MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Koch Brother on gay marriage, taxes, defense cuts

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Koch Brother on gay marriage, taxes, defense cuts

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:44 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:If two parents of any gender create a stronger family than just one parent of any gender, what happens when you go to three or more parents of any gender? Even stronger family? Where does this social welfare function find a maximum along the parent axis? I don't have a problem with letting people try it and finding out.

I don't see much point in debating polygamy given that there is no serious effort to legitimize it, certainly nothing to compare with the sweeping mainstream movement to legalize gay marriage. People who bring up polygamy as an argument against gay marriage either are playing games or they're particularly cynical. Folks in the latter camp are also the ones who invoke the heinous bestiality canard.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I don't see much point in debating polygamy given that there is no serious effort to legalize it, certainly nothing to compare with the sweeping mainstream movement to legalize gay marriage. People who bring up polygamy as an argument against gay marriage either are playing games or they're particularly cynical. Folks in the latter camp are also the ones who invoke the heinous bestiality canard.

Well said.

And I would submit to you that the "folks in the latter camp" are found in far greater numbers in the Democratic Party than the Republican. Their bigotry is covert, closeted, concealed, and sometimes latent. And that is why it is particularly dangerous.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Meade, you are making things up again. Then why aren't gay Republican officer holders/office seekers out of the closet?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:07 pm

I can't think when I've heard any prominent politicians except Republicans -- Rick Santorum, Rebecca Kleefisch, etc. -- invoke the heinous bestiality canard.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:etc.

ArturoBandini is a Republican?

Maybe so. But here is my point: To the extent it exists, Republicans' bigotry tends to be overtly expressed. Their tolerance tends to be quiet, modest, but widespread. Converesly, Democrat's bigotry tends to be hidden, repressed, widespread and virulent.

They are the first to cry racism, sexism, agism, etc. - the last to see it in themselves. Two examples: Joe Biden, vice president of the United States. And Jesse Jackson, civil rights activist.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Meade wrote:Maybe so. But here is my point: To the extent it exists, Republicans' bigotry tends to be overtly expressed. Their tolerance tends to be quiet, modest, but widespread. Converesly, Democrat's bigotry tends to be hidden, repressed, widespread and virulent.

Vote Republican - we do bigotry better.

An example of quiet, modest, widespread bigotry:

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:57 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I don't see much point in debating polygamy given that there is no serious effort to legitimize it, certainly nothing to compare with the sweeping mainstream movement to legalize gay marriage. People who bring up polygamy as an argument against gay marriage either are playing games or they're particularly cynical. Folks in the latter camp are also the ones who invoke the heinous bestiality canard.
I was rather using gay marriage (which is entirely legitimate and should be immediately legalized) as an argument for polygamy. As far as I'm concerned, people should be able to do whatever they voluntarily choose to do regarding their 'family', including polygamy or whatever other family structure they choose.

Bestiality is more problematic because it's harder to know whether a nonhuman animal can consent. If they consent could established, then I don't really have any problem there either.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:00 pm

acereraser wrote:An example of quiet, modest, widespread bigotry:

Obviously, your example is overt and rare. Your posting it makes my point.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Meade wrote:
acereraser wrote:An example of quiet, modest, widespread bigotry:

Obviously, your example is overt and rare. Your posting it makes my point.

That's the way to feed the animals, Meade.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:54 pm

Meade wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:BTW- Meade, the politico piece covered quite a bit of ground. What exactly do YOU agree with David about?

Everything in that article.

Duly noted, I'm sure this narrative will surface again. Thanks for clarifying your position.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government