MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby Westsidegal » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:51 pm

snoqueen wrote:I too get the feeling a number of people here weren't raised on the water.

Brett Hulsey once told me he can walk on water.
Westsidegal

Postby bleurose » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:38 am

Just from what I have read in the public media (newspapers), this seems like a tempest in a teapot. I'm really not getting how BH did anything particularly "wrong" or "creepy" here. We want individuals to be aware of potential bullying and to step in to stop it when they see it. On the other hand, thinking back to when I was a kid, a lot of the play action we engaged in would definitely look like bullying behavior as defined today. The other thing is that if an adult is at all concerned about apparently unsupervised children, it seems we would want that passing adult to ascertain that said children were OK.

On the surface, it seems like we want adults to look out for children, but then react like this when they do. Not really surprising that so many people choose to "not get involved" then.

I dunno - I don't think he did anything wrong based on what I've read. Is anyone else feeling the same?
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:19 am

snoqueen wrote:I too get the feeling a number of people here weren't raised on the water.

snoqueen, you were raised on the water, right? Can you tell those of us who were raised on the earth a little bit about that? Is it normal for people raising their six year-old children "on the water" to let them swim with only the supervision of a nine-year-old?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:23 am

It warms my heart to see Meade concerned for his fellow man and not being antagonistic or acting like an asshole at all.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:30 am

How drunk or stoned is too drunk or stoned to adequately lifeguard children who are being raised on the water?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Westsidegal wrote:Police Chief Noble Wray should not stand for his officers being lied to. I would hope he would back them up and investigate whether the mayor's top aide lied to them concerning this matter.

I realize the Police Chief does not want to turn over the apple cart now that city budgeting season is just starting. But he should not allow the strong appearance that a political insider can corrupt the law enforcement process.

I also would hope that Chief Wray will keep his department above politics. The current appearance that those who are politically well connected can provide false information to police investigating a crime and get away with it is a bad one.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Meade wrote: Is it normal for people raising their six year-old children "on the water" to let them swim with only the supervision of a nine-year-old?

Did I miss something in the story where there was a six year old involved?

Meade wrote:How drunk or stoned is too drunk or stoned to adequately lifeguard children who are being raised on the water?

Anything more than a doobie and 2 gin and tonics.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Meade wrote:How drunk or stoned is too drunk or stoned to adequately lifeguard children who are being raised on the water?

Anything more than a doobie and 2 gin and tonics.

Or even one bottle of mead. Stuff renders ya stoopid.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 am

I saw the police report online somewhere. Could someone link to it here?
Westsidegal

Postby swimmingupstream » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:07 am

Stebben84 wrote:Did I miss something in the story where there was a six year old involved?

It was in the police report.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby lukpac » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Soglin:

On July 5, 2012 a city employee informed me that members of the individual's family were involved in a disturbing incident in a facility under the supervision of the Madison Parks Division. I was told that the incident involved minor children and Brett Hulsey. I was alerted because, if any action was taken, it could lead to questions of me.

I told the employee that the family should proceed without regard to the impact on the Mayor's Office and that there was to be no further communication with me on the subject until it was resolved.

I had no further discussion about the incident until the week of August 27th when I learned that Brett Hulsey had pled no contest to a charge of disorderly conduct and that he was making reckless suggestions that there were political motivations that led to the charges.

Brett Hulsey owes city employees, particularly the Madison Police Department, the City Attorney's Office, and my office an apology for suggesting that anyone would compromise their professional standards or integrity in order to see him cited. Hulsey suggested that perhaps his support of my opponent in the last election was the motivator. Tens of thousands of Madisonians supported Dave Cieslewicz. There is nothing unusual about Mr. Hulsey - he neither merits nor deserves special treatment.

In one news report, the City Parks Superintendent is quoted as saying that there were no previous written reports on Hulsey. That is correct. Another journalist concluded that meant there were no reports on Hulsey. That is incorrect. In 2008, a Madison lifeguard reported to a high ranking staff member that the lifeguard was uncomfortable with Hulsey's presence at a city beach.

It should be noted that when one views Lake Mendota from the site in question during the late afternoon or early evening of July 4, the sun is not over any portion of the lake but behind the viewer's left shoulder.

If Hulsey has any further comments on this matter, I suggest he contain them to apologies to the police officers and city attorneys who serve the City of Madison.

http://www.cityofmadison.com/news/view.cfm?news_id=3445
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Why was Sally Miley aware of some verbal report about Hulsey from 2008? The head of Parks Kevin Briski pasted on this verbal information to Sally Miley before this incident because? It is totally nonsensical.

I think Sally Miley gave the police false information and is hiding behind Kevin Briski hoping that he will tow the line.

Police Chief Wray should get to the bottom of this. Otherwise it looks like city hall insiders can say what ever they want to the police and get away with what ever they want.
Westsidegal

Postby Westsidegal » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Also, these charges that Hulsey made someone "uncomfortable" with his presence on a city beach is what is really creepy here. If Sally Miley or the Mayor or Kevin Briski can not detail what Hulsey actually has done then it looks like a big smear job on him.
Westsidegal

Postby SlayerDave » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Is that true about where the sun is over Lake Mendota?
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:15 pm

SlayerDave wrote:Is that true about where the sun is over Lake Mendota?

I don't know, but that was a weird thing to add to the statement. It seemed like a jab at Hulsey being guilty of something more. Why would the Mayor add that to this statement? The whole thing kinda made Soglin sound like a dick.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government