MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Brushes With Greatness

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Brushes With Greatness

Postby msnflyer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Way back in the olden days I was a cafeteria worker at the Union. At dinner service a talllllllll customer went thru the line. It was Lew Alcindor before he became Kareem Abdul Jabaar (spelling may not be correct.)
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:08 pm

narcoleptish wrote:No offense to your friend.

A Marine offended by your candy-ass cynicism? Why would he bother?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:21 pm

Meade wrote: Why...bother?

My thoughts exactly.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby surroundedbyreality » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:40 am

In 1995 as a part time limo driver I got to drive Muhammad Ali from the West side to the airport. What a nice guy, let us take pictures and gave us autographs.
surroundedbyreality

Postby david cohen » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:04 pm

I was just reminded of another brush with greatness that was totally lost on me at the time. It was the first week of 1990 and my wife and I were honeymooning on the charming Leeward island of St. Kitts at a small inn aptly named The Golden Lemon. It was an old sugar plantation that had been remodeled by Arthur Leaman, House & Garden's former editor, and was a refuge within a refuge, of sorts. Arthur introduced my wife and I to some of the other guests one morning over coffee and an older man very courteously invited us to his adjacent villa for some drinks prior to dinner that evening. Joey greeted us warmly at the door and gave us a tour of his rather quaint but stunning "beach home"- amazing views of the island, the black volcanic beach, the ocean, gorgeous art, etc. We talked New York, Westchester County, travel, music and comedy. This guy was a sketch! Whence we had returned stateside, we saw an old rerun of Laugh In and it hit us: Joey was, in fact, Joey Bishop.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:02 am

Had Francis Ford Coppola in my Union Cab in 1980, the night he produced Jerry Brown's disastrous campaign event at the State Capitol. When I went up to his room at the Park to wait while they were getting the plane ready at Four Lakes, Bill Graham was there. When we got to the airport, I asked Coppola what the ending of Apocalypse Now meant. He asked whether I saw the 35mm or 70mm version, I said 35. He thought a minute, said, "yeah, pretty explosive ending, huh?" Gave me a $50 on what was probably a $10 fare, told me to keep the change.

In 1978 or so, I played second base on Jimmy Buffett's team in a softball game against the White House. Also dated one of his background singers.

About that same time, I had an interesting conversation with President Carter about drug use by White House staff, backstage at a Willie Nelson concert.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:17 am

I went to high school with Imani Coppola, and undergrad with Christian Van Horn (though I'm not sure if anyone knows who either of them are).
beenie
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Catch All