MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby Westsidegal » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:18 pm

From Soglin's press release
It should be noted that when one views Lake Mendota from the site in question during the late afternoon or early evening of July 4, the sun is not over any portion of the lake but behind the viewer's left shoulder.


What point is he trying to make here? It seems like a total non sequitur.

Is he trying to imply that his aide Miley should have been down at the beach watching her grand children given the poor light? Is he implying that she did not have enough light to see what Hulsey did? I don't get it.
Westsidegal
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:22 pm

SlayerDave wrote:Is that true about where the sun is over Lake Mendota?



https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U ... CHAQ_BIwAQ

I'm not familiar with the beach in question, but based on the fact the sun sets in the west, and lake was north and east of the beach, it does seem like he would have a hard time taking a picture of a sail boat, swimming children AND the sunset.

Stebben84 wrote:I don't know, but that was a weird thing to add to the statement. It seemed like a jab at Hulsey being guilty of something more. Why would the Mayor add that to this statement? The whole thing kinda made Soglin sound like a dick.


I think Soglin is pointing out that the whole story about taking a picture of the sunset and a boat, that the children just happened to be in has some holes in it.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:23 pm

On the other hand, why'd Hulsey say he was taking a picture of a sunset over the lake when, at the hour in question on the beach in question, the sunset does not take place over the lake? That's Soglin's question and I believe it is perfectly valid and relevant.

http://www.publichealthmdc.com/environm ... .cfm?id=16

This link goes to a map that locates Spring Harbor Beach. On the fourth of July, the sun sets fairly far to the north not due west (west would definitely be over land, at the location shown). If someone can find the specific direction of the sunset on summer solstice in Madison's latitude (that's close enough to July 4) we can calculate where it sets relative to land/water on the Spring Harbor Beach horizon using that map. (I can spend more time on this tonight if necessary but I bet one of you is a faster searcher than I am.)

The goal of this exercise is to see whether Hulsey's picture taking could reasonably have included a sunset, or whether that was an excuse of some kind. Could go either way.

And what would be Miley's motivation to slime Hulsey in order to get his constituents to elect a different representative, if no such representative has been brought forward or even suggested? That would be silly, because without a progressive alternate candidate, you could end up with someone far worse. I mean, where's Thuy been lately?

I can't make any sense of a lot of things here but I think we're getting closer.
Last edited by snoqueen on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11824
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby Phil » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Stebben84 wrote:The whole thing kinda made Soglin sound like a dick.

The press release is classic Paul Soglin.

"How dare you question my wisdom or integrity!"
Phil
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 9:46 am

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Phil wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:The whole thing kinda made Soglin sound like a dick.

The press release is classic Paul Soglin.

"How dare you question my wisdom or integrity!"


I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5169
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:34 pm

snoqueen wrote:On the other hand, why'd Hulsey say he was taking a picture of a sunset over the lake when, at the hour in question on the beach in question, the sunset does not take place over the lake? That's Soglin's question and I believe it is perfectly valid and relevant.

http://www.publichealthmdc.com/environm ... .cfm?id=16

This link goes to a map that locates Spring Harbor Beach. On the fourth of July, the sun sets fairly far to the north not due west (west would definitely be over land, at the location shown). If someone can find the specific direction of the sunset on summer solstice in Madison's latitude (that's close enough to July 4)


http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/a ... =-12&day=1

on July 4th 2012, was at 303° roughly a third of the way from Due west(270°) to due north(0°). I can't see anyway that he's pointing a camera at the lake and seeing a sunset.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby swimmingupstream » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:42 pm

It could be the reflection of the sunset.

What in the hell is wrong with some of you people? When did we decide that we should throw the book at someone because they take a picture of some kids frolicking at a public beach?

Some of you have become foot soldiers furthering this witch hunt.

"Well Hulsey seems creepy and he makes me uncomfortable so if he splashes a kid or takes a picture he MUST be a perv...THROW THE BOOK AT HIM!"
Last edited by swimmingupstream on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby SlayerDave » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Stebben84 wrote:The whole thing kinda made Soglin sound like a dick.


Favorite line:
Tens of thousands of Madisonians supported Dave Cieslewicz. There is nothing unusual about Mr. Hulsey - he neither merits nor deserves special treatment.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:52 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:Some of you have become foot soldiers furthering this witch hunt.

You mean, like this foot soldier:
swimmingupstream wrote:Soglin needs to place Sally Miley on administrative leave and have the appropriate authorities get to the bottom of this.


swimmingupstream wrote:What in the hell is wrong with some of you people? When did we decide that we should throw the book at someone because they take a picture of some kids frolicking at a public beach?

When did "we" decide that administrative leave is appropriate for a public employee who files a complaint about odd behavior in a public place?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3124
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby swimmingupstream » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:53 pm

snoqueen wrote:And what would be Miley's motivation...

Here is what I think happened...
Hulsey stopped to take a swim and found a couple of six year olds along with a nine year old unattended by an adult engaging in horse play. He told the nine year old to cut it out and when he emerged from the water Sally Miley finally appeared and started yelling at him. My guess is she took his "interference" as a non-verbal criticism that she was not supervising her grand children but was instead sitting up on her deck socializing.

When Hulsey found out the next day that he was under investigation for "something" involving improper interaction with young children he freaked out. I would further bet that his attorney told him to pay the $112 ticket and plead no contest given the ugly but undefined charge being made by someone who is connected at the highest levels of Madison government.
Last edited by swimmingupstream on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby swimmingupstream » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:58 pm

Everyone here knows that Hulsey is abrasive and often off putting. But it is also well known that Sally Miley has an explosive temper and can be often over aggressive.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby swimmingupstream » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:05 pm

jman111 wrote:When did "we" decide that administrative leave is appropriate for a public employee who files a complaint about odd behavior in a public place?

jman-don't be a dope.

There is the strong appearance that Sally Miley gave police officers false information. That looks bad for Kevin Briski, the Mayor and the police Department. She would not be placed on paid leave because she filed a complain, but because there is reason to believe she gave false information.

BTW, Soglin's press release is obviously a gambit to shut down this being looked into.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby Westsidegal » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:14 pm

We know two things here.
1) It is not at all clear what "wrong" Brett Hulsey actually did. (Can someone explain from the police report what he did to deserve the citation?)
2) Sally Miley was not properly supervising her grandchildren and potentially lied to the police about having information from other high level government officials involving Hulsey.
Westsidegal
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:36 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:
jman111 wrote:When did "we" decide that administrative leave is appropriate for a public employee who files a complaint about odd behavior in a public place?

jman-don't be a dope.

There is the strong appearance that Sally Miley gave police officers false information. That looks bad for Kevin Briski, the Mayor and the police Department. She would not be placed on paid leave because she filed a complain, but because there is reason to believe she gave false information.

BTW, Soglin's press release is obviously a gambit to shut down this being looked into.

Hey swimmy- why don't you come clean?
What is your motivation here? Why do things appears so strongly one-sided to you?

I don't see that she gave false information. As stated earlier, Briski's carefully worded statement allows for there to have previous undocumented concerns. What's your beef with Miley?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3124
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby swimmingupstream » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:47 pm

I don't have a beef with Miley.

I do have a problem with someone being accused of breaking the law when no one, including the police report, can define what the actual crime is. Hulsey might be annoyingly overbearing but that should not get him dinged with the latest witch hunt charge.

It's a civil liberties thing.
Last edited by swimmingupstream on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:55 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar