MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby Meade » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
...splashing them in the lake where children are known to sometimes drown.

Don't children sometimes drown in any lake near a population center?

Of course. Children sometimes drown in drywall mud buckets. The point is, Hulsey asserts that he came upon what appeared to him to be a "potentially dangerous situation". Was that because he saw a 9 year-old and two 6 year-olds splashing in the water with no apparent adult supervision? Hulsey may have acted awkwardly, but he did act. Obviously, it was ill-advised for Hulsey to plead "no contest" to the charge of disorderly conduct and he should have used his cell phone to call the police and report what was, apparently, a case - not of disorderly conduct - but of child neglect.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Why did it take the parents and grandparents of the children nineteen (19) hours to call the police? How long does it take to sober up from a day of Fourth of July drinking? How long does it take to get six people's stories coordinated? Why were there no adults on the beach when Hulsey arrived? -- adults who should have been supervising three young children as they splashed and played in Lake Mendota. Why was there no proper lifeguard on a public city park beach?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Phil » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:14 pm

Meade is actually right. (God that is painful to write.) You do not leave six year olds to play in a lake while you sit up on a deck. You are just too far away and if you avert your attention for just fifteen seconds the results could be tragic.

In a cosmic-alternative universe way if Hulsey did not appear on the scene the outcome could have been tragic.

Sally Miley might think Brett Hulsey is "creepy" but he maybe saved her grandchildren's lives.

In truth Brett Hulsey could be the hero and not the villian in all of this!
Phil
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:40 am

Meade wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:As I cannot imagine that it cares much about BH, the simplest answer is that the story is a perceived crack that it needs to keep hammering away at. Tisk tisk...very boring.

A perceived crack? Crack in what?

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:43 am

Phil wrote:Meade is actually right. (God that is painful to write.)

Gee, Phil Retread, you've really made an ass of yourself this time, haven't you?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:18 am

You's people need something to do.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Police Chief Noble Wray should not stand for his officers being lied to. I would hope he would back them up and investigate whether the mayor's top aide lied to them concerning this matter.

I realize the Police Chief does not want to turn over the apple cart now that city budgeting season is just starting. But he should not allow the strong appearance that a political insider can corrupt the law enforcement process.
Westsidegal

Postby swimmingupstream » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:58 pm

If this is not looked into, the message that will be sent is that you can lie to the Madison police without fear of any consequences.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby amused2death » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 pm

When it comes to the lifeguard issue it seems like a really strange thing to just make up and lie to the cops about. It seems more plausible that Briski would lie about it because if it did happen and nobody wrote it up then he'd have some explaining to do.

For Meade and Phil - how close does one have to be to properly supervise their kids?
amused2death

Postby Abdul » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:01 pm

What I find odd is Hulsey's statement that he did not pay attention to the complaint when he pled to the offense. What kind of fool does not read a criminal complaint against them before accepting it?

I find it hard to believe Hulsey on that point, which calls into question the rest of his arugument. Now, I'm not saying that I would find him guilty if I were on a jury, just that absent all the facts there is enough reason to believe Miley and see Hulsey's "political retribution" cry as a smokescreen.
Abdul

Postby Phil » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 pm

amused2death wrote:When it comes to the lifeguard issue it seems like a really strange thing to just make up and lie to the cops about. It seems more plausible that Briski would lie about it because if it did happen and nobody wrote it up then he'd have some explaining to do.

Yes, either Miley gave false information to the police or Briski does not want to own up to political rumor-mongering. If Miley lied to the police then that should be confirmed and Briski's reputation should be restored. If Briski told Miley that Hulsey was on his department's radar screen but is now publicly denying it, then that should be confirmed and the cloud over Miley's reputation should be removed.

amused2death wrote:For Meade and Phil - how close does one have to be to properly supervise their kids?

In a lake? With multiple children including two six year olds I would say an adult should be within twenty feet of the water. If a child went under it could be very difficult to locate them and time would be of the essence.
Phil
Forum Addict

Postby mayact4 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Since these Hulsey threads started, I've spent more time than I care to document trying to figure out when the splashing of water became such an unsafe activity.
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:55 pm

I too get the feeling a number of people here weren't raised on the water.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:17 pm

amused2death wrote:For Meade and Phil - how close does one have to be to properly supervise their kids?

When the 6 year-olds are in water? Not only close enough but sober enough to keep them from drowning which can happen a lot sooner than many people think.

Here, let me google that for you: http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:I too get the feeling a number of people here weren't raised on the water.

Sno you are so right, and it is sad (in my mind) that others don't get what that means. Although all of this does not explain the BH's behaviour. If it was me and I was overly concerned about the safety of said children I might have sat down and quietly observed and when the adults responsible for these children returned let them have a piece of my concerns. Strangely this story is not so much about overt responsibility, rather it is very fishy.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government