MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Brearly and Livingston RR Xings ordered closed

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Brearly and Livingston RR Xings ordered closed

Postby lukpac » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:33 pm

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Railroa ... index.html

State officials told WISC-TV Railroad Commissioner Jeff Plale will order the closure of railroad crossings across the Wisconsin and Southern railroad tracks at Brearly and Livingston Streets on the city's east side.

Wisconsin and Southern petitioned the state in 2009 to close down three crossings, including a crossing at Blount Street. Officials told WISC-TV the state will allow the Blount Street crossing to remain open.

In related news, trains.com reported yesterday that WSOR President/CEO Bill Gardner has stepped down.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brearly and Livingston RR Xings ordered closed

Postby rabble » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm

That's close enough to downtown that it's going to be an interesting time for big traffic flow days like big games and festivals and such all.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Having lived in that area more than 30 years, I think the closings will actually make almost no difference to most people. Game traffic tends to flow along Johnson-Gorham and E. Wash, not across the isthmus. Festivals (art fair, for instance) result in a lot of streetside parking in the east isthmus, and that probably won't change one way or the other. I'll have to find a different way to make my favorite cross-isthmus mini-trips, but I'm pretty irrelevant in the big picture.

Apparently emergency services have signed off on the change, and there are clearly plenty of other cross streets they can use.

The winners are people who hated hearing the train horns.

Unchanged will be the number of people who, on foot or bike, cross wherever they like. If this upsets someone powerful, I foresee lots of new chain-link.

The train-collision rate in the whole area has been close to zero (or at zero) and I expect no closing-related changes to that statistic.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:03 pm

The few times I've been out and about when the hordes are emptying out of town from whatever was going on, I've noticed increased traffic both ways on the cross streets. I assumed it was people on Willy getting annoyed with the slow traffic and hopping over to East Wash while people on East Wash annoyed with the slow traffic are hopping over to Willy.

But maybe all that newfangled traffic construction on the wash will help with that and not many people will hop over to Willy.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:13 pm

The railroads can do whatever they like; their control and power is grandfathered in from the old days. Their accepting input from the community is for appearances only. The street closings are not being done to create 'quiet zones', they are being closed so that the trains can go faster. Expect accidents and fatalities to increase. There is no penalty to speak of now when a train is speeding and someone dies. This will not change.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:22 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:The railroads can do whatever they like; their control and power is grandfathered in from the old days.

Presumably if that was the case all three crossings would have been closed several years ago.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:45 pm

lukpac wrote:
Violet_Skye wrote:The railroads can do whatever they like; their control and power is grandfathered in from the old days.

Presumably if that was the case all three crossings would have been closed several years ago.

I invite you to learn more. http://www.nytimes.com/ref/national/dea ... .html?_r=1
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:42 am

Violet_Skye wrote:I invite you to learn more. http://www.nytimes.com/ref/national/dea ... .html?_r=1

What specifically?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Marsha sent out a PDF of the entire process. She's been voting against it, in case anyone wonders.

It's a very long description but way towards the end, there's this in the decision:

5. That the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Co. shall remove the crossing surface and obliterate the roadway approaches within the railroad right-of-way for the crossings at-grade of S. Livingston Street and S. Brearly Street with the tracks owned by the Union Pacific Railroad Co. and operated by the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Co. in the City of Madison, Dane County after June 1 and before June 15, 2014 (S. Livingston Street crossing no. 177 827L / MP 138.73 and S. Brearly Street crossing no. 177 831B / MP 138.98).

So we've got till spring of 2014. Quick. Go drive those streets before they're gone.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government