MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Koch Brother on gay marriage, taxes, defense cuts

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Koch Brother on gay marriage, taxes, defense cuts

Postby Meade » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:14 am

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Koch Brother on gay marriage, taxes, defense cuts

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:24 am

Meade my friend...this is a prime example of "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks."

If he's not putting his money down to back his "Socially Liberal beliefs," then here doesn't really "believe" in them.

End of story. You don't fund someone you are morally (in the strictest sense) opposed to.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:43 am

Endo, my friendo... when did you become the new moral majority?

It's not about morality. It's about policy, politics, and economics.

It's the economy, Endo. We either all prosper together, with President Romney or we all go bankrupt together with a reelected President Obama. I say - give Mitt a chance. Four years. Just as we gave Obama a chance four years ago. If he fails, we fire him.

Your guys can run Obama again in 2016 if Romney craps out, and we'll take another look at BO. Right now it's time for change and hope.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Meade wrote:Endo, my friendo... when did you become the new moral majority?

It's not about morality. It's about policy, politics, and economics.

It's the economy, Endo. We either all prosper together, with President Romney or we all go bankrupt together with a reelected President Obama. I say - give Mitt a chance. Four years. Just as we gave Obama a chance four years ago. If he fails, we fire him.

Your guys can run Obama again in 2016 if Romney craps out, and we'll take another look at BO. Right now it's time for change and hope.

Well there's the rub in the nutshell. Meade believes that there is a greater good that will come from Romney/Ryan. That greater good is an economy that is weighted to favor families who make over $250,000 a year, policies that impede on a woman's body and health, and politics that endorse and reward corporate sponsorship and the strictest partisan loyalty.

Yes Meade. We differ. And I am not "the new moral majority." I simply hold to the belief that my right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness should not come at the expense of my fellow citizen.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:24 pm

I think not too many mental calisthenics are required to make the case that supporting gay marriage is a conservative value. It's about families, stronger families.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:24 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote: I simply hold to the belief that my right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness should not come at the expense of my fellow citizen.

-Dan Motor

So, then we agree. When can we start winding down all the transfer payments and income redistribution schemes based on the whims of the Federal Government?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:30 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote: I simply hold to the belief that my right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness should not come at the expense of my fellow citizen.

-Dan Motor

So, then we agree. When can we start winding down all the transfer payments and income redistribution schemes based on the whims of the Federal Government?

Ned I'll give you a chance before I respond. Expand and explain your thought here, because you're building a very pretty glass house.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:32 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I think not too many mental calisthenics are required to make the case that supporting gay marriage is a conservative value. It's about families, stronger families.

...or how it would help the economy. I've seen a very solid case made.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:51 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:If he's not putting his money down to back his "Socially Liberal beliefs," then here doesn't really "believe" in them.

End of story. You don't fund someone you are morally (in the strictest sense) opposed to.
-Dan Motor

So why is Koch Industries in bed with Occupy Wall Street? Why does www.owsgeneralassembly.org take you to the Koch Careers page?

Seems like they are reaching out to hire young socially conscious people.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:33 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:If he's not putting his money down to back his "Socially Liberal beliefs," then here doesn't really "believe" in them.

-Dan Motor

So why is Koch Industries in bed with Occupy Wall Street? Why does http://www.owsgeneralassembly.org take you to the Koch Careers page?

Seems like they are reaching out to hire young socially conscious people.

John Henry

John,
Thanks for picking up on this. I don't follow DN! throughout the year, but Bob Fst is coming. So I thought Amy G's pass here interesting...
http://www.democracynow.org/2012/8/31/a ... _gop_donor

By the way, their coverage is pretty insightful if not fragile.
MH

BTW- Meade, the politico piece covered quite a bit of ground. What exactly do YOU agree with David about?

Also (regarding another thead), if true, you did a very honorable thing for your friend dispatched to Fallujah. I like to think I would have done the same given the opportunity, it's sad how easily disconnected we are from those who this work.
Last edited by Mad Howler on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:54 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:So why is Koch Industries in bed with Occupy Wall Street? Why does http://www.owsgeneralassembly.org take you to the Koch Careers page?

How do you function in business when you're credulous as hell?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:51 am

Mad Howler wrote:BTW- Meade, the politico piece covered quite a bit of ground. What exactly do YOU agree with David about?

Everything in that article.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:41 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:I think not too many mental calisthenics are required to make the case that supporting gay marriage is a conservative value. It's about families, stronger families.

If two parents of any gender create a stronger family than just one parent of any gender, what happens when you go to three or more parents of any gender? Even stronger family? Where does this social welfare function find a maximum along the parent axis? I don't have a problem with letting people try it and finding out.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:48 am

Koch has supported (with money) Cato Institute and Reason Foundation for decades. Both of which were far ahead of the liberal/Dem mainstream in calling for equal marriage rights.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:49 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:Ned I'll give you a chance before I respond. Expand and explain your thought here, because you're building a very pretty glass house.
I guess Ned took a pass on this one. Go ahead, I'm waiting to read your response.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government