MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, October 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Let's Bitch About Comics

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Let's Bitch About Comics

Postby seashells » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:A defunct comic strip that still looms large is Little Orphan Annie, thanks to the musical. Maybe not every fan of the musical knows it was a comic strip.

Ugh, I have tried to forget. Those creepy, empty eyes haunt my dreams.

I really enjoyed Calvin & Hobbes and was a fan of Bloom County (I esp. liked Cutter John, Steve Dallas and the interaction between Binkley and his Dad). I am still trying to forget the monstrosity that was "Outland."
seashells

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:26 pm

Then there is Zippy the Pinhead, which has the rare distinction of straddling the daily and alt-weekly comic worlds. It even ran in the monthly National Lampoon. I don't read as much Zippy as I should, but it always makes me laugh.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm

The kids are into the FoxTrot now-a-days. Its message is slowly becoming apparent to me.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:45 am

I read the comics in today's Knoxville News Sentinel and laughed exactly once -- at The Family Circus.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:25 am

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:37 am

Bloom County. End of story. No other strip before or since has had the perfect mixture of artful drawing, social and political satire, whimsical absurdity, week-long story arcs, large cast of fleshed-out characters, and talking, sarcastic animals. I had high hopes for Outland and Breathed's other projects since then, but none have captured the original magic. Now he writes children's books. I found this explanation on his Wikipedia page both telling and sad:

Breathed said that he had no regrets in leaving political cartooning, as he believes the atmosphere became too bitter for him to make quality cartoons.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the best comics these days are all online. The artists don't need to deal with shrinking panel sizes and fickle editors concerned about delicate audiences.

Any favorites? I'm a big fan of Wondermark these days, which ran in the print version of The Onion for a few years.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:05 am

Dear lord, I forgot about Zippy the Pinhead! Read that strip every day in the Boston Globe when I lived there in the late eighties! In the Boston Globe!

Anybody familiar with Eyebeam by Sam Hurt? I picked up 2 paperback collections in the mid-eighties, when I lived in TX. It must have crept out of Austin and into the Houston market somehow (where I lived).
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:27 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Bloom County. End of story. No other strip before or since has had the perfect mixture of artful drawing, social and political satire, whimsical absurdity, week-long story arcs, large cast of fleshed-out characters, and talking, sarcastic animals.

Couldn't agree more. I starting reading those as a kid and I really do think it shaped some of my ideology. I will never forget night of the Mary Kay cosmetics. I don't think I would have known about some of the animal abuses as a kid without Bloom County.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:31 pm

I wonder why Bloom County doesn't linger in my mind the way contemporaneous comics like The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes do. I certainly read and enjoyed it.

Maybe because it was topical and doesn't age well?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I wonder why Bloom County doesn't linger in my mind the way contemporaneous comics like The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes do. I certainly read and enjoyed it.

Maybe because it was topical and doesn't age well?

I read all three as a kid and I probably remember Bloom County the best. I think it was the ongoing stories that the others didn't have.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 pm

I was probably too young to get most of the political stuff in Bloom County, so my fondness for it is directly attributable to its predilection for the bizarre. If Bill the Cat was topical, I certainly didn't notice at the time. And Deathtöngue remains one of the all-time greatest fake band names (Billy and the Boingers, not so much.)

Years ago during my cartoon-song cover band days, I was tempted to stretch the concept just a wee bit to do "I'm A Boinger". Still kinda want to...
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I was tempted to stretch the concept just a wee bit to do "I'm A Boinger". Still kinda want to...

You have to do it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I was tempted to stretch the concept just a wee bit to do "I'm A Boinger". Still kinda want to...

You have to do it.

Well, the cover band that currently lets me sing with them has, depending on the night, anywhere from 2 to 5 guitars, but alas, no electric tongue.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Good piece about newspaper comics in the AV Club. Nice work, AV Club!
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Random, or no?
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All