MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Favorite Potluck Dishes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Favorite Potluck Dishes

Postby msnflyer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:03 am

Ahh, the potlucks in the church basement, brings back lots of memories. Mom's standby was chop suey hot dish.
Brown a pound of ground beef with 1 cup each chopped celery and onion. 1 can each cream of mushroom and chicken rice soup, a can of bean sprouts, 1/2 cup rice, 3 T. Soy sauce, pepper, a soup can of water (I use the bean sprout water.) Stir it up, bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Sprinkle chow mien noodles over the top, bake for another 30 minutes or so.

Mom always said, "Don't tell anyone it's venison!"

I share the aversion to potlucks, have seen too much double dipping.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby TeachInPeace » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:40 am

What ever happened to a nice veggie platter, or bowl of cut fresh fruit and berries - or even a DIY meat and cheese tray? I too fear potlucks with unknown persons, and hold an even deeper fear of casseroles. Even at my Lutheran/Norwegian/German family reunions,I usually eat in advance, so I can hover near the pickle jar and avoid mysterious substances covered in shredded cheese baked to a crust and items slathered in "gravy". :shock:

On a lighter note, if I do opt to "make" something, guacamole or crock pot chili is easy. Also, pulled pork bbq in a slow cooker is low-prep/high reward and freezes nicely.
TeachInPeace

Postby sallybell » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:03 pm

I usually have a few different kinds of pesto in my freezer (arugula pesto is one of my favorites), so a pesto pasta salad is often my go-to for potlucks. Garlic scape pesto is really nice as a dip, so sometimes I'll just thaw out a container of that and pair with a nice crusty french bread and some cut-up veggies.

I also often make a Mediterranean-ish pasta salad. Cook a package of orzo. Mix with olive oil, cubed feta cheese, sliced cucumbers, sliced green onions, and salt to taste. I often add kalamata olives and/or sun-dried tomatoes. The recipe I originally had for this called for walnuts, but I hate 'em so leave them out. It's best if it gets to sit in the fridge for at least 4-5 hours before serving.

I have relatives that often make a black-bean casserole for potlucks. Layer a baking pan with cooked rice, add a layer of black beans (canned is fine). Cover with shredded cheese, black olives, maybe some green onions and cilantro, then throw in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is melty and everything is warm. It's easy to make half-vegan by leaving the cheese off of half of it.
sallybell

Postby fennel » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:22 pm

I eat meat from time to time, but I would never take a meat dish to a potluck unless it were an agreed-upon dish.

If the event is sponsored by the Cow Tongue Society, say, that's a clear cue that you have a good deal of latitude. So if you don't really know everyone who might be attending, I suggest you cook for the spectrum. (And even then, label your dish. I've found there are still people who don't worship cilantro, for example.)

And for you event planners out there, remember that omnivores will devour any dish that's tastey. (Go figure.) But if you figure that 30% of your atendees are ovo-lacto eaters and 5% percent are strictly vegan, don't make the mistake of setting aside only %35 of the food. It will disappear during the first pass. Try 65%.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:28 pm

TeachInPeace wrote:What ever happened to a nice veggie platter, or bowl of cut fresh fruit and berries - or even a DIY meat and cheese tray?...On a lighter note, if I do opt to "make" something, guacamole or crock pot chili is easy. Also, pulled pork bbq in a slow cooker is low-prep/high reward and freezes nicely.

Excellent. I find people I work with LOVE fruit, veggie, and cheese trays at potlucks. I don't need a sauce to enjoy fruit and veggies. But if you're a sauce person the veggies you could make some with yogurt, parsley, and garlic (or a just bring some French Onion flavored sour cream). For fruit you could have yogurt with honey and any other spice you'd like (cinnamon or vanilla).

One of my most popular potluck dishes was a roasted turkey. Then I removed the skin and bones, shredded it by hand, added some butter and cumin, and let it heat up from morning on in a crock pot. It was one of the first dishes gone! A co-worker who hates to cook brought in rolls and it made the sandwich complete.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:56 pm

fennel wrote:I eat meat from time to time, but I would never take a meat dish to a potluck unless it were an agreed-upon dish.

If the event is sponsored by the Cow Tongue Society, say, that's a clear cue that you have a good deal of latitude.

Generally speaking, if you are outside the Beltline, you are probably going to be fine bringing a meat dish to a pot luck if you choose.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues