it a double standard for Men around kids? Yup. Deal with it and don't put yourself in the situation.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:13 pm

A few years ago I was walking the dog during a snowstorm. I pass this house where a little kid with best of intentions is cleaning snow off the car in the driveway - with a metal shovel. Just beatin the hell out of the car.

I stopped for a couple seconds, thought better of it and kept going.

Later I ran it by a female friend. We both agreed she could have said something but not me.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:23 pm

bdog wrote:We both agreed she could have said something but not me.

That's just absurd.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Must have been some pretty damned dangerous splashing to get concerned citizen Hulsey involved in the 1st place.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:16 pm

jman111 wrote:
bdog wrote:We both agreed she could have said something but not me.

That's just absurd.

You disagree with Endo's school teacher rule then.

Best of luck with that in your future endeavors.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 pm

RE: The School Teacher Rule:

I think it was about four years ago that I was sitting in my house on my day off, presumably playing a video game or something and I heard a kid crying outside. I looked out my back door and saw a little girl bawling her head off, she had climbed the steps and presumably fallen down a few because she had bright red scrapes on both her hands, not quite bleeding, but pretty close. She was probably only two years old or so, obviously very frightened and couldn't tell me where she lived so I called the police.

But as Endo points out, there was no way I was bringing that girl into my house. I sat on the curb and waited for the police, a woman who was out walking stopped by and I asked her if she'd ever seen the girl before. The woman offered to take the girl, who was wrapped around my neck like I was a life preserver and I had no problem with that but the girl started crying when I tried to pass the buck. I'm not going to lie, I was very aware that a middle aged, single guy who lived alone carrying around a child that wasn't his looked very bad and I was already concerned about how the police would react.

The police took probably about five minutes to arrive and the girl cried when they tried to take her too, so one of them stayed with me and the others started knocking on doors. Turns out the little girl had wandered off while her mother was in the shower and lived about two blocks away. They ran my driver's license and fortunately I've never been arrested for anything, not even boisterous protesting or a DUI.

Now, can you imagine if that child had been abused in some way before I found her? I would have been cuffed, booked, anally probed, my house would have been turned upside down, my copy of "The Professional" taken as evidence, DNA tested, had my picture in the paper and forced to move to a different city because even after I was cleared I'd still be "that guy that abducted that little girl." And that would be just for doing the right thing and helping a lost little girl.

What could I have done differently?

But yeah, Brett Hulsey sounds like a creep.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Peej, your story was interesting and scary to read, but I'm a little surprised that you basically shelved that personal experience at the edge of undeserved eternal pervdom and went ahead and denounced Hulsey anyway. To be clear, you did the right thing, but the fact that doing the right thing involves so much risk for you indicates that there is some problem with the system that needs to be addressed. How much further into political correctness and paranoia do need to we go? At some point, a well-meaning bachelor like yourself is going to just close the curtains on a little girl who accidentally winds up on his porch. It won't be worth the risk to try to help.

My opinion is mixed on this one. I think it's entirely possible that the inner-tube kid was being a little dipshit to other people and Hulsey intervened the way an adult should in such a situation (admittedly in an awkward manner, with the whole "boo" thing). Perhaps Hulsey even recognized that a 'proper' intervention (perhaps, grabbing the kid's wrist and saying "Stop it now") would be negatively perceived by some helicopter parents, but he wasn't able to rescind all way back into completely ignoring the entire situation.

I'm not a parent, so I have very little experience in such matters, so I'll gladly defer to others who have more experience and wisdom.

This blog seems worthwhile to mention in this thread: Free Range Kids
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:27 am

PJ, your story is nothing like Brett Hulsey's. It was cowardly of you not to immediately take that frightened little neighbor girl directly to the police station. People who behave as you did are being part of the problem, not the solution.

Man up, dude.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:41 am

I don't see how it makes much practical difference whether pjbogart called the police or took the girl to a police station. And I don't see what cowardice has to do with it. Why make personal attacks?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:40 am

Kenneth Burns wrote: Why make personal attacks?

Did you type that with a straight face?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government