MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby Meade » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Photos of sunsets, looking east: http://www.google.com/search?q=photo+of ... 8&bih=1172

Photos of sunset with sailboat, looking east: http://www.google.com/search?q=photo+of ... 8&bih=1172
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:55 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:I do have a problem with someone being accused of breaking the law when no one, including the police report, can define what the actual crime is.

Well, isn't that the case with nearly all "Disorderly Conduct" citations?

Continue your witch hunt...
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:03 pm

The mayor also clarifies that while Parks Superintendent Kevin Briski did not have any previous written reports on Hulsey, one lifeguard mentioned to Briski in 2008 that he was uncomfortable with Hulsey's presence at the beach. But, as Briski has explained to Isthmus, the lifeguard lacked specifics.

"It was just a general feeling," said Briski.

Freeze! You're under arrest!

For what?

General feeling.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:14 pm

jman111 wrote:Well, isn't that the case with nearly all "Disorderly Conduct" citations?

Yeah, but those are Black people.

Joking,joking,joking!Don't go all PC on my ass.

I don't like DC charges being abused like this.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:19 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:I don't like DC charges being abused like this.

And I would guess that Sally Miley and Chief Wray don't like their reputations being abused, either.
swimmingupstream wrote:Is Sally Miley lying to the police or is Kevin Briski lying to the media?

swimmingupstream wrote:If this is not looked into, the message that will be sent is that you can lie to the Madison police without fear of any consequences.

swimmingupstream wrote:I also would hope that Chief Wray will keep his department above politics. The current appearance that those who are politically well connected can provide false information to police investigating a crime and get away with it is a bad one.

swimmingupstream wrote: …Sally Miley has an explosive temper and can be often over aggressive. (sic)
Last edited by jman111 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Meade wrote:Photos of sunsets, looking east: http://www.google.com/search?q=photo+of ... 8&bih=1172

Photos of sunset with sailboat, looking east: http://www.google.com/search?q=photo+of ... 8&bih=1172

This is a fair point. "Sunset" could mean just the generally pinkish orangish tinge of the sky - no need to actually see the sun.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:29 pm

Hulsey is clearly his own worst enemy. Why in the world did he not fight the charge of disorderly conduct?

Also, why have those parents and grandparents not been charged with child neglect? Leaving your 9 and 6 year-olds in the lake while you go to the house to get a drink and use the bathroom when there is no lifeguard on duty? Wrong. I don't care how "raised on the water" you think you are.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:11 pm

From Soglin's press release
It should be noted that when one views Lake Mendota from the site in question during the late afternoon or early evening of July 4, the sun is not over any portion of the lake but behind the viewer's left shoulder.

Can we all agree that it is totally inappropriate (and creepy) for the Mayor to try Hulsey in his press release?

As someone else implied, it also demonstrates that Soglin is so closed minded about this affair that he does not realize that there is a difference between "taking a picture of the sunset" and taking a picture of the "sun setting." This is why a neutral party like Police Chief Wray should be looking at this.

Hulsey is clearly his own worst enemy. Why in the world did he not fight the charge of disorderly conduct?

I agree but I am sure his lawyer told him to just pay the $112 and plead "no contest," which is different than guilty. His attorney was probably correct given the Witch Hunt mentality out there (and seen on this forum) and the fact that Miley is politically well connected at City Hall where she works. Once again this is why the Mayor should not be allowed to squelch this being looked into further.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:34 pm

I have absolutely no connections to anybody in this drama and no real interest in who comes out looking the best. And that's not the way I interpret the evidence as presented.

I think it is appropriate for Soglin to defend his staffer if he thinks her actions are defensible. To do so helps preserve staff morale, which is important to the workings of any office public or private. While his staffer's issue here is a personal matter, casting aspersions on her political motivations is a public matter and to defend her (or at least call for some space around the issue) is also properly a public matter.

I thought Soglin was appropriately cautious in his comments, since some facts seem unclear.

I can agree a lawyer might advise his client not to contest a disorderly conduct citation if the intent is to avoid attracting media attention. To then make a big issue of the political intentions of one of the people in the incident seems unwise and inconsistent, since that would tend to attract media attention.

I can agree a sunset may refer to the area surrounding the sun, not necessarily just the sun itself. (I can't agree to 360 degrees of sunset, but there's a reasonable margin.) How high are the hills to the west around the lakeshore at this beach? It's not irrelevant to try and figure out whether taking a picture of the sunset (extended, not sun-centric -- insert eyeroll here) at this location at the time of the incident is physically likely. This is one of the few readily determinable physical bits of evidence we have available, so to resist analyzing it gives the impression someone does not want to know all the facts.

Determining facts usually precedes interpreting them.

Right now I think we should all wait for more facts, since it's easy for any reader to see certain agendas in play on this forum. An agenda (even unadmitted) is fine, but going way out in favor of one interpretation or another before all the facts are in can result in finding oneself on thin ice.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:44 pm

snoqueen wrote:Right now I think we should all wait for more facts, since it's easy for any reader to see certain agendas in play on this forum. An agenda (even unadmitted) is fine, but going way out in favor of one interpretation or another before all the facts are in can result in finding oneself on thin ice.

Rrright. In case you aren't one of the elite who were "raised on the water" like snoqueen was, you should just shut up and wait for more facts. Remember:
snoqueen wrote:It's too bad, but women seem to be the neutral parties in a social sense, particularly older women (who aren't exactly moms). Maybe it's like the Sikh guys wearing their turbans as a sign they're here to help, as we just learned from them recently.

The older I got, and the grayer my hair got, the more I realized I could basically get away with murder if I wanted to. It's a unique role we older women have in society, and one that can be applied in a very helpful way.

So if you are not an older, gray-haired woman, like snoqueen (or Sally Miley) - trustworthy as a "turban-wearing Sikh as a sign that you are here to help" - then just shut the hell up and wait for more facts.

Here's a fact: Hulsey came upon unsupervised children splashing in the lake. Where were the responsible adults in case one or more of those children started to drown? Not there.

Oh but never mind that. Snoqueen senses agendas. Certain agendas are in play on this forum. Snoqueen is a gray-haired turbaned older sikh-like woman. You can trust her.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:21 pm

snoqueen wrote:The interpretation of the evidence could go a completely different direction, you know.

It might be the Hulsey is setting up a political-payback smokescreen to distract from the fact he has, indeed, been behaving badly at this beach. He gets to say everyone's trying to get even with him for his endorsement of Cieslewicz and it's all a bunch of lies. His motive would be creating cover for himself.

I don't know a thing about the case, but it's begging for a second look before we buy Hulsey's story. The parks director and the police are basically taking a these-are-the-facts tack, which is always wise in a political conflict where you don't want to be a tool of one side or the other.

I don't think anybody's "twisting in the wind," either. That implies the person went out on a limb and then failed to get backing, and I don't see that here. Everybody's just doing their job and being careful.

I'm now starting to question the original poster's motivations, since motivation has become a factor in the discussion.

The parks director, the police, and the mayor have done, at best, half-assed jobs in dealing with this incident. I'd like to ask a few questions of Sally Miley. She seems to be at the center of this entire "creepy" "uncomfortable" mess. http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=37740
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:30 am

Meade wrote:Rrright. In case you aren't one of the elite who were "raised on the water" like snoqueen was, you should just shut up and wait for more facts.

Dude it's f'ng Wisconsin, growing up on the water does not require elite status. That aside; 1) why go pull "class war" language, and 2) I never picked up on the sense of "altruism" that leads you to be such a staunch defender of someone who on the face of it seems diametrically opposed to the spirit of your rants. I have and I do call BS regarding your motives.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:49 am

Snoqueen has brought up what people's agendas are here.

Fair question. Here is my agenda.

Maybe for good reason, Brett Hulsey is not well liked or respected within Madison's tight political circles. If you review my posts in other threads you will see that I share that common opinion. (Though I am starting to wonder if the overall treatment of Hulsey has been unfair. It has recently come off as bullying driven by groupthink. "You don't like Brett? Yeah, I don't like him too.")

But his civil liberties deserve the same respect as the most popular politico in Madison. A cavalier attitude towards Brett's fueled by a general personal distaste for him creates a precedent that could threaten us all.

Until someone can take the police report and demonstrate what justified legal action being taken against him then I am going to continue to stand up for him.

The fact that the Mayor thinks he can pile on and try to squelch the debate makes me even more mad. The mayor can not use his influence to be the final arbitrator in these matters.

That is my agenda.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:07 am

swimmingupstream wrote:The mayor can not use his influence to be the final arbitrator in these matters.

Can not or should not?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:47 pm

snoqueen wrote:Right now I think we should all wait for more facts...

Fine.

Who is going to gather these facts? The Mayor's office?

Given that there is the strong appearance that Sally Miley gave untruthful information to the police it makes sense for Noble Wray to have his department uncover the facts in this affair.

I would like to know did Miley let the officers know of her high ranking position at city hall? Did she do so in a way to influence the police in taking action? Did she provide false information to pressure the investigating officers into taking action? Why did the police not include in their report if any of the participants in the incident consumed alcohol on this July 4th afternoon and what role did that play in how things transpired?

I think it also needs to be detailed why Miley was not providing her grandchildren adequate supervision while they were playing in the lake. That might be the key to all of this.
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government