MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Texas Preparing for Civil War

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Texas Preparing for Civil War

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:08 pm

re the judge:

I was listening to the No Agenda Show podcast www.seanhannity.com today and Adam Curry, who lives in Austin, was discussing it.

This whole thing is about a 1.7 cent increase in the city or county tax. (Don't ask, I don't know what tax) The Judge was making a speech claiming that if they did not get the increase, other counties would poach Lubbock's DAs.

And then he apparently went completely nuts saying the UN would invade if the increase was not approved.

The sheriff is onboard because he wants to hire 7 more deputies with the money from the tax increase.

I am not sure if this explanation makes the story less crazy or more crazy. Either way, it is still plenty crazy.

Here is a link to an article that explains what happened:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs ... m_head.php

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:54 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:I was listening to the No Agenda Show podcast http://www.seanhannity.com today...

That, right there, means I should never again read anything you type.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:14 am

The Secretary General of the UN's office weighs in on this grave and serious debate:

"It's absolutely ridiculous," said U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's spokesman, Martin Nesirky, when asked if the United Nations had any plans to invade Texas.

He later added: "No one, not even the United Nations, would ever mess with Texas."

Hah! UN snark! Fuckin' liberals.

U.N. to invade Texas? "Ridiculous," says world body

But as John Henry points out, this entire story is just crazy. What you should be worried about is the the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration rounding up and killing climate change deniers. A few hours of careful research on The Drudge Report and Seanhannity.com will prove beyond any reasonable doubt that jack-booted thugs from the Weather Channel are preparing concentration camps for anyone who dares question their forecasts.

UN troops invading Lubbock, Texas? Crazy. Al Roker bursting through my door, shooting my dog and putting me in handcuffs. Perfectly reasonable.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:56 am

ilikebeans wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:I was listening to the No Agenda Show podcast http://www.seanhannity.com today...

That, right there, means I should never again read anything you type.

Pavlov was able to train dogs to salivate when they heard a bell.

This is even easier. I don't even have to train Nemo here. S/he/it seems to be self trained. All I need do is type the magic word H****ty to get him/her/it drooling all over the keyboard.

Here's a hint, Beansie. www.seanhannity.com has nothing at all to do with Sean H****ty. It is owned by a guy in Georgia very much to H****y's annoyance. It is one of about 1500 URLs that redirect to www.noagendashow.com

Enjoy the ride.

John Henry

PS-I redacted the spelling to try to save your keyboard.
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:00 am

pjbogart wrote:John, have you ever had a psychological examination for paranoia

Not that I know of thought I did undergo a bunch of psycho tests when I joined the Navy in 67. They seemed to find me sane enough.

I hardly need a shrink to tell me I am paranoid. I am. I know I am.

My real question is whether I am paranoid enough.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:39 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Social Security Admin is buying 174,000 hollow point rounds
These are all hollow point which are forbidden by the Geneva Convention. In other words, our military would be forbidden by US and International law to use them outside the US.

So who do these agencies intend to be shooting?

John Henry

CNN finally addresses JH's grave concern.
"These investigators have full law enforcement authority, including executing search warrants and making arrests," the agency said in an August post. "Our investigators are similar to your state or local police officers. They use traditional investigative techniques, and they are armed when on official duty."

Hollow point bullets are standard-issue items for many police agencies, the Social Security Administration said. The bullets expand when they hit a target and can help prevent injuries to bystanders from bullets passing through a body, according to police.

This is just the latest in a long history of uniquely American anti-government conspiracy theories, said Kathryn Olmsted, a University of California at Davis history professor and author of "Real Enemies: Conspiracy Theories in American Democracy."

That another one would surface in the midst of a contentious election cycle and continued unease over the nation's financial future is not all that surprising, Olmsted said Tuesday.

But this one, she said, seems particularly tenuous.

"It strikes me as one of the more extreme conspiracy theories," Olmsted said. "I'm surprised it has any traction."

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:53 am

jman111 wrote:CNN finally addresses JH's grave concern.
"These investigators have full law enforcement authority, including executing search warrants and making arrests," the agency said in an August post.

I don't know that I ever posted that I had "grave concerns" about this. More like wonder at the total amount of ammo being purchased by the feds and questions as to why they need so much.

I did later find out about hollow points so was wrong on that.

I think I even posted a link to the SS statement about why they are buying so much ammo.

You might have selected a bit more to clip from the CNN article, though. If you read down, it says that these 174,000 rounds are being purchased for 295 enforcement officers. If I remember how to do math, this is almost 600 rounds per officer.

Seems like a lot of rounds to me. Is this a normal order quantity? I have no idea.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:00 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:You might have selected a bit more to clip from the CNN article, though. If you read down, it says that these 174,000 rounds are being purchased for 295 enforcement officers. If I remember how to do math, this is almost 600 rounds per officer.

Seems like a lot of rounds to me. Is this a normal order quantity? I have no idea.

Well, if you're going to ask an accountant to carry a firearm, you better send him to the shooting range.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:45 am

If I was about to fight in a civil war, 600 bullets would seem a bit low for year's worth of gunfights.

The Obama years have been best sales years the gun shops have ever had. There's hundreds of thousands of assault rifles out there with thousands of rounds for each of them.

And they're giving me 600 hollow points? Jeez. I'd feel very expendable.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:53 am

Far be it from me to defend most of the arguments from gun owners, but I don't think 600 rounds is a lot. I participated in Cowboy Action Shooting for a few years; a few matches per month, that was the only shooting I did and I usually had more than 600 rounds in my bag.

Is 600 rounds more than one needs to do whatever one will do with a gun? Maybe. It is it well beyond "standard practice" for gun owners? Not in my experience.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:11 am

Wasn't that the amount of ammo the guy in Colorado bought? Didn't every gun lover on this board claim that was no big deal and shouldn't raise any flags?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:43 am

fisticuffs wrote:Wasn't that the amount of ammo the guy in Colorado bought? Didn't every gun lover on this board claim that was no big deal and shouldn't raise any flags?

No no no, James Holmes bought 6000 rounds. You see, a power of ten higher is no big deal.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:27 pm

I think maybe John Henry is trying to put less ammo in the hands of the people he's gonna be shooting at.

600 rounds is too many for LEOs. Six thousand is about right for homegrown terrorsts.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:33 pm

600 rounds is nothing. Mrs. Ned and I went through 100 rounds at the range a few weeks ago in no time.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:600 rounds is nothing. Mrs. Ned and I went through 100 rounds at the range a few weeks ago in no time.

Here's a picture of the happy couple...

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government