MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Crime

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Crime

Postby Crockett » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm no statistician, but judging from the news stories this summer crime is up in Madison. Well, at least it seems like its up on campus, downtown and on the near west side.

Muggings and rapes seem to be the crime of choice so its not just 'petty theft'.

At what point do we hold Wray and Soglin accountable? I've lived here a number of years I can say this is the first time I've felt unsafe after dark in a number of neighborhoods. Neighborhoods that used to be 'safe'.

Is Madison's seemingly-quaint police force equipped to deal with this crime spree?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Crime

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:19 pm

At what point do we hold Wray and Soglin accountable?

I think every time you get a "feeling" based on "news stories".
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:22 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
At what point do we hold Wray and Soglin accountable?

I think every time you get a "feeling" based on "news stories".

So can you refute these feelings from news stories with hard facts? Or will you merely rely on your feelings toward my feelings?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Is crime up in Madison? If you want to hold anyone accountable that's probably a good fact to know.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Crockett wrote:At what point do we hold Wray and Soglin accountable?

In my opinion this started before Soglin came into office. I'm not a huge Soglin fan, so this is not just an apologists writing.

Crockett wrote:Is Madison's seemingly-quaint police force

I don't know what you mean by this.

I do agree that the crime has been getting worse. I think their are economic factors as well as population factors. Madison is getting bigger. More people generally means more crime. I also think we are hearing more about some of these crimes because they're now happening downtown. The crime sometimes moves and becomes more high profile. A few years back their were a slew of muggings on the bike path. I think I read about 1 this year.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I also think we are hearing more about some of these crimes because they're now happening downtown. The crime sometimes moves and becomes more high profile.

I think explains my point more clearly. Whether its up or not (seems like it is), the areas have changed.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:17 pm

It does seem like stabbings have been on the rise for awhile.

Why stabbing? It's so goddamn......West Side Story.

I mean, it's 2012 and anybody with a credit card has access to all kinds of modern weaponry. Why must we revisit the common shiv? Maybe it's just me but the idea of being stabbed or slashed is just the worst. I'll take my chances with a nice quick gunshot or better yet, a group beat-down.

Blunt force trauma could be awful too but I think I'd take a baseball bat over a hammer if it came to it. A bat at least spreads the force out over a few square inches, but a "hammer attack!" ? That just sounds like the first line of an obituary.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:22 pm

Judging crime trends by looking at the incidents reported in the news is not a particularly sound method. The media is selective in what they choose to report, as is the police department with press releases and online "incident reports."

I subscribe to each Madison police department districts (more or less monthly) newsletters and yesterday the East District's latest newsletter was published with a comparison of crime numbers within that district for the past three years. It shows crime number up in a few categories, down in some and fairly even in the rest. If you want a better idea of what is going on around Madison, the PD has a link on their website

http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/cri ... tterms.cfm

to a interactive map where you can select types of incidents/crimes that have occurred over various period of time. It's a good way to keep on top of what's been happening in your part of town, plus the locations of registered sex offenders.

While I'm not a huge fan of either guy, assigning responsibility for upswings in crime numbers to the mayor or to the chief of police is a tenuous enterprise in my opinion. If you could indicate specifically which policies they have enacted or endorse that you believe contribute to higher crime rates, you'd be standing on firmer ground. The idea that the police play the most significant role in crime prevention I believe is simply wrong. What the police can contribute to crime prevention is limited. Their major role in preventing crimes is by responding to crimes that have already been committed and doing what they can to identify the perpetrators and get them off the street. Then it is in the hands of the prosecutors, courts and corrections system.

A lot of things that lead to criminal behavior are far beyond the scope of the police to address effectively: poverty, societal norms of behavior, poor parenting, the attraction of gangs, and other factors. The police and city hall are only two voices out of many advocating in these areas, but the real changes in these areas will require more than mere preaching.

If you want crime rates to really go down and to stay down then it will require an attitudinal adjustment by a whole lot of people. In the end crime rates go up because society tolerates the crime level it has. The prevailing feeling is "As long as it is happening to someone else, all I need to do is grumble about it." A broad attitudinal adjustment will result in people doing more than just grumbling about crime. They will realize that no person is completely safe from crime. They will take steps to make sure they don't make themselves easy prey to crime: not walking alone at night, not getting so drunk that they become particularly vulnerable, locking their doors and windows, installing better locks or outdoor lighting, watching out for their neighbors, reporting suspicious activity to the police, becoming more observant of their surroundings and the people near them, not engaging in foolish activities like getting into the van of a complete stranger to look at "purses and clothing" he's selling at 4 a.m.-- the list is endless. Nobody willingly invites criminals to strike, but all too many people facilitate crime by what they do or fail to do.

As long as the number of people who make themselves easy victims is high, there will be plenty of criminals happy to take advantage of their mistakes. The first realistic prevention of higher crime numbers starts with YOU. The police and mayor are down the list in accountability.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Dangerousman wrote:If you want a better idea of what is going on around Madison, the PD has a link on their website

http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/cri ... tterms.cfm

to a interactive map where you can select types of incidents/crimes that have occurred over various period of time. It's a good way to keep on top of what's been happening in your part of town, plus the locations of registered sex offenders.

I've used this before. It was helpful when I purchased my house as I didn't know the particular neighborhood that well. I agree that this is a better indicator of crime trends then the media. They tend to sensationalize things that really should be.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:30 am

The viciousness of the rapes reported is alarming.

A woman buys some food for takeout and gets gangraped by the restaurant employees?

A woman not only gets raped, but gets her skull smashed in the process?

These two crimes happened within two weeks of each other.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines