MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

(Purported planned threat of) Capitol "crackdown"

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: (Purported planned threat of) Capitol "crackdown"

Postby ryanj0 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:25 pm

So you're done posing as a protester at Palermo's protests Lawrence?? Well here's a few rulings to nibble on... Unfortunately for you the courts have allowed the 1st Amendment to be extremely broad... Got a problem with it? You'll have to change several Supreme Court rulings...

Perry Education Assoc. v. Perry Local Educators' Assoc., supreme court ruling:

"Although a state is not required to indefinitely retain the open character of the facility, as long as it does so it is bound by the same standards as apply in a traditional public forum"

"Government has only a limited ability to regulate expressive activity in traditional and designated public forums. Any content-based exclusion of speech in such forums is subject to strict scrutiny, meaning that the government must show the exclusion "is necessary to serve a compelling state interest and that it is narrowly drawn to achieve that end""

"Government may enforce reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions provided they are content neutral, they are narrowly tailored to serve a significant government interest, and ample alternative channels of communication exist"

Berger v. City of Seattle, 569 F.3d 1029(9th Cir.2009 in this one the court disapproved of the government's "registration system that govern [ed] speech in a public forum and applie [d] to groups as small as a single individual performing without an audience"

"The presumptive invalidity and offensiveness of advance notice and permitting requirements stem from the significant burden that they place on free speech"

Long Beach Area Peace Network v. City of Long Beach 574 F.3d 1011, 1034 (9th Cir.2009): "Advance notice and permitting requirements applicable to groups smaller than 75 people would likely be unconstitutional, unless such uses [of public property] implicated other significant governmental interests, or where the public space in question was so small that even a relatively small number of people could pose a problem of regulating competing uses."

I can provide more if you want... 98% of what I have done, contrary to popular belief, has been within these limits... Then again I guess it's like Planned Parenthood, everyone focuses on the 3% they disagree with... But I do know my 1st Amendment...
ryanj0

Postby Meade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:33 pm

ryanj0 wrote:But I do know my 1st Amendment...

Oh I know you do, Jeremy. Keep on pushing. Don't ever give up. Get it all on video. YouTube. The whole world is still watching.

We will always be watching.

After all, who knows better than you do the desperate urgency and purity of your cause?

What is your cause again?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:43 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:40 am

"harassment" ?? Are angry mobs of protesters still harassing people like Senator Grothman? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EP4t7ydSLc
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:53 am

I love Erwin's flawed logic.

"The Capitol is a place to freely express our opinion and petition the government, but it is also a place of business," Erwin wrote. "No mother, daughter, sister, son, brother or husband should be treated in this manner at their workplace. It is harassment and it will be cited."

Isn't the job of our elected officals to listen to their constituents? Isn't part of the expectation of running for public office that you are going to have to deal with the public outcry on issues?

Politics is necessarily a very public profession. There needs to be open access to meetings and votes to make sure that all representatives are held accountible.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:04 am

HawkHead wrote:There needs to be open access to meetings and votes to make sure that all representatives are held accountible. [sic]

As an accountable certified public accountant, HawkHead should know about accountability.

I remember trying to get in to see my assemblyman, Brett Hulsey, during the height of the Uprising. Couldn't do it - he was too busy being part of the Uprising. One day, I waited in his office antechamber for over two hours while he met privately with professional lobbyists. When he finally came out, he told me he had a "beef with me" and didn't have time to meet with me. After Ann Althouse blogged about that, he had his chief of staff email me and invite me in for a meeting. He was super nice.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:15 am

Meade wrote:I remember trying to get in to see my assemblyman, Brett Hulsey, during the height of the Uprising. Couldn't do it - he was too busy being part of the Uprising. One day, I waited in his office antechamber for over two hours while he met privately with professional lobbyists. When he finally came out, he told me he had a "beef with me" and didn't have time to meet with me. After Ann Althouse blogged about that, he had his chief of staff email me and invite me in for a meeting. He was super nice.

You got me there. One point for Meade for catching my mistake.

See I couldn't even get the right part of your quote. Everyone please look above to see my mistake.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:36 am

You know I like you, HawkHead. And the Rule of Being Boringly Pedantic says I will soon make a proofreading error of my one.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:46 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government