MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 8.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

If Obama Wins, Shut the GOP Down

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

If Obama Wins, Shut the GOP Down

Postby rabble » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:34 am

Obama is so bad that if he wins it means the GOP is useless and must be destroyed so that a new truly conservative party can rise from the ashes!

Here in its entirety is Dylan Byers’ Politico post late yesterday on a new batch of threats from leading conservative gabbers that a loss on November 6 would justify a dissolution of the GOP:
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: If Obama Wins, Shut the GOP Down

Postby wack wack » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:48 am

How long will it be 'til the GOP understands that "if" is now "when"?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:59 am

With President Obama's ability to push forward the Right's agenda and his "missing in action" stance on so many issues that have affected struggling people, the GOP might as well shut down. He put Social Security and other entitlements on the chopping block two weeks before taking office. The Affordable Care Act has locked drug and insurance corporations deep into the federal health care money flow. The line between Wall St. and the federal government has virtually disappeared with his $16 trillion infusion. The Bill of Rights has been mortally wounded with his preventive detention legislation. He is a war president who has simultaneously drone-bombed five countries and then told congress there was no need to trigger the War Powers Act because no Americans were killed. "Humanitarian military intervention" now trumps "national sovereignty" and centuries of international law. He is out-Bushing George Bush.
Last edited by Stella_Guru on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:12 am

rabble wrote:Obama is so bad that if he wins it means the GOP is useless and must be destroyed so that a new truly conservative party can rise from the ashes!

Sounds good to me! That is why I strongly favor Obama in November.

Though I don't want a new conservative party to arise. Conservatives are little different from progressives.

I want to see a new liberal (libertarian) party rise up. The Tea Party is a good start. I thought perhaps Ron Paul might be able to do it but was disappointed. Even had some hopes in 2010 for Sarah Palin.

Go Obama!

"Worse is better" VI Lenin

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:22 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:I want to see a new liberal (libertarian) party rise up. The Tea Party is a good start... Even had some hopes in 2010 for Sarah Palin.
Go Obama!

John Henry

Thanks for making my point.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:54 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Even had some hopes in 2010 for Sarah Palin.

But not anymore? Did you give her a taste of her own medicine by quitting on her?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:13 pm

Oh, promises promises.

The GOP is going to shut down about the same time Texas secedes.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:29 pm

O.J. wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:Even had some hopes in 2010 for Sarah Palin.

But not anymore? Did you give her a taste of her own medicine by quitting on her?

Huh?

I've given up hope for 2012, but not on her. If she runs in 2016 I will support her wholeheartedly. So wholeheartedly I will probably even send money to her campaign.

So, no, I have not quit on her. I still love her as much as I ever did. I still like her more than any other politician I can think of in my lifetime, though Ron Paul is pretty close.

If, somehow, she became a candidate in 2012 I would drop my support for Obama like a hot rock.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:55 pm

rabble wrote:GOP is useless and must be destroyed[/url] so that a new truly conservative party can rise from the ashes!

Not so fast. The Phoenix is rising.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81111.html

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012 ... 12638.html

It is very interesting to me how these things work out.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:00 am

It is interesting, but note the White House meeting with the Bushes was last January although the book announcement is from September.

The GOP isn't going anywhere. It may be adrift at the moment, but that's just a power vacuum waiting to be filled, for good or ill.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:27 am

Underlying the whole "shut 'em down if we lose!" thing is the "They'll try to blame conservatives" mantra that Rush is most vocal about.

They appear to be setting up the base with a scapegoat, but the big picture is eluding me here. I agree with Stella that Obama is one of the best friends the Military Industrial Complex has right now but he's also breaking a lot of liberal ground too.

It's almost as if Koch and friends started the Tea Party and the vilify Obama rage fest without ever thinking they might lose control of it and be unable to make any compromises without backlash.

But that couldn't be. They're too smart for that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:30 am

That is what happens when you start a war with no vision for the future beyond winning.....
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:39 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:I still like her more than any other politician I can think of in my lifetime, though Ron Paul is pretty close.

That is so very, very sad. I'm curious as to what experience and character traits you find so endearing.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:I still like her more than any other politician I can think of in my lifetime, though Ron Paul is pretty close.

That is so very, very sad. I'm curious as to what experience and character traits you find so endearing.

It's probably the 270-degree mullet she sports--very fetching.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government