MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 12.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

What's Meade's problem?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

What's Meade's problem?

Postby Neade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:50 pm

Neade

Re: What's Meade's problem?

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:26 pm

His problems got problems!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:46 pm

Meade makes my stomach sick to the stomach.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:59 am

So why doesn't everyone just put him on their "foe" list and be done with it? I'll tell you why...
because you guys like Meade.
You need Meade.
You would be so bored without him.
Am I wrong?
If so, then put him on your ignore list and stop giving him so much of your energy.
It's like when the white power guys come hold a rally at the capitol. The real idiots are the people that hold the counter-rally.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 am

Dairylander wrote:It's like when the white power guys come hold a rally at the capitol. The real idiots are the people that hold the counter-rally.

No, actually it's not like that at all, but I understand your analogy. First off, I do have Meade on ignore, but enough people don't that you really can't avoid his presence. I guess if everyone put Meade on ignore then we wouldn't have the issue, but as you point out, some people probably find bickering with him entertaining.

As to the white power folks, assuming you aren't talking about employees from MG&E, showing up to oppose them is a show of solidarity with those people who they seek to intimidate. It's more or less a way of saying, "go home, your message does not reflect the values of our community". The proof is in the numbers.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:49 am

pjbogart wrote:As to the white power folks, showing up to oppose them is a show of solidarity with those people who they seek to intimidate.

This well-intentioned effort has the opposite effect.
That's exactly what the white power people want - a big crowd to show up.
If no one like you went, the media wouldn't cover it.
When a bigot falls in the woods no one hears it.
Analogously, if Meade spouted and no one reacted, TDPF would be a less toxic place.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am

I'm on board with ignoring him. I think this tack was effective with Cornhole.

It's true, though, there are some who can not NOT engage. I have engaged, true, but I am capable of not.

I do think Meade's a master craftsman of trollery. He plays this board like the Pied Piper.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:58 am

pjbogart wrote:Meade makes my stomach sick to the stomach.

Can I help?
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:19 pm

massimo wrote:I'm on board with ignoring him. I think this tack was effective with Cornhole.

It's true, though, there are some who can not NOT engage. I have engaged, true, but I am capable of not.

I do think Meade's a master craftsman of trollery. He plays this board like the Pied Piper.

No, that is not quite how it went down. Pain du Maize pushed it a bit too far and now finds itself on a very short leash. Although I still catch of wiff of something akin to DMSO around here on occasion.

As far as Lawrence goes I have only this to say: "haters are going to hate". I wish I could remember who to attribute that to, but I read it here.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:25 am

Do you guys want to do the ignore thing again? I'll go along with something approaching a consensus, but I admit Laurence provides such a ridiculously wide target I end up posting stuff to counter what he says and when I do it feels worthwhile. In the bigger picture, though, it might not be in the best interest of the forum as a whole, and that takes precedence over whatever one person (in this case, me) thinks she has to say.

The ignoring thing brought a degree of relief to the reading experience of those who implemented it, but I don't think it ultimately brought about the squelching of Cbread's postings. Admin was the only one with the power to do that, as it was amply clear C was going to continue spamming the board regardless of what anyone said. According to Jason, something she wrote was so wildly homophobic he finally pulled the plug, but it's hard to tell why those particular posts did the job when hundreds of earlier ones didn't, as they were deleted.

Whether Laurence will hit that mysterious sweet spot at some point is anybody's guess, since I've been unable to detect what exactly the tripwire is. Meanwhile, is it ignore, or should we keep engaging with this depravity?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:28 am

I now vote ignore.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:32 am

snoqueen wrote:Meanwhile, is it ignore, or should we keep engaging with this depravity?

I vote for ignore. Engaging with your depravity is still depraved engaging. So, yeah - let's go with the bliss of ignorance.

Your friend,
Laurence
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I now vote ignore.

Ignore sounds fine to me, though I'll miss the easy shots Larry's stupidity and cupidity encourage. In fact I see only two problems with ignoring the cute little ideologue:

1. Li'l Larry posts so frequently--it is his only full-time job after all--that all of the notices that the post not being displayed is from Meade create unsightly holes in the Forum's flow. But that's just aesthetics.

2. I'd still like to know what kind of influence Larry has over the admin. Jason isn't shy about talking back and taking to task posters who get needlessly personal or just plain off-point with each other, yet he chides others for doing so with Larry but never--or at least less frequently--takes Larry to task for ad hominem ranting and name-calling. Compare his treatment of Larry to his treatment of Blaska. What is it about Larry that forestalls criticism? Could be as simple as Larry's legal team being entirely pro bono while the Isthmus at least has to pay retainers to their's. Continuing to enjoy Larry's tomfoolery seems vital to answering these pressing if trivial questions.

Ah, hell, it's football season. Time to spend more time watching my mercenaries beat the whey out of your mercenaries rather than tracking the electronic ravings of an online loon.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:03 am

The "ignore Meade" movement has failed too many times, perhaps forons simply need a two step process. How about we agree not to ever, ever quote Meade? Respond to him if you must, but do not quote him. Chide any posters who do.

As to the legal threats, Sno talked about this a bit but I really don't buy it. A law professor is not legal counsel. The study of law, teaching of law and practice of law are dramatically different. I wouldn't doubt that Meade likes to toss around threats, but Ann Althouse has better things to do with her time. Like put food on Meade's table.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com