MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

CNN Fact Checks Convention

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: CNN Fact Checks Convention

Postby Sandi » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:27 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Completely, factually incorrect.

Ok I asked for that by not supplying supporting link. I will look some and lets both start over. :)
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Sandi wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Completely, factually incorrect.

Ok I asked for that by not supplying supporting link. I will look some and lets both start over. :)

Make sure you get them from a trusted source, like HotAir, The Drudge Report or Newsmax.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Alright, here is Sandi's do-overs. :)

Sandi wrote:Probably, unless he miraculously decides to work with congress to lower spending.

Lets start with Obama’s bipartisan fiscal commission.
Here is the draft of the proposal: the Simpson-Bowles Commission. (pdf).

Yes, Ryan voted against it his words (posted on Ryans site). But Obama had already abandoned it by not asking for it to be considered. This was his own commission's.

Ryan website wrote:“Tasked with an extraordinarily difficult challenge, the Co-Chairmen put forth a comprehensive and provocative proposal to help tackle the debt threat, advancing a sorely needed debate on these critical issues. Their proposal is a serious and credible plan, but I cannot support it. We must address the explosive growth of our health care entitlement programs at the structural level to meet the fiscal and economic challenges confronting this nation. This plan not only lacks needed structural reforms, but would in fact take us in the wrong direction on health care by accelerating the adverse consequences of the President’s health care law. It also relies too heavily on tax increases, which would stifle the very growth and prosperity that are the essential preconditions of a sustainable fiscal path.

...Those who refuse to confront the looming fiscal crisis have nowhere to hide. I am eager to build on this effort in my work at the House Budget Committee – drawing upon specific ideas put forward in the Commission and drawing upon the inspired leadership of the Co-Chairmen.

Sandi wrote:However outside of politics he is more or less just a highly trained social worker.

Obama's early career.

Los Angeles in 1979-1983 Obama attend Occidental College, and Columbia University in NY City. Majored in political science with a specialty in international relations.

Two years after graduating Obama worked in various community organizer positions or as consultant from 1985 through 2004.

In late 1988, Obama entered Harvard Law School but returned home to Chicago for the summers. He accepted a position at University of Chicago Law School in 1991. He taught as a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996, and as a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004—teaching constitutional law. Also during 1992 and 1993 he directed Illinois's Project Vote.

He joined Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, a 13-attorney law firm specializing in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development, where he was an associate for three years from 1993 to 1996, then of counsel from 1996 to 2004.

Illinois State Senator 1997 - 2004 and US Seantor 2005 - 2008.

Sandi wrote:Therefore I expect mostly social programs to be his main concern and what he will ask for.

This is just my personal thoughts based on his lifes work to this point. What else has he done besides community organization? Admirable work but it only taught him to use city or state tax dollars to reach his goals. None of it required him to organize a budget, just ask as much budget as one can get.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Maybe I missed something, but wtf does Obama's career have to do with fact checking the DNC?

And you yourself stated that he worked for a private law firm for 11 years. How is that "community organizing" or using tax dollars? The same applies to being a law professor, which certainly seems to me like a pretty damned reputable career.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Obama's last budget was voted down 98-0.

Hello? Hello?

Oh, Ned. Are you trying to stir up trouble posting false numbers? Stop trying to make Obama's numbers look better than they are.

It was not 98-0. Can't you get the numbers right? posting.php?mode=quote&f=40&p=702336#

I can't understand folks that say Obama can never get bipartisan support.

by Ben Shapiro 16 May 2012 213

President Obama’s 2013 budget just went down to defeat by a 99-0 vote in the Senate. In March, the measure went before the House for a vote – and went down to flaming defeat, 414-0. The Obama budget had been held up in the Senate by Democrats for fear of complete failure; that fear, it appears, was justified.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... -goes-down

Not a single vote? In either house?

Seems pretty bipartisan to me. Take that all you folks who say Obama is a divider not a uniter.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Sandi wrote:However outside of politics he is more or less just a highly trained social worker.

Oh, no, Sandi. He is sooooooo much more than that.

He is more or less a highly trained and well connected social worker with a law license.

Well, used to have a license anyway. He surrendered it some years ago.

Another thing he and Clinton have in common.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Galoot wrote:Maybe I missed something, but wtf does Obama's career have to do with fact checking the DNC?

And you yourself stated that he worked for a private law firm for 11 years. How is that "community organizing" or using tax dollars? The same applies to being a law professor, which certainly seems to me like a pretty damned reputable career.

It has nothing to do with it, but fisticuffs was giving me a hard time with "Completely, factually incorrect" for every thing I was posting. So I went back to add a few links.

My apologies for derailing my own thread :)

I shouldn't say much about the law profession, because I find it about as low as %^#$@&$. The laws in this country are made by lawyers, for lawyers.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Galoot wrote:And you yourself stated that he worked for a private law firm for 11 years. How is that "community organizing" or using tax dollars?

He is the one who told us that his background was in community organizing. He was always pretty vague about what community organizing meant, though. It is what his lawfirm did.

Galoot wrote: The same applies to being a law professor

When did he become a law "professor"?

I thought he was just an adjunct (fancy name for part time contract employee) instructor or lecturer.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government